Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
CiaraG
Enthusiast
CiaraG began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Having a number of problems with Cybook!

Hello,

As of yesterday I have been having problems with my Cybook Gen3 and have emailed Bookeen about them but I was wondering if any one else had experienced anything similar.

The first problem is that the Cybook is no longer retaining any of my user settings - font size choice, filter, file format showing, auto power off etc. Every time I turn the Cybook on I now have to reset everything. And with the font size, I have to set this with each book I open. No settings are being retained.

This problem only occurred yesterday. I thought it was because I had created author sub-folders within the Ebook folder. I did this in order to sort by file path (which then groups the books by author). This morning I put all books back in the Ebook folder directly and removed the sub - folders. This has made no difference to the problem in retaining the settings. It has also resulted in the disappearance of approximately 18 books. Some of their .tb2 extensions are there but the book file itself is missing. They are not in the Trash folder.

Lastly, I am now unable to transfer any books to the Cybook. The message which appears during the transfer is:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "Cybook UserGuide_1_0.prc" could not be read or written (Error Code -36).

This message has appeared from the beginning when I first used the Cybook, but only with a small number of pdf files. I had assumed it was a problem with the file I was trying to transfer, but this is now happening with every book - both pdf and prc.

Has anyone had any of these problems?

CiaraG.
CiaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:04 AM   #2
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaraG View Post
The first problem is that the Cybook is no longer retaining any of my user settings - font size choice, filter, file format showing, auto power off etc. Every time I turn the Cybook on I now have to reset everything. And with the font size, I have to set this with each book I open. No settings are being retained.
That the font size was not saved happened for me once but I think the problem disappeared when I read another book or after I reset the machine.

Quote:
Lastly, I am now unable to transfer any books to the Cybook. The message which appears during the transfer is:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "Cybook UserGuide_1_0.prc" could not be read or written (Error Code -36).

This message has appeared from the beginning when I first used the Cybook, but only with a small number of pdf files. I had assumed it was a problem with the file I was trying to transfer, but this is now happening with every book - both pdf and prc.
This sounds like a broken file system or a broken SD card. If the font settings and other stuff are saved in files then this could explain this problem also. Under Linux I would run fsck on the file system. I do not know how you do the same thing in Windows.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 04:17 PM   #3
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Ok, I never had this problem, and I'm not a computer genius, but . . .

I would delete the User's Guide (with the other two associated files, of course) and download it again in case your copy is corrupted. Seems like an obvious place to start.

I would guess it's the mobipocket.param file in your eBooks folder that holds the user settings information. Maybe delete it and let the system recreate it.

Also, hasn't anyone saved their system folder to their hard drive in case the one on your Cybook becomes corrupted? I have. Haven't needed it, but glad to know it's there.

I am using sub-folders in the eBook folder without any problems, so I don't imagine that's your problem.

Last edited by cmbs; 01-14-2008 at 04:26 PM.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:29 AM   #4
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input. I have tried downloading and transferring books on two different Mac's and nothing works. Deleting the parameter file also has no effect on the settings. So at this stage I have a Cybook which will accept no new files (in any format) and will not retain any settings.

I have had no response from Bookeen at all, not even an acknowledgement that they have received my email. I sent a further email this morning, but I am not holding my breath!

CiaraG.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It sounds as though the internal file system is corrupt. I'd suggest:

1. Making a backup copy of the "System" folder.
2. Reformating the disk.
3. Copying back the system folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 05:29 AM   #6
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Thanks Harry,

Just had an email from Bookeen with the solution (reflash procedure) which I will try later tonight - I need my SD card to run this and of course I don't have it with me! Hopefully it works!

CiaraG
Old 01-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
ricdiogo
Gutenberger
ricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enoughricdiogo will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaraG View Post
This problem only occurred yesterday. I thought it was because I had created author sub-folders within the Ebook folder.
Same happened to me. As soon as I've deleted the subfolders, it was all right again.
ricdiogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Just thought I would update.

The fix that Bookeen emailed worked perfectly - thankfully!

Just to test it out I re-created author sub-folders in the Ebook folder and the problems occurred all over again. While the sub-folders appear to work for some as a means of grouping by author, it definitely hasn't worked for me.

Also, the Error -36 (i/o error) started to re-appear after I'd put approx. 50 books onto the unit. Just transferred the rest to my SD card and they read fine from that. I thought the Cybook would store up to approx. 300 ebooks, but obviously not.

Anyway, I have a working unit again and am happily catching up on my reading!

CiaraG
Old 01-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Strange, I have created some sub folders and it works. What kind of names did you give the folders? Did you use strange characters in the folder names?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
David B
David B began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook GEN3
Subfolders worked fine for me. Did Booken gave any indication in the email they sent you?
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hey CiaraG,

mind putting down the steps you took to solve your issues? Maybe one day somebody else might have the same problem and sure is going to be happy to find a solution here
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote