Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Couple of newbie questions about Jetbook

I'm very excited about my new Jetbook (not lite). I've run into a few problems though:

1) When I first charged the JB using the charger, a screen appeared to tell me that it was charging. But after about 9 hours, the charging screen was still there. So I guess my question is, does JB switch itself off or in some way inform the user that the battery has been completely charged?

2) I've searched this forum about standby vs power-off mode. I read that if you pressed the power button for a few seconds, JB would be turned off completely. I did that, but I found that I could turn it back on quickly with a quick touch of the power button. I guess it was still in standby mode. Could someone tell me how to switch it off completely to conserve battery?

3) The LED lite flickers whenever I flip a page. Is there a way to kill the LED indication?

Thanks!
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
1) When I first charged the JB using the charger, a screen appeared to tell me that it was charging. But after about 9 hours, the charging screen was still there. So I guess my question is, does JB switch itself off or in some way inform the user that the battery has been completely charged?

Answer: You should no longer see the little battery animation flash. It should be steady. It's not a very good way of communicating, IMO, but programmers have to be humored, sometimes.

2) I've searched this forum about standby vs power-off mode. I read that if you pressed the power button for a few seconds, JB would be turned off completely. I did that, but I found that I could turn it back on quickly with a quick touch of the power button. I guess it was still in standby mode. Could someone tell me how to switch it off completely to conserve battery?

Answer: As far as I know, that's as off as it gets. No modern dedicated computer system seems to really turn off. They have to have enough smarts to know the "on" button has been pushed.

3) The LED lite flickers whenever I flip a page. Is there a way to kill the LED indication?

Answer: I don't think so. I believe someone suggested black tape.

Enjoy your new reader.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 PM   #3
Slash5
Slash5 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Sony PRS-505
The standby/power off thing was in early versions of the firmware. It worked that way on my Jetbook before I flashed it.
Since then, it is always standby.

I've noticed that when you do a reset with the power off, then power on, the Jetbook goes through a full boot up process. This makes me think it was fully powered off by the reset.
You could try that to see if it makes any difference
Slash5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

The battery animation was still on after 9 hours. Perhaps I should've waited a little longer.

Well, I just can't turn JB off at all, the best it'd do is to enter standby mode. Pressing the power button for 3 seconds on certain screens (in the middle of the book, or the book list screen) causes the JB to act strange. It turned off after 3 seconds but come on again automatically after I released the button.

Nice ebook reader, but quirky.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
ac9ts
Enthusiast
ac9ts began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook
As far as charging, try using the charger vs. plugging it into a USB port. I had the same deal where the thing kept charging for over 9 hours when plugged into my laptop. At the time, I thought that's just the way it is. The next time, I charged it with my phone charger (plug in to the wall type) and at some point, the animation stopped and the indicator showed a "full" battery. It may have something to do with the supply current from the USB vs the wall charger.
ac9ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #6
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Power down mode

Most laptops have a power down mode on their usb ports.

In order to bw more "green" the power scheme in your laptop may cycle the power down to almost nothing to reduce power consumption. Your jetbook will show it is charging but be in maintenance mode and not getting any charge at all.

Change the power scheme of your laptop or use the wall wart to charge your jetbook.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
If you want the jetBook to be REALLY off, you can push the reset button on the back with the end of a paperclip. But, this is fairly impractical, and it will make it take a long time to boot up.

The battery lasts at least 1-2 weeks in standby, so I don't think conservation is a big issue.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 04:15 AM   #8
greenapple
Evangelist

I owned the jetbook for only a week, but a problem has surfaced.

After transferring ebook files over to jetbook's main memory using the USB, the files didn't appear in the list of books on jetbook. The file list didn't seem to refresh by itself. I had to use the hard reset to get the book list to refresh.

It worked fine when I first got it. Now it has happened 3 times.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #9
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
I have seen this also

What version of the firmware are you running ?

There was a minor bug introduced in some of the firmware updates.

I will assume you are using the internal memory in the jetbook and not an external SD card.

Temporary fix.

The bug does not flush the cache memory properly when the directories are updated, either internal or external.

Even if you are only using internal memory do the following:

With the jetbook powered.
Take an SD card with at least one book on it.
Remove the SD card and wait for the status message that informs you the card was removed. Plug in the SD card. Wait for the message on the screen to complete.

You will now see that any changes in the directories can now be seen.

This also corrects the hourglass of death syndrom on your jetbook.

This is very high on the corrections list. The latest versions of the "lite" do not exibit this problem and within the next few weeks the new upgrade for the "standard" jetbook should fix these issues.

I hope this helps.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
greenapple
Evangelist

Thanks so much, gr8npwrfl. My JB came with v 0.33g firmware.

It happened with books being transferred to the internal memory of my JB. I'll keep the fix in mind if it should occur again.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
greenapple
Evangelist

I think I've found the reason why JB couldn't detect newly transferred ebooks.

This problem only occurred when I plugged my JB to the PC's USB port when the JB was either displaying a page of an ebook, or the book list.

The solution is to go back to the main menu (where folders are displayed) before connecting the JB to the PC.

Although I have 2 ebook readers now, jetBook is the one I use all the time.