Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old Today, 01:27 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustacap View Post
just keep em as epubs and when you upload them through amazon.com/sendtokindle theyll automatically get converted to kfx for most newer kindles that support it
IMHO, it's better to manage your eBooks with calibre and some may find the advantages of KF8 better then KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

Been a eon since my Kindle connected via WiFi.
I find it amazing how much privacy folk are giving up just to avoid using a USB cable.

(Moot if you only buy from the Store from the device. But why would you use Calibre ?).
What, When I read is My Business. (I don't have a 'subscription' like KU)
And they risk having eBooks deleted by Amazon by using sendtokindleandhavemyebooksdeleted.
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlow&Steady View Post
For me it's about whether the reading experience will be better. Like which is better between them?
That's subjective and people's opinions differ. Some prefer AZW3, some KFX. You could load both formats to your Kindle and compare them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:29 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And they risk having eBooks deleted by Amazon by using sendtokindleandhavemyebooksdeleted.
Ebooks sent via Send to Kindle are never deleted. Only those sent via USB.
Old Today, 01:31 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Any plusses to AZW3 that KFX doesn't have? I already spent several days doing conversion and I really don't want to believe my hard work was for nothing.

Like is it worth going through the trouble to reconvert them to KFX at this point?
Read my previous post. I do outline the advantages to KF8 over KFX.
Old Today, 01:32 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; Today at 01:36 PM.
Old Today, 02:40 PM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
For me it's about whether the reading experience will be better. Like which is better between them?

Another reason I am having second thoughts about AZW3 is because when I search for an ebook and click on a AZW3 file it appears, all I get is an error message saying it can't be opened. That's really ticking me off lately.
You have something misconfigured. calibre displays AZW3 files just fine. Well, unless they've got DRM, but then you wouldn't have been able to do the conversion to AZW3/KF8 in the first place.

The books in your calibre database should be in the best format for long--term prevervation. If you don't want to keep them in the original format for some reason, AZW3 (KF8) or ePub would be fine. KFX is not - it's intended to be a final format, not used for further conversions.

But if you want to have KFX on your Kindle, just have calibre do the conversion when you send the file to your Kindle. There's no need to convert all the books in your calibre library.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:50 PM   #23
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur
MrSlow&Steady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You have something misconfigured. calibre displays AZW3 files just fine. Well, unless they've got DRM, but then you wouldn't have been able to do the conversion to AZW3/KF8 in the first place.

The books in your calibre database should be in the best format for long--term prevervation. If you don't want to keep them in the original format for some reason, AZW3 (KF8) or ePub would be fine. KFX is not - it's intended to be a final format, not used for further conversions.

But if you want to have KFX on your Kindle, just have calibre do the conversion when you send the file to your Kindle. There's no need to convert all the books in your calibre library.
The search thing I was talking about when I was searching in my Kindle, not on Calibre. My mistake. I made a thread about it earlier describing my frustration with how my Kindle struggles to open up the AZW3 format.

Still it confuses me about whether it’s worth keeping AZW3. Are there any bugs KFX avoids/fixes that the other struggles with?
MrSlow&Steady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:07 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Still it confuses me about whether it’s worth keeping AZW3. Are there any bugs KFX avoids/fixes that the other struggles with?
Not that I know of.

As I suggested earlier, try both formats on your Kindle and see which of them you like better.
Old Today, 08:16 PM   #25
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You don't say which Kindle (except it will handle KFX).

Struggle???? That sounds like really messy code Needing to be parsed just to show anything.
My K4nt (we can agree that it is OLD) only went slow when a section was huge (The whole 600K book showed as 4 sections in Calibre and 2 of those were Calibre titlepage and jacket )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22 PM   #26
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not that I know of.

As I suggested earlier, try both formats on your Kindle and see which of them you like better.
That’s my plan, though I’m really not enthused about the whole conversion process.

Quote:
You don't say which Kindle (except it will handle KFX).

Struggle???? That sounds like really messy code Needing to be parsed just to show anything.
My K4nt (we can agree that it is OLD) only went slow when a section was huge (The whole 600K book showed as 4 sections in Calibre and 2 of those were Calibre titlepage and jacket )
I have a Kindle Paperwrite 10th generation. Any problems you can tell based on the info I gave you?
Old Today, 08:30 PM   #27
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
That’s my plan, though I’m really not enthused about the whole conversion process.

I have a Kindle Paperwrite 10th generation. Any problems you can tell based on the info I gave you?
I'm a natural 'technician' (born taking things apart ). When a book misbehaves I look at the code. Bloated (frequently used) code is my first clean.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:19 PM   #28
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
I'm a natural 'technician' (born taking things apart ). When a book misbehaves I look at the code. Bloated (frequently used) code is my first clean.
I’m not computer engineer so I can’t do shit sadly.
Old Today, 09:48 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I’m not computer engineer so I can’t do shit sadly.
Book code is not the same as computer code - it's much, much simpler. I'm not an IT person or technically inclined either, but it wasn't that difficult for me to learn to edit ebook code, at least to an extent. And if I - a total non-programmer - managed, then most folks can do the same.
Old Today, 10:20 PM   #30
MrSlow&Steady
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Book code is not the same as computer code - it's much, much simpler. I'm not an IT person or technically inclined either, but it wasn't that difficult for me to learn to edit ebook code, at least to an extent. And if I - a total non-programmer - managed, then most folks can do the same.
So there’s a way to fix the problem I already mentioned? And how so?