Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-17-2023, 12:21 PM   #1
MrWhale
MrWhale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Using Mac OS File Dialog UI for Save/Insert/Open/etc

Hello, It appears that Sigil now uses it's own file browser dialog boxes for navigating your OS' files. I have some deep folder structures and it's very frustrating having to manually click through folders to get to the image file I want to add or select a new save location.

Is there a way to make Sigil use the computer's built-in file browser UI? Plugin? Pref adjusts?

Normally on Mac, for me, using the system UI equates to being able to drag folders into the save/open dialog box and instantly update the file dialog box to the dragged-in directory. With Sigil's built-in file dialog boxes, it appears manual navigation is the only option for getting to a folder.

I'm on a Mac, using Sigil 1.9.10. Have not seen another post on this or any options within Sigil itself to change this.

Thanks
MrWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 01:22 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There is a reason, but I'll let Kevin explain it in detail. Basically, it's because using Mac's built-in file browser tends to expose a lot of Qt stupidity (they are Qt's file dialogs and not Sigil's, for what its worth). There is no preference to change it.

A few comments about it can be found at the end of the commit-list, here: https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...6a2838e26b4704

Perhaps we'll be able to revisit macOS native dialogs with Qt6, but Kevin's the Sigil-on-macOS expert, so I'll leave that up to him.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-17-2023 at 01:27 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2023, 04:27 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
And you can set Folders that are remembered in the left hand side window in these. So no functionality is lost.

Use the dialog to navigate to any folder you want fast access to and then grab it in the right hand side window and drag and drop it onto the left hand side window.

It will be remembered.

Last edited by KevinH; 05-17-2023 at 04:35 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 11:38 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Oh, cool! I didn't realize I could do this. Very useful. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... Use the dialog to navigate to any folder you want fast access to and then grab it in the right hand side window and drag and drop it onto the left hand side window.

It will be remembered.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 12:47 PM   #5
MrWhale
MrWhale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you very much for the reply! Appreciate the info and the notes link. Thought maybe it was something in my settings since I think it used to be supported in older versions.

There are a few common/strategic start-point locations so I also appreciate that note on how to save favorites (drag folder to left hand favorites area). That should speed things up a bit for a good portion of things.

Thanks!
MrWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2023, 02:15 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
We are trying to support building back to Qt 5.10 and back to MacOS 10.13 but various combinations had issues with crashing or missing native file dialogs over the years. Moving to Qt non-native file dialogs prevented those issues. Once we move to Qt6 and have to drop support for macOS versions less than 11.0 (or 10.14) I will try using native file dialogs again to see if they have fixed the issues.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dialog, file browsing, save/open options, system ui