Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
Free Mobipocket Books

I came across this link on another forum. It has 11,656 books in Mobipocket format. The books are in English, French, Finnish, Dutch and other languages. I don't know where they came from, but they include such things as Chromosome Number 20 from the Human Genome Project.

http://www.mobipocket.com/freebooks/default.aspx
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:06 AM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Most of them look like they come from Project Gutenberg.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 07:16 PM   #3
katania
katania doesn't litterkatania doesn't litter

Many times I have tried to acsess the free mobipocket site, but I always just get a emty page with Mobipocket free eBooks on the top of the page
Why is that????? I just wanted to see what is available. Do I do something wrong? do you have to be a member to look at theese pages??
katania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 10:41 PM   #4
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
I can access it with no problems.

That website uses Javascript. If you have Javascript disabled then it won't display properly.

Or it could be the settings in your anti virus/firewall preventing access to that site.

You could also try clearing the browser cache.
(In Internet Explorer -- Tools/Internet Options/general tab -- and delete cookies and delete files -- also clear history).

I believe some pop-up blockers can prevent web pages displaying properly.

Last edited by Moonraker; 05-12-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:42 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
These appear to be automatically generated from sites such a Project Gutenberg. I don't know if these are even the best "computer generated" versions in .prc form, but they might be because MobiPocket does not provide Linux tools for conversion (which prevents some sites from producing MobiPocket files).

The Portable Library includes manually formated versions of the Harvard Classics, but they are 99c each. I think they are worth the price, but they are also encrypted which means they can't be read by FBReader. This is not the only version of Harvard Classics, see an earlier thread for alternatives.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Portable Library is crap. It used to be truly portable and now it's not. So these DRM protected non-portable versions should just go away since the name is 100% misleading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
The lack of a linux tool for generating those files is a real problem. I've read somewhere on their forum that they're planning on releasing such a tool, but I don't have any specific date for this release.

We'll support Mobipocket on Feedbooks once this tool is available, with our usual TOC and other specific page elements.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
Generating Mobipocket books in Palm compression is not really complicated.
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:37 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba View Post
I came across this link on another forum. It has 11,656 books in Mobipocket format. The books are in English, French, Finnish, Dutch and other languages. I don't know where they came from, but they include such things as Chromosome Number 20 from the Human Genome Project.

http://www.mobipocket.com/freebooks/default.aspx
Do these free ebooks have DRM? If they do, then they are not really free as they limit me to the devices I can read them on. Can't read them on my Sony Reader if they have DRM. if they don't, then they truly are free since I'd be able to convert to some other format and read them.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:45 AM   #10
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

I had a look at one of the books and it is without DRM and in Palm compression.
Easy to see because the text starts with <html>. Both the proprietary Mobipocket compression or their encryption/DRM would not show readable text.
It would be better to directly convert the source files from Project Gutenberg.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
I had a look at one of the books and it is without DRM and in Palm compression.
Easy to see because the text starts with <html>. Both the proprietary Mobipocket compression or their encryption/DRM would not show readable text.
It would be better to directly convert the source files from Project Gutenberg.
So the free MobiPocket books are taken directly from PG? How do they compare with the conversions done to some PG books in the Sony Reader forum?

Jon
Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #12
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy

The conversion is obviously automatic because otherwise they would not have that many books available. The sony Reader books here are handcrafted (sometimes with covers created for them). Any questions remaining?