Notices

Old 01-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
ggurman
ggurman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (K3)
Book title displays differently in Kindle after metadata change

I subscribe to a series of books that are titled as follows:

Grantville Gazette, Volume XX

The problem with this title format is that my Kindle doesn't display the whole thing unless I select it, and then it scrolls to show the whole thing. So, what I do is to change the metadata so the title is...

Grantville Gazette - Vol XX

After this, it displays correctly in Calibre but not on the Kindle. On the Kindle it displays as if I hadn't changed it.

Now, I will confess here that I used to get these books by torrenting them, but last year I paid for the subscription. When I was torrenting them, I rarely got them in MOBI format. they were usually in .LIT or ePub. I would load them inot Calibre, convert them, and change the title at the same time. This worked just fine and the title displayed correctly.

The problem I'm having now is specific to the "legal" ones, which I always get in MOBI format.

Any idea what the problem is? Does it have anything to do with not having to convert the format?

TIA
ggurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggurman View Post
Does it have anything to do with not having to convert the format?
ggurman - probably/sort of - when you change metadata it only changes the database (catalogue)

Try the Embed Metadata feature (Ctrl+E) on a book and put that on the Kindle. If you want an icon to click you may have to add it to the toolbar. You can use Embed Metadata on multiple books - just select them in the 'usual' way and press Ctrl+E, click icon etc.

There are other ways, but IMO that's probably the simplest.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Try the Embed Metadata feature (Ctrl+E)...
whoops, Ctrl+E is my customisation, so you'll probably have to add it to a Toolbar, or add a Keyboard shortcut - sorry for the mislead.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Also after updating Calibre, remember to Polish the AZW3 (polish does not work on Mobi)
ignore above
you have a K2
You will probably need to use the Plugboard as kindle has no series field
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:44 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As long as calibre is set to update metadata when sending books, the changes should be reflected in the exported ebook when you use Send-to-device.

Unless the book is a dual-MOBI (has both mobi7 and KF8 components).
calibre cannot update the metadata headers in a dual-MOBI ebook.

You would need to use KindleUnpack to split the book into its component MOBI and AZW3 formats.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
ggurman

Thank you very much to everyone who replied to my request for help. Sorry it took so long for me to follow up. I put off doing anything until I had another book to add, which wasn't until today.

Anyway, I tried Embed Metadata and it didn't work, so I installed the KindleUnpack plugin, ran it on the newest book, imported the mobi8 version into Calibre, edited the metadata, sent it to the Kindle, and voila!

Thanks again for the help!

(Incidentally, theducks, what I have is a Kindle Keyboard (formerly known as the Kindle 3).)
Old 02-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggurman View Post
Thank you very much to everyone who replied to my request for help. Sorry it took so long for me to follow up. I put off doing anything until I had another book to add, which wasn't until today.

Anyway, I tried Embed Metadata and it didn't work, so I installed the KindleUnpack plugin, ran it on the newest book, imported the mobi8 version into Calibre, edited the metadata, sent it to the Kindle, and voila!

Thanks again for the help!
Happy to help!

Quote:
(Incidentally, theducks, what I have is a Kindle Keyboard (formerly known as the Kindle 3).)
<== Update your profile, it says you have a K2.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
ggurman

Okay, I have a new conundrum.

I used the above method to modify the names of 25 files. Then I removed the old ones from the Kindle and sent the new versions back to it. The problem is that only 3 of them appear in the file list on the Kindle. I looked in the folders on the F: (Kindle) drive while it was plugged in, and the files are all there.

Any idea why this is?

(Incidentally, the issue that I'm currently reading, and the next one are 2 of the 3 I can see. I just like to have the old issues around. So this isn't an emergency, but I would like to fix it.)

TIA
Old 02-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
ggurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Happy to help!
<== Update your profile, it says you have a K2.
Oops! Fixed!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

If the books are in a collection and the title is unexpectedly changed, weird things can happen in my experience with a KT, so most probably with a KK as well.

Make sure you delete the old copies, unplug the Kindle and let it notice they are missing, and then send the new copies.
Alternatively, delete the collections they were in and rebuild the collections from scratch (or via the Kindle Collections plugin). Obviously this is the hard way.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
ggurman

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If the books are in a collection and the title is unexpectedly changed, weird things can happen in my experience with a KT, so most probably with a KK as well.

Make sure you delete the old copies, unplug the Kindle and let it notice they are missing, and then send the new copies.
Alternatively, delete the collections they were in and rebuild the collections from scratch (or via the Kindle Collections plugin). Obviously this is the hard way.
Thanks very much! This worked perfectly (no need to delete collections).