Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #31
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
I wonder how the revenue model works for Overdrive... I suspect that they get paid a fee by the libraries. If it is a pay per use, Kobo and Overdrive would have good motivation to make borrowing as easy as possible. It may just be a flat rate per library or book.
Overdrive is a local company for me in the Cleveland Ohio area. I encouraged my son, who just graduated with a degree in Computer Science, to apply for work with Overdrive, and therefore guaranteed that would never send them an application. (He is gainfully employed with an excellent company, accomplished without his father's manipulation.)
I hope Overdrive does well, and I hope we get Overdrive on the old Aura!
Maintenance fees and a cut of ebook sales.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:47 AM   #32
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post

Nope. Sorry.

https://twitter.com/KoboHelp/status/767718784572399617
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #33
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
212dpi puts it behind the paperwhite on arguably the most important spec. It is cheaper being ad free. This is a misstep overall, I have to say.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
212dpi puts it behind the paperwhite on arguably the most important spec. It is cheaper being ad free. This is a misstep overall, I have to say.
Actually, the 212dpi might be an advantage. When you have graphics in a book, they won't look as small. A lot of books don't have high enough resolution so having a lower resolution device means those graphics are easier to see.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 12:51 PM   #35
freekobo
Addict
freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.freekobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
@KoboHelp was corrected by the CEO.

Michael Tamblyn ‏@mtamblyn
@jon5798 @KoboHelp @kobo Yes it does!

https://twitter.com/mtamblyn/status/768488496331759616
freekobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #36
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur
TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
@freekobo - That, if accurate (and Mr T is the CEO so he should know!) is pretty sweet.

Anyone looking forward more to this than the Aura One? I'm not that keen on such a large device myself nor one with small flush bezels (raised is better, that is a fact).

This is looking pretty sweet compared to my 5 year old Kobo Touch.
TheHazardsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is still the H2O. If you want larger but not that larger.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #38
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHazardsDuke View Post
@freekobo - That, if accurate (and Mr T is the CEO so he should know!) is pretty sweet.

Anyone looking forward more to this than the Aura One? I'm not that keen on such a large device myself nor one with small flush bezels (raised is better, that is a fact).

This is looking pretty sweet compared to my 5 year old Kobo Touch.
The sensor could be a nice extra if they get the software right, but I don't think it makes up for the Glo HD having a better screen for $10 more (plus IIRC the Glo HD is on sale right now). Just my opinion.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #39
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
yes, the Glo HD is on sale right now, for $20 off. In Canada at least.

The sale makes me wonder if they're trying to burn off inventory to start the phase-out of both the H2O and the Glo HD...
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 10:47 AM   #40
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur
TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheHazardsDuke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wouldn't surprise me if they do look to discontinue the Glo HD & Aura H20 over the next few months. Does seem like they've got a new 'theme' going on with the design of the Aura Edition 2/ Aura One.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I cannot see doing away with the H2O as that fills a larger than 6" but not as large as 7.8".
Old 08-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #42
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur

True but sometime down the road they could just offer the Aura One with two screen sizes.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:00 PM   #43
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
@freekobo -
I'm not that keen on such a large device myself nor one with small flush bezels (raised is better, that is a fact).
I thought flush was better! I better check my facts.

I do like the idea of the light sensor, but the 212 ppi is pretty outdated.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #44
TheHazardsDuke
Connoisseur

@Ksquared - I have it on good authority from both NASA and God that a) raised is better and b) the bird is indeed equal to or greater than the word.

Yeah 212 ppi isn't great but from my pov it's still a step up from the 165 ppi of the original Touch (don't know if the Touch 2.0 increased the resolution or not).

I wonder if Kobo will at some point phase out the Touch 2.0 and make this the new entry level device. If this had directly replaced the Touch 2.0 it would have made alot more sense in their line-up.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:00 PM   #45
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I cannot see doing away with the H2O as that fills a larger than 6" but not as large as 7.8".
Quote:
True but sometime down the road they could just offer the Aura One with two screen sizes.
It's possible, but since a large e-reader is a niche of a niche overall product I can't see them keeping both. Just doesn't make sense from an inventory perspective. Sure there are a few benefits of the H2O over the A1 (size to some, IR touch/raised bevel to some, price) but they aren't overwhelming enough to keep 2 products IMHO.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote