Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-08-2023, 05:56 AM   #1
leschek
Enthusiast
leschek began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Poke2
How to set book to be shown in default fonts

I would like to ask, how can I set the book to be shown in default fonts (included in it).
I have problem with Czech - Hindi dictionary, it shows ????? instead of Devanāgarī script.
I'm pretty sure it was working correctly a year or so ago, when I opened the book last time. Also when I look into the book in Sigil I can see that some fonts are included in the book (MyriadProE-It.otf, MyriadProE-Light.otf, MyriadProE-Semibold.otf).
When I think about it, I would like to have every book shown in default font and then, if I need I would change the font of the particular book to something else.
leschek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 07:46 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Try the toggle "Enable embedded fonts" in the bottom menu.
hius07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 06:18 AM   #3
leschek
Enthusiast

First I would like to apologise for the late reply. I totally forget about that.

I also would like to thank you for the reply, but unfortunately it didn't help.

Here are some screenshots. First two are obviously from KOReader (with embedded fonts Off and On) and last one is from Moon+ Reader, where the fonts works as expected.

Old Today, 05:47 AM   #4
jonnyl
Enthusiast
jonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toys

Device: Likebook Mars
I googled your embedded font's name and it doesn't look like that is a font with Hindi glyphs. Does Hindi script display correctly in other books (without embedded fonts)? If not, or if you don't use any other Hindi books, I suggest you try downloading and installing some free Hindi fonts (.otf or .ttf; just copy them to your /koreader/fonts/ directory). (I suggest several because KOReader can sometimes be a bit picky about fonts and rejects some that don't meet certain technical criteria.)
jonnyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:10 AM   #5
leschek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyl View Post
Does Hindi script display correctly in other books (without embedded fonts)?
No, I downloaded Mahabharata from github and it shows ????? - the same as my book.

Quote:
I suggest you try downloading and installing some free Hindi fonts (.otf or .ttf; just copy them to your /koreader/fonts/ directory). (I suggest several because KOReader can sometimes be a bit picky about fonts and rejects some that don't meet certain technical criteria.)
I don't have the /koreader/fonts/ directory. Should I create it?

There is another thing I forgot to mention. I have this issue with KOReader on my android phone. I also have Boox e-book reader (also android) and the book shows correct characters on it. I looked (with file explorer) into koreader folder (in the Boox e-book reader) and didn't find the fonts directory there either.

While the book works on the Boox e-book reader, I usually opened it on my phone, when I was in restaurant waiting for food or show it somebody to ask something. Boox E-book reader is starting just painfully slow so it's not so useful.
Advert
Old Today, 09:41 AM   #6
jonnyl
Enthusiast
jonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toysjonnyl shares his or her toys

Android devices have to be jailbroken for you to be able to access the directory for system fonts. So user fonts can be added to the /koreader/fonts/ directory you can create manually on Android.

If you go to your Fonts list (Top menu, 2nd icon, Font) do you have a list of Noto Serif fonts for a variety of languages installed? If Wikipedia served me right, the one you need is Noto Serif Devanagari. This is normally shipped with KOReader AFAIK, but perhaps your version is a different flavor. If you don't have it installed, you can add it manually in the new directory.
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #7
leschek
Enthusiast

In the font list I found the Noto Serif Devanagari script, so I didn't need to add it to /koreader/fonts/ directory.
I opened the Mahabharata book (mentioned before) and it's working as should after selecting the Noto Serif Devanagari script. Unfortunately it doesn't work with Czech - Hindi dictionary.
Is there any other setting I should look into?
Old Today, 10:35 AM   #8
jonnyl
Enthusiast

Interesting. So the Devanagari font is installed on both your phone and the Boox reader, and both are Android, but the Czech-Hindi dictionary only works on the Boox? Are the KOReader versions the same?
Old Today, 11:32 AM   #9
leschek
Enthusiast

Quote:
Are the KOReader versions the same?
Yes, the same version on both devices - 2024.04-228

It seems it's fixed - at least partially. It's embarrassing, but somehow I changed (on phone) setting "Embedded fonts" to "ON". Now, when I changed it back to "OFF" it was working with Devanagari font, but there were problems with some Czech letters (Š...), so I changed it to "FreeSans" font and it works just fine. But on Boox e-reader I can have "Embedded fonts" "ON" or "OFF" and both options works (there are only some changes in appearance).

Thank you very much for your help. I wouldn't be able to find the correct settings without it.