Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #31
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
We've added the psych module to our Kobo's. See the Developers forum for more info...
That makes sense... however, most of the rest of us instead added the psychic(Kreskin Mark II) module... ;-)

Sorry Murg, I just hadta...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 AM   #32
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd prefer a torrent solution - then they could improve it one bit at at time

but, more seriously, the concepts of what's new, change logs, older version repositories, version numbers shown alongside current download options - those are all somehow un-Canadian ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #33
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Ay...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If anyone is interested, it appears that desktop 3.7.0 has been re-issued with a new date (2014-Apr-24) but with the same build identifier. The certificate is time-stamped for 2014-Apr-28 so mayhap they took a couple of days for testing before release.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:29 PM   #35
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
so we'll never know what wonderful goodies were in the shortlived v3.7 ?

how do Kobo tell the world ( if at all) that there is a new version of desktop software available for download ?
Kobo pushes new releases…
No official announcements for new releases...
And definitely no official announcements concerning software failures or bugs... let alone solutions or work arounds for installation issues.
No info in FAQ…
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #36
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
I had done a manual update to the desktop 3.6.0

and had no issues with it at all, at the end of the update it had an open windows that said update available and I did it all over it again. Had no issues after it was done.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If anyone is interested, it appears that desktop 3.7.0 has been re-issued with a new date (2014-Apr-24) but with the same build identifier. The certificate is time-stamped for 2014-Apr-28 so mayhap they took a couple of days for testing before release.

Regards,
David
What is the build number? I'd like to verify that the test build I'm running is the released build.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What is the build number? I'd like to verify that the test build I'm running is the released build.
8eb9c1f8b2

The oddity to me is that both releases of 3.7.0 have the same build number. Probably just means the issue was in the installer code but still, inquiring minds would love to know...

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #39
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Same build I have... Oh well
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #40
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
8eb9c1f8b2

The oddity to me is that both releases of 3.7.0 have the same build number. Probably just means the issue was in the installer code but still, inquiring minds would love to know...

Regards,
David
Or Kobo is reusing the build number. Not that this hasn't happened in the past...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #41
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I've updated the first post of the Direct Links thread to reflect this.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:19 AM   #42
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In google play store the kobo androd app was updated on May 1st.

But after this recent fun with thedesktop upgrade, I don't want to be the 1st person to scream MAYDAY after my tablets screw up.

So is anyone else planning to test it - pretty please

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droid&hl=en_GB

What's New
With this update, you can now enjoy:
1. Better support for Interactive Fixed Layout EPUBs
2. Increased speed and stability for Fixed Layout EPUBs
3. Easy-to-use download controls for larger Libraries
4. Upgraded Guided Reading for magazines
5. Usability improvements and bug fixes
Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 AM   #43
TheAuldGrump
TheAuldGrump began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Touch, Kindle Keyboard 3G
I have a weird, associated, problem - same build, but different problem.

The first time through the installer had difficulty fining VC_Red.MSI.

I found the file, the install seemed to go fine, but the font used on the Kobo menu bars was a very ornate Blackletter style font... and no matter how I uninstall and reinstall the program, even going back to a very old version, the font remains that illegible Blackletter....

Kobo Problem by YeAuldGrump, on Flickr

The Auld Grump
TheAuldGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 AM   #44
cybmole
Wizard

I have 3.8.0 instaslled ok now on the PC that did not like 3.7.0

2 wquestions :
1. is it not possible to force a sideload epub into the desktop app to see how it displays.
2. where's the best place to post questions about the Kobo android app. I am wanting to solve the mystery of why, when I import an epub into that app, I get 2 title/cover pages :1/2 = blank, 2/2 shows cover picture.
It does hot happen with my Aura HD, only with my android tablets + sideloads. ( so Q1 was to see what happened with same book cover in desktop, but it seems that I can't try that)
PS all my covers are neatly updated by the modify e-pub plug in so there is some issue with how android version handles that cover code methinks.
that code, which varies only to take the appropriate image dimension & file name is
Code:
<head>
  <meta content="true" name="calibre:cover" />

<title>Cover</title>

<style type="text/css">
@page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
</style>
</head>

<body>
  <div>
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 310 500" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image height="500" width="310" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpeg"></image>
    </svg>
  </div>
</body>
Old 05-21-2014, 10:47 AM   #45
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I have 3.8.0 instaslled ok now on the PC that did not like 3.7.0

2 wquestions :
1. is it not possible to force a sideload epub into the desktop app to see how it displays.
2. where's the best place to post questions about the Kobo android app. I am wanting to solve the mystery of why, when I import an epub into that app, I get 2 title/cover pages :1/2 = blank, 2/2 shows cover picture.
It does hot happen with my Aura HD, only with my android tablets + sideloads. ( so Q1 was to see what happened with same book cover in desktop, but it seems that I can't try that)
PS all my covers are neatly updated by the modify e-pub plug in so there is some issue with how android version handles that cover code methinks.
that code, which varies only to take the appropriate image dimension & file name is
Code:
<head>
  <meta content="true" name="calibre:cover" />

<title>Cover</title>

<style type="text/css">
@page {padding: 0pt; margin:0pt}
            body { text-align: center; padding:0pt; margin: 0pt; }
</style>
</head>

<body>
  <div>
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 310 500" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <image height="500" width="310" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpeg"></image>
    </svg>
  </div>
</body>

In regards to the Android app issues, there should be an in-app help option that allows you to send a feedback email, or the old school way would be to just drop an email to androidfeedback@kobo.com
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote