Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
PS googling that error leas to a lot of windows related stuff about removable drives. but my Windows set up is fine for everythign exelct this one program !

i read here
http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-...dr3-error.html
that DR3 refers to 3rd entry in disk management table in windows, In my case that is a RAM drive.(R). my C drive is the 4th entry. I wonder if there's some issue with the Kobo installer being confused by RAM drives. I Don't want to have to dismantle my R drive though - I use it for all browser temp internet files & it's very stable. And it has not caused any other installer to glitch.
Is it possible to temporarily disable the RAM drive just to see if it is the cause of the problem?

Also sent you a PM.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-22-2014 at 02:22 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I missed app data/local but all that is in there is a one line file entry in affiliate.conf
[General]
affiliate=Kobo

zapping that is unlikely to help.

stopping my RAM drive is a pain, it takes 2 or 3 reboots to get it stopped & then to get it working properly again. & a trip to disc management is usually also needed to reset the ram drive letter. I't s designed to live through reboots & to be not messed with!
(FYI it is the freeware from RAMDISC )
I'd rather wait to hear from Kobo , unless we find that the other folks on this thread with issues also have RAM drives
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 02:43 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra H2O, Libra Colour
Interesting in that I also have a ramdisk in place; I tend to use it for downloads as it very nicely self cleans up when I reboot.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:03 PM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Interesting in that I also have a ramdisk in place; I tend to use it for downloads as it very nicely self cleans up when I reboot.
RAM disc moves up the list of suspects

but only a badly written installer will glitch on that, surely
Old 04-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
RAM disc moves up the list of suspects

but only a badly written installer will glitch on that, surely
Hmmmm.... badly written installer? There are other kinds?

Regards,
David
Advert
Old 04-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #21
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Just tried it on my Win 7 Pro and it installed no problem. No RAM drive.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:55 AM   #22
cybmole
Wizard

update - to clarify versions.
The installer on kobosetup.com is for version 3.7. It has a digital sig. date of 17 April 2014 in properties and it is 52458 KB

that is the version which crashes on this PC, but which is working on my other "Kobo virgin" win 7 PC

I have been privately sent an installer for version 3.6, digital sig Feb 2014 installer size 50269KB. That worked ok on this PC. But I don't think that is anywhere on the kobo sites now as it is an older version

so something changed between v3.6 and v3.7 which is causing the issue.

When the thread began, I reckon I was upgrading desktop from something older than 3.6, because 3.6 does not prompt for mandatory updateBut I have no copy of that old installer & no record of its version number
Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #23
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I'm getting 3.6.0 off of the Kobo website, and my installed version is not updating to 3.7.0.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 AM   #24
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'm getting 3.6.0 off of the Kobo website, and my installed version is not updating to 3.7.0.
Sounds as if the screams of anguish have been heard!

Regards,
David
Old 04-24-2014, 01:17 AM   #25
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
yes- I tried a new download ( but not an install) & the file size had changed -seems they have quitly pulled the broken version & are going for the zero publicity /let's all pretend it never happened option
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #26
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
It looks like a bad installer from Kobo.

I downloaded the Kobo installer again and ran it.

I am able to open Kobo this time.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually they rolled back to the previous version.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #28
cybmole
Wizard

so we'll never know what wonderful goodies were in the shortlived v3.7 ?

how do Kobo tell the world ( if at all) that there is a new version of desktop software available for download ?
Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 AM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

how do Kobo tell the world ( if at all) that there is a new version of desktop software available for download ?
Normally by auto upgrade when you launch Kobo Desktop, or for the fans here when one person gets it and spreads the news.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #30
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
We've added the psych module to our Kobo's. See the Developers forum for more info...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote