Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
lady_morana
lady_morana began at the beginning.

Device: Axim V50, MobilePro 770
Question Book Designer question

I love the Book Designer program. It is great.

But I have a few basic problems that I just dont get.

First, I like to convert many of my books to either RTF or TXT.
Crazy? Well, UBook reader will take care of all the formatting for me. I do not need an elaborately formatted book for just pleasure reading.
Even with me using an older copy of UBook from before it was a pay program, it works great.

Now, on my computer, I have the full Adobe Acrobat. Handling PDFs is not really a problem. I have a great version of ConvertLit with GUI that works great for LIT books.

But I want a program that will handle everything.

Due to uninstalling MS Office 2007 (full version) I no longer have office on my computer and have to find the CDs for 2003. I mostly use open office anyway.

When trying to save books as RTF ot TXT, it comes up with "Check your MS Word" installation. If BookDesigner is free, why does it use "pay only" programs such as MSWORD and Adobe. I know you can use the PDF printer of OpenOffice to make PDF files, but why not OpenOffice to make TXT or RTF files, or even HTML files?

Is it just me or is there a workaround? I also can only use the FILE - SAVE AS to do TXT and RTF. When I go to MAKE EBOOKS - CONVENTIONAL: DOC, RTF, HTML, TXT, nothing happens. This is probably just a setting problem, but what?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Morana
MoranaRevel@gmail.com
lady_morana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if you are going to be saving your book as RTF, why not just use OpenOffice to do the formatting and then save as RTF?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think that lady_morana is running into the problem when she tries to bring her RTF/TXT file into BookDesigner, JSWolf.

I remember someone else had a similar problem and that there may have been a workaround, or that vvv (the brain behind BD) was looking into something, but I can't remember what it was off-hand....

Ah, yes, a quick search and here it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=199

Incidentally, did the suggestion vvv gave you in that post work for your LIT file, lady_morana?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you still have Office 2007 handy? if so, just reinstall Word even if you don't use it. BD will make use of it to solve your problems.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
lady_morana
lady_morana began at the beginning.

Device: Axim V50, MobilePro 770
The work around for opening the LIT files worked. Thank you. It opens a LIT file and allows it to be edited.

The reason why I want to be able to use the program with free or very cheap programs is the I have friends who do not have nice computers with lots of programs. I am selling older Mobile Pros and older PDAs as cheap book readers. You can get lots of free books from various sites, but most come in either LIT or PDF format. Since I have the older book readers, they do not read either LIT or PDF.

Many of my friends are not the most computer savvy. They need to have one program they use to convert books. That is the wonder of this program. It is written to open almost anything and convert it to almost anything. But it is using pay for programs.

So I need to be able to open up a PDF in book designer and save it as RTF or TXT or open a LIT file and save as RTF or TXT. Since I have the full adobe, I can make PDFs but I have successfully made a PDF using the PDF printer of OpenOffice. Since I do not have MSWord presently installed, I cannot make LIT files. It does not use the convertLit program but uses the Word converter I assume.

But it is not able to make simple TXT files or simple RTF files. It wants Word. Not Notepad, WordPad, OpenOffice or anything free. Is there a workaround, to where this will use one of the other programs to create the TXT or RTF file?
lady_morana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Once you have your text in Book Designer, click someplace inside the text. Next hit control-A and once you've highlighted the all of the text, copy it and then past it into the word processor that comes with OpenOffice and edit as needed. Then save to RTF and that's it done.