Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #31
stxopher
Nameless Being

Can't argue with that since with the right work and sweat you do open up a whole range of new and useful formats.

Still, it might be better to say "with some extra work and a little risk, you can read many formats without converting."

Having said that, most people I know have a hard time installing something on their PC (you know, the "click me to install" type). Lord knows what would happen if they tried to install something in the Iliad right now. Especially if you applied a little extra pressure by telling them how easy it would be to brick it. (Me, I like to live dangerously and in violation of warranties. That's what makes life fun! Annnnd sometimes expensive.)
Old 05-25-2007, 04:09 PM   #32
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B.
With my comment, I was including some of the applications I have ported.

FBReader alone supports....

Okay, I retract my comment completely and without reservation. I had totally forgotten the FBReader port, and hadn't caught that several of your other ports were reading softwares.

In fact, I think that deserves a few more of these:
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #33
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760

Don't be so hard on yourself. I know you're stuck in Sony land, worrying about what format your books and documents are in.

On a side note though, with the flasher not available for the Sony, it may be possible to include further format support in it down the road. Heck, I almost want to buy one to see what I can do.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:29 PM   #34
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yeah, but I like to think I pay a little better attention than that! Since we're getting ready to move, I'll blame my confusion on that logistical mess.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:12 PM   #35
Neophyte
Neophyte began at the beginning.

Device: A dinky Motorola. Looking forward to an e-reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Unless they add annotation and the ability to merge and save documents like the iRex, there is little point in having a touch screen.
The only reason I want a touchscreen is exactly for the purpose of annotating texts. It wouldn't quite be the same as pen in the margins, but as I don't have any more room for paper...::sigh::

Thanks for the advice!
Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #36
Neophyte
Neophyte began at the beginning.

Device: A dinky Motorola. Looking forward to an e-reader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
One of our fellow bloggers, Larry Z. has made a comparison here between the Sony and Iliad.
Great comparison! It doesn't make my decison any easier, but at least i have the info. Kudos to Larry Z for his dedication to the cause!
Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote