Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM   #1
CosmicRay
CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Looking to upgrade from my Kobo Libra 2, want B&W - options please?

Hi everyone!

I've been using eInk readers since the Kindle 2 came out in 2009. I use Calibre heavily and am comfortable moving between ecosystems.

I switched from my Kindle Oasis to the Kobo Libra 2 in 2022. The Libra 2 is showing signs of age and an upgrade is in order. The problem is: to what?

I tried the Libra Colour, and absolutely hated the reduced contrast ratio of the screen. It felt like going back to 2009. I rarely need color, and returned the Libra Colour.

I don't want to go any smaller than the 7" Libra 2 screen. I would like to see something faster and more generally responsive. Important features are:
  • Calibre compatibility
  • Front light with adjustable color temperature
  • Long battery life
  • Some sort of stand; integrated into a cover is fine
  • 300DPI Carta 1200 or better screen

Nice-to-haves would include:
  • Better PDF support than the Libra 2 (I've used KOReader on it, which helps)
  • Waterproofing of some sort
  • Physical page-turning buttons

Here's what I've looked into and my thoughts on the reviews:
  • The Kobo Sage. The main drawback seems to be worse battery life. Bigger screen, faster CPU, and smaller battery than the Libra 2. One post also says that the flush screens aren't as clear as the recessed ones, though few mention that.
  • The Kobo Elipsa 2E. The screen is only 227 DPI, and the cover doesn't have a stand. I'm also concerned about it being too heavy to use for extended periods of time. I don't see myself using the note-taking features much. I don't often read PDFs, but a screen that size might possibly change my mind - that has some appeal, but overall I am leery about a decrease in screen quality. I'm also a little leery of something that's tablet-size; if I'm going to take something that size, maybe I should just take a tablet. Also there are some concerns about battery life, but not as much as with the Sage.
  • There are a dizzying set of options from Boox. I'm quite comfortable with Android, including adb, but I really just want something to read books. It seems many of them aren't waterproof, maybe don't have as good a presentation of text as the Kobo, etc. I can't find much about covers/stands. I've read conflicting stories about battery life. Comments here seem positive on the Boox Page (TechRadar does too), and the Boox Nova Air 2 also looks interesting but lacks the page-turn buttons of the Page.

It seems I must be missing something. I'd be interested in people's thoughts!
CosmicRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What's wrong with your Libra 2? 2022 wasn't that long ago. If the battery is failing, you may get the best results by just swapping the battery. The Boox Page is probably the only upgrade path available to you, but you'll lose the waterproofing and swap the simplicity of the Kobo UI for a full Android system.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM   #3
CosmicRay
CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CosmicRay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
It's become quite slow, especially when WiFi is on. A factory reset hasn't helped. The page turn buttons are also becoming a bit iffy.

I also learned the Boox has no dark mode in its built in reader. I didn't list that because I had no idea it wasn't standard everywhere. Sigh. Thanks for the ideas though!
CosmicRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:11 AM   #4
Scoob
Enthusiast
Scoob is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Keyboard, Nook ST
Something similar in design to your Libra 2 would be the Pocketbook Era which comes in 16 and 64 gb and has a color version. I can't say if it's speedier and more responsive than your Libra as I've used neither but it is 7in, waterproof(ipx8), has adjustable front light, has buttons(on the edge of the device though), and you can use KOreader on it too. This thread has discussion on other perks to Pocketbook.
Scoob is offline   Reply With Quote