Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #16
manifestor
Connoisseur
manifestor began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZreader, Aluratek Libre Pro
I'd like to know if the process of flashing between different firmwares from Aluratek and Jetbook is reversible. For eg, can I flash the Aluratek's with Jetbook's firmware and go back to Aluratek's firmware later? I read somewhere here that there's some kind of quirk with Aluratek's firmwares which try to identify the reader before flashing. Thanks in advance for your info.
manifestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #17
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
There are now quirks on both ends and it requires patched firmware. I've patched the Aluratek firmware to be able to be flashed onto a jetBook with 0.33g, and tselling patched 0.33g so that you can flash back to jetBook. Right now if you have jetBook 0.34b/c you can't flash to Libre (or vice versa). It's an easy fix, but just would take me time to add the file to bypass the check.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
There are now quirks on both ends and it requires patched firmware. I've patched the Aluratek firmware to be able to be flashed onto a jetBook with 0.33g, and tselling patched 0.33g so that you can flash back to jetBook. Right now if you have jetBook 0.34b/c you can't flash to Libre (or vice versa). It's an easy fix, but just would take me time to add the file to bypass the check.
OMG this is more daunting than I thought. Does it mean if I acquire an Aluratek Libre in the first place, I'd need the patched 0.33g if I wanna try out the Jetbook firmware? And if I flash any version later than the 0.33g (patched one), I CANNOT go back to Libre's firmware anymore on my reader?

It surely is scary...
Old 01-31-2010, 11:35 PM   #19
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's all at your own risk... but what you said sounds correct. I wouldn't do anything at all if you are planning on using DRM, since neither has been confirmed with cross-flashing. I'm a bit over the scare since I've tried the three different Chinese firmwares and both Libre and jetBook firmware on my jetBook. Of course, others were not so lucky -- someone here ended up with a device that was "bricked" for about a month until the battery ran down and it somehow fixed itself.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 AM   #20
manifestor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kralik View Post
It's all at your own risk... but what you said sounds correct. I wouldn't do anything at all if you are planning on using DRM, since neither has been confirmed with cross-flashing. I'm a bit over the scare since I've tried the three different Chinese firmwares and both Libre and jetBook firmware on my jetBook. Of course, others were not so lucky -- someone here ended up with a device that was "bricked" for about a month until the battery ran down and it somehow fixed itself.
I learned not long after I placed my order for the Aluratek Libre that it doesn't support Chinese. It kinda bothers me since Chinese is my first language and it doesn't make any sense if I can't read Chinese books on my reader. I was thinking about using the Dr. Yi's Chinese firmwares but then the format support is inadequate (no mobi, no epub). So I'd like to try out the Jetbook firmware to see if it would suit my needs more.

But then, no pdf reflow...sigh...
Old 02-01-2010, 01:12 AM   #21
manifestor
Connoisseur

duplicated

Last edited by manifestor; 02-02-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #22
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Does the Libre firmware support DRM? And if so, could I put it onto my jetbook? And also if so, would I have to remove the jetbook firmware first?

Also wondering: since the jetbook lite software supports drm, could I swap that out for my jetbook original firmware?

And - even if either of these thoughts are possible, does anyone think either of these would be a good idea, or would they be likely to cause a bunch of headaches?
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #23
Kralik
Guru

The Libre firmware runs ADE and does support DRM. I am currently running it on my jetBook (original) BUT I'm not sure if the cross-flashed firmware supports ADE. I haven't tried.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #24
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Quote:
Does the Libre firmware support DRM? And if so, could I put it onto my jetbook? And also if so, would I have to remove the jetbook firmware first?
yes it does limited but you lose your dictionaries

Quote:
Also wondering: since the jetbook lite software supports drm, could I swap that out for my jetbook original firmware?
No the hardware is different

Quote:
And - even if either of these thoughts are possible, does anyone think either of these would be a good idea, or would they be likely to cause a bunch of headaches?
They are not worth it as the JBL firmware is being release for the JB any time now.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #25
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Okay, thanks everyone. I guess I'll wait a bit then and see if the jb original firmware is updated to support drm. If the update gets stalled for a long time then I'll do as Kralik did and upload the Libre firmware, since I'm not that interested in the jb dictionaries.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:41 PM   #26
GA Russell
Ottawa 5-0-1 at home
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I'm not that interested in the jb dictionaries.
The jetBook dictionary is a real disappointment to me. There has only been one word that I looked up that the dictionary included.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #27
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The jetBook dictionary is a real disappointment to me. There has only been one word that I looked up that the dictionary included.
I found approx 8 from 10 words but it will be nice to add Oxford dictionary
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:27 PM   #28
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Wish there was a quick switch key

I wish there was a way to have one of the buttons on the side of the jetbook open particular books and then one to return.

That way while you are reading you could have one programmed to open the dictionary and then hit a single one to take you back to the previous document you were reading.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote