Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #16
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
The header says

Interead sells 1m of its colourful Cool-er e-readers in its first months

but in the article he is quoted as saying

After a few months in the market, worldwide sales of the Cool-er (which costs £189 in the UK) have surpassed seven figures

Perhaps he has sold some 5300 readers worldwide (5300*189GBP=1,001,700 GBP) and there is some mix-up. I don't know. 5300 seems a feasible number.

This sounds like a feasible explanation of the error. Some journalists are not very numerate, it appears!
(Alternatively, the firms that make coloured devices are prone to exaggerated claims.)

Last edited by Patricia; 09-10-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #17
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I've reported the story to the Guardian as inaccurate, and directed them to this thread. If anyone has any evidence of how many screens PVI is actually capable of producing, this would help to prove the inaccuracy.
According to E-Ink, "millions" of units have been sold.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I believe it's just missing the red part:

British ebook-store Interead sells £1m of its colourful Cool-er e-readers in its first months
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #19
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Even if it is talking about £1m worth of Cool-ers sold, that just shows the level of this guys arrogance. "We've sold over 5,000 readers, so we can easily overtake the company that's sold well over 100x that amount." Basically he's just trying to promote his company as much as possible with little regard to the facts, which wouldn't be known to a casual reader of the Guardian anyways. They'll see him talking about how he thinks his company can easily overtake Sony (who they have heard of) and they'll say "Oh, these guys are a big player in the ebook market." I'm not sure if even robertb would make the types of claims this guy is making.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #20
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
Don't ascribe to malicious intent what can simply be explained by incompetence.

Niel Jones says to journo "Sales have reached the million mark", referring to turnover or profits.. Journo searches for a snappy headline and translates it to "We've sold a million units".

He has every right to promote his business however he chooses. You have every right to ignore it. His target market is the people who pick up paperbacks with their weekly shopping trip. If that's not you, it doesn't serve any purpose being a snob about it.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
yep

I am skeptical too of the number of a million units, as the Cool-er website has had the device backordered for a while now.

1 million in sales, as in money coming in, sounds much more accurate to me.

I think that the device has probably been selling relatively well, and eventually it could possibly take on Sony if its able to get distribution in physical stores. For those that aren't used to the idea of a ebook reader seeing on in person probably could push them in the direction of buying from them.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
MichaelFStewart
Where tech and story meet
MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelFStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Maybe they're talking store orders, but not reporting sell-through? Does sound awfully high though!

Michael F Stewart
Author of 24 Bones, A Supernatural Thriller
Available on Kindle and Multiformat
MichaelFStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #23
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i could easily believe 5000 units sold. in just few months for a niche product from a new company, that's still a pretty impressive, i'd say.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #24
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
They're a bunch of liars.
+1

another marketing wonk and more lies...seems to be the normal way marketing wonks work.

brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #25
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
Even if it is talking about £1m worth of Cool-ers sold, that just shows the level of this guys arrogance. "We've sold over 5,000 readers, so we can easily overtake the company that's sold well over 100x that amount." Basically he's just trying to promote his company as much as possible with little regard to the facts, which wouldn't be known to a casual reader of the Guardian anyways. They'll see him talking about how he thinks his company can easily overtake Sony (who they have heard of) and they'll say "Oh, these guys are a big player in the ebook market." I'm not sure if even robertb would make the types of claims this guy is making.
naw, he will just stick with statements like the competition is using a lower grade display or something similar and derogatory, of course we have already seen that from him here in the Cool-er Reader thread.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
They're a bunch of liars.
You tell 'em!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #27
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
YES, MOst likely the 1 mil of sales, instead of 1 mil of number of devices. LOL

A million unit is a large chunk of the whole market. there simply isn't enough screens around for 1 million ebooks for just one brand.

Cool-er: a netronix clone is decent in specs poor in software reader, but ODM can't seem to produce enough of them ...
I ordered mine early in august and only got mine until early sept.

From industrial news i heard VPI is only starting to expend the Eink production line and won't expect to be up and running for another quarter (or more)!
taiwan panel Giant AUO brought another epaper maker, also looking to massively expend production next year.
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #28
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
The Guardian has now published a correction:

Quote:
The panel accompanying a financial news feature on ebook reading devices said that the worldwide sales of one – the Cool-er ebook – now exceeded seven figures. This was the turnover in revenue terms, not the number of units sold (New leaf, 10 September, page 29).
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardia...clarifications
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #29
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
well, thats 6000 units at best!
Which is around 700 units per colour
I am pretty sure demand exceed supply.
Lil wonder why they still on back order!
My bet was, Cooler and many other OEM readers will go back order until end of the year!
jackau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #30
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Don't ascribe to malicious intent what can simply be explained by incompetence.

Niel Jones says to journo "Sales have reached the million mark", referring to turnover or profits.. Journo searches for a snappy headline and translates it to "We've sold a million units".
In general, the UK media is rubbish. If you're expecting any kind of factual accuracy or understanding of the topic you're likely be disappointed. If a story seems unlikely, it's usually because the journalist screwed up when re-writing the press release they were given into the house style.

Therefore I blame this 100% on Niel Jones (whoever he is) for being too lazy to get the journo to give him a template + copy of the Guardian style guide so he could do a proper tailored press release ready to go straight into the paper.
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote