Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 02:37 AM   #1
heimskringla
heimskringla began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
350 Discontinued?

I just went to Sony Style to see about purchasing a PRS 350sc as an upgrade for my PRS 300, and Sony Style says that the 350 is no longer available at their website. Are they introducing a new reader in this size/price range or discontinuing sales?
heimskringla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:49 AM   #2
Irian
Enthusiast
Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Irian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-650, Tolino Vision 3 HD, Kobo Libra H20
If I try to order the PRC 350 from the Sony Style page, I get the info, that it is "in stock" and would be shipped on monday.
Irian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
seems like we get rumors around here all the time about the 650 being discontinued! But then it comes back in stock. It seems that the Sony site (and other sites) just use the wrong stock messaging (discontinued vs out of stock). It will come back.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
I was confused by this recently, too. You've likely selected pink. Go back and chose silver and you can "order now".

However, at this moment, Borders is advertising both the pink and silver at $129 vs Sony's $179.
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #5
readergirl218
Enthusiast
readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.readergirl218 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 (white), Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-300,
prs-350

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimskringla View Post
I just went to Sony Style to see about purchasing a PRS 350sc as an upgrade for my PRS 300, and Sony Style says that the 350 is no longer available at their website. Are they introducing a new reader in this size/price range or discontinuing sales?
Maybe Sony is discontinuing the pink model...silver is still available on the Sony site (USA).
readergirl218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
spaze
Addict
spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spaze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Writing my first short story: Guardian Angel
Seems like nobody wants the pink model and this is why it is mostly cheaper than the gray ones.
spaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #7
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I wanted a pink one. I got mine from B&H for $129 last weekend. It is now discontinued there. Last time I looked the silver was still available there & a few other places like Adorama & Micro Center. And one of them still had the pink. Our Best Buy never carried the pink but still has the silver on sale.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I wanted pink too! I got mine for $129 from the Sony website when they had their Valentine's Day sale. Pink seems to be a popular choice from all the postings here. I would guess that it sold well enough in the 300 model and that's why they kept it as a color option for the 350. More than likely discontinued is inaccurate and really should be an out-of-stock message based on Sony's past website history...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Strange brew............

I have a theory - I think Sony honchos just decided that it would be good to get into the ereader market, and issued a directive...........

They then forgot they'd done it.

Meanwhile, the ereader development dept just kept toodling on, bringing out the odd new model, updates, etc... as they were supposed to, but forgot to keep in touch with the marketing people...........

The marketing dept did a launch programme way back, but then forgot they'd done it - apart from a guy in a back office somewhere who was appointed ereader liason back at the start...........

Everyone's forgotten about him, so he's snowed under, struggles to do a decent job, but has forgotten who he should be reporting to, and anyway hasn't got time to waste talking to the suits.............
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Waterstones in the UK are certainly still selling the pink model.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't think they are dropping the pink. I think they keep selling out of it.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Sony does not sell the 950 7" model in Canada (never has). At Sonystyle.ca, the 650, all colours, are "out of stock" (at $249 btw); which leaves only the 5" PRC350 sold in Canada (at $199). To correlate, Future Shop in Canada no longer have stock of the 650 online (although stock is available in select stores). Again, the 350 is available online and in-store. And Best Buy in Canada has stopped carrying the 650 altogether -- online or in-store.

Meanwhile, Kobo WiFi is $149 in the stores (and the original Kobo is $69 refurbished at Future Shop and $79 at Best Buy).

One more thing: Staples in Canada only carries the Sony 350 as well; and recently started to carry Kobo. Hmmmm.

So, what's up? Sony planning on pulling out of the Canadian market, at least with the 650 model?

Last edited by SensualPoet; 04-11-2011 at 09:03 PM. Reason: typos; Staples info
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I keep wondering whether they're on the verge of releasing a reader with different screen tech -- possibly mirasol.

However, Sony Store in the States just got in some new readers, so perhaps you're next.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
kjm00
kjm00 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader and my Blackberry (Mobipocket)
Odd availability/clearance at Best Buy

PRS-350 is only $119 in the "outlet center", with random availability -- not from BestBuy.com, but from some of the stores. PRS-950 is backordered from BestBuy.com, but is available at some stores.

Also, SonyRewards.com -- the Sony-labelled credit card rewards store -- has no Readers available as of this morning.

Ken
kjm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
I have a theory - I think Sony honchos just decided that it would be good to get into the ereader market, and issued a directive...........

They then forgot they'd done it.

Meanwhile, the ereader development dept just kept toodling on, bringing out the odd new model, updates, etc... as they were supposed to, but forgot to keep in touch with the marketing people...........

The marketing dept did a launch programme way back, but then forgot they'd done it - apart from a guy in a back office somewhere who was appointed ereader liason back at the start...........

Everyone's forgotten about him, so he's snowed under, struggles to do a decent job, but has forgotten who he should be reporting to, and anyway hasn't got time to waste talking to the suits.............
I think you're exactly right!
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote