Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 02-01-2016, 04:42 AM   #1
lhuxley
lhuxley began at the beginning.

Device: various
Font change in Insert Character dialog?

Is there any way to change the font that Calibre uses in its Insert Character dialog? I would like to change the font to Gnu Unifont, so that I can at least see all available characters.
lhuxley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:55 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the font used for that is whatever font you have set for the calibre GUI in general. And changing it to unifont shouldn;t make any difference, since Qt by default uses font fallbacks if the specified fnot does not have a particular character.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
lhuxley

Thanks Kovid,

You are correct. However, changing the interface font to Unifont is a terrible price to pay, since the font is totally unhinted and is almost illegible at 8 points. (And now that I've changed the default font away from "ms shell dlg 2", there doesn't seem to be any way to get it back.)

On Windows the font fallback scheme only seems to involve specially selected Microsoft fonts, so there are lots of holes in the special character tables.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Try “Microsoft Sans Serif”
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 01:54 AM   #5
lhuxley

Apparently many Microsoft fonts don't have a glyph for ellipsis (..., which is used in the Calibre interface). Given the poor state of glyph mapping on Windows, nothing maps into its place, leaving black blobs at the ends of lines in Calibre.

I did try Microsoft Sans Serif, and it works fine. However I went digging and Microsoft says that the actual font mapping is to Tahoma, (which is perhaps their best hinted font for small text sizes).
Advert