Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #16
bookish
bookish began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborsody View Post
I get the sense that you've never been in any sort of tech support position. You might retract that statement if you were.
Actually I have, for the last 15 years or so in one capacity or another. I've heard and handled my share of dumb questions, and even been guilty of asking a number of them myself. I guess perhaps I'm making the mistake here of thinking that they should build their product to meet my requirements instead of what the youngest and oldest users would be able to easily understand or be likely to use. I should know better since when I was a teacher I was taught to teach my students to the lowest level of collective understanding in order not to leave anyone behind. Nonetheless I can dream, and perhaps waste a bit of everyone's time, including my own by wishing for the perfect device. Failing that though it would be nice to find one or two that come closer than what I've so far found. On the flip side my quest to find one provides me with the opportunity to purchase new gadgets on a regular basis.
bookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #17
sborsody
sborsody began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookish View Post
I guess perhaps I'm making the mistake here of thinking that they should build their product to meet my requirements
Don't we all?

No ebook reader left behind!
sborsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 03:06 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborsody View Post
HarryT,
Does the reader really use a FAT file system? I'd be quite surprised if this were the case as the OS is embedded Linux and FAT is an MS filesystem. I noticed on the Sony website that one could download the source code too.
It certainly uses FAT on SD memory cards. I don't know what it uses for its internal memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 AM   #19
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Internal memory uses cramfs for read-only partitions and jffs2 for writable ones.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks, igorsk!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:52 AM   #21
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Over the years, I've found it better to assume people are stupid and be surprised when they prove you wrong, than it is to assume people are smart and be continuously disappointed.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:29 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can tell you that my Father is very technologically impaird. Mom is pretty good though once she's shown how to do something. But there again, mom has to be shown. But she can pick it up though.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've been trying to teach my mother to "read the map" rather than just memorizing (i.e. writing down) specific routes on her computer for years, she's actually gotten to where she can do that fairly well -- oddly enough (really oddly), getting her off a Macputer and onto a PC seems to have been the turning point.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #24
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I've been trying to teach my mother to "read the map" rather than just memorizing (i.e. writing down) specific routes on her computer for years, she's actually gotten to where she can do that fairly well -- oddly enough (really oddly), getting her off a Macputer and onto a PC seems to have been the turning point.
Excellent way of putting it. There are too many users (an overwhelming majority) that only know how to do things when they are tought a specific way to do them. I don't understand why they can't think logically, read what's on the screen, and figure it out how to do things on their own...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 12:32 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I came up with that description in my efforts to explain to my mother why she shouldn't just "learn the routes" -- there's nothing wrong with learning the routes, but if that's all you can do, you can't ever go anywhere that someone else hasn't led you to by the hand.

Once I explained it in terms of maps and routes, Mother was much more open to learning how to read the map too, and that was the real turning point. It finally made sense to her as to why I was trying to teach her this other stuff.

The thing about an OS, and particularly about Microsoft products is that there is a reasonably consistent logic to them as to how to do stuff. It's not the most intuitive logic, but once a body tumbles to it, they can suddenly figure out how to do lots of things by following it.

Then, of course, MacroHard has to go and change all that logic with Office 2007. Grrr. Perhaps we were all just getting too savvy for them, so they decided to change the map.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote