Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old Today, 10:19 AM   #1
kolbinski
kolbinski began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
How to ovewrite an existing book and replace metadata?

I want to add a newer copy of my book and replace the metadata as well so it reflects the newer version but for some reason it only adds the new book as a duplicate entry instead of replacing the older version. HOw can i replace the book with a newer version along with metadata withhout manually deleting the book each time.
kolbinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:27 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
On a Kindle? You can't.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #3
kolbinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
On a Kindle? You can't.
I nvever said it was for kindle i meant on calibre how to do that.
Old Today, 10:34 AM   #4
kolbinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
On a Kindle? You can't.
Also didnt you see the forum topic this is for calibre - library management so i want to know how to do it on calibre.
Old Today, 11:27 AM   #5
sgmoore
Connoisseur
sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sgmoore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The easiest way is to delete the old book and import the new one. Is that acceptable?

You can also merge books, but parts of the metadata may be combined and if the formats are different then you may end up with both formats.

You need to start by highlighting the new book (so that the new metadata is preferred), then highlight the old book and press M.
sgmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Today, 11:33 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolbinski View Post
Also didnt you see the forum topic this is for calibre - library management so i want to know how to do it on calibre.
Really?
How many times have you seen MR users post in the wrong forum?
I am using Calibre, so that must be where I post a basic (x)HTML question"

If you are doing a TOTAL REPLACEMENT, why does it matter? Add a new, delete the old.
That leaves Calibre ready for those that prefer to keep both versions.

OTOH
If you just wanted to replace (mostly) a single item about the book...

Open the Metadata Editor: You can drop a New version of the book on top of the old format (or just add a different FORMAT), Drop a New cover, or Comments (I frequently Copy and Paste descriptions from web pages this way)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #7
kolbinski

That works thank you. I normally merge the book but i wasnt sure if there was a way to overrwite and replace the metadat when addig a new version of the same book since a lot of the time the metadata gets updated as well taht is why i asked