Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #16
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasrato View Post
Ok, but my fear is: I'm Jailbroken, and I'm still using a factory version. This will show up in log. This won't generate any problems forme?

Wait. WHAT? If I update to the 5.12.x and the hotfix doesn't work, I'll lose not only my JB but also my connection to amazon?
I'm not sure exactly what they will notice. Obviously they will notice the firmware level itself, but I am unsure if it is easy to tell a factory QC test version from a customer one. I seem to recall one report that there is a script to erase the QC software and leaving only the customer code, but I cannot vouch for this personally. If this is the case there is likely no easy way to detect the factory version other than looking for the QC software.

The problems with the 5.12.x firmware appear to be related to very aggressive attempts to check and upgrade firmware, thus airplane mode. There are even reports of it defeating current measures to block upgrades, but I am unsure this has been confirmed.

I believe the hotfix still works, but at least some 5.12.x versions appear to use the battery up quickly. So there is little reason to go to the 5.12.x level unless you need some of its newer features, which someone else will have to elaborate on.

If I am mistaken in any of this I trust it will be corrected by those here with a more accurate understanding of the current situation than I have.

Dave

Last edited by dhdurgee; 08-09-2019 at 09:17 PM.
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
- - - - -
If I am mistaken in any of this I trust it will be corrected by those here with a more accurate understanding of the current situation than I have.

Dave
As far as I know, you have it all correct.
The current recommendation is: "Stay away from 5.12.anything"
I do know that a few people are working on getting the differences (that affect us) dealt with, but no word on that yet.

We need to keep reminding people how to get an update from the Amazon server for an older than current firmware version.
Hmm...
Maybe that should be a line or two in the new jail breaking sticky.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2019, 11:33 PM   #18
lucasrato
Enthusiast
lucasrato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4
The cool thing is: They don't seem to have the version easily. The attendant called me a couple weeks ago (my kindle wasn't nearby) and she said I'd need to turn on the sync and update my kindle. Then she called me again today and asked to turn on the sync, so I did and she said "oh ok now it's appearing to me, I collected your logs and I'm sending it to maintenance guys", then I received an email saying: "Hey, I just sent them your logs, I also forgot to ask you to check your kindle version, it needs to be 5.12.1, if it already is, no problem, you can just ignore the message, if it isn't, you need to update it"

of course I ignored the email.
lucasrato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #19
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Amazon called me yesterday asking me to update my Kindle. Is it safe already to update to 5.12.1? How do I know when it is?
Old 08-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Depends of your interpretation of "safe"?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #21
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Depends of your interpretation of "safe"?
safe = I won't lose my JB, of course
Old 08-22-2019, 09:29 PM   #22
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then, technically yes, although I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination consider it "safe".
Old 08-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #23
lucasrato
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Then, technically yes, although I wouldn't by any stretch of the imagination consider it "safe".
Well, why not?
Old 08-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Because it's new and overly aggressive in a lot of fun and interesting ways (not).

So, while it's technically, right now, "safe", it might not always be, and you may no longer have any control over that fact.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-23-2019 at 08:58 PM.