Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM   #1
Whip
Whip began at the beginning.

Device: none
how to use command line to automatically create ToC from all headings?

Hello,

I want to use the command line to convert an html book to epub and select the setting "Generate ToC from all headings." I don't see this option available in the command line interface in the documentation, but it is available in the calibre edit GUI.

Currently, I have to drag the html into calibre, convert to epub, click edit on the converted file, open the ToC GUI, delete the auto-generated ToC, then click "Generate ToC from all headings".

Can someone tell me how to automate this process from the command line with ebook-convert, ebook-edit, or some other tool?

Thank you!
Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/gen...le-of-contents
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM   #3
Whip

I looked at that documentation and I don't see an option for exactly what I'm looking for.

Is there a flag for "Generate ToC from all headings"? When I click that button in the GUI, the ToC comes out perfectly. I just don't see a command-line flag for that setting. Can you please point me to it?
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
ebook-convert input_file output_file [options]

Did you scroll down in the Help file? There is a TOC section with options
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #5
Whip

I do not see any setting described in the help documentation that does what I am asking for. I specifically want a command line option that matches the GUI button for "Generate ToC from all headings"

None of the flags in the documentation that I've found describe that option. Do you know how I could select that setting from the command line?
Advert
Old Yesterday, 10:45 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There is no such flag. You need to specify the level1 through level3 settings manually. The button in the GUI does just that under the hood. Read their docs to understand what you need to put there, or look at the conversion log of the GUI conversion to see what values those settings have.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toc, toc creation