Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-26-2024, 05:03 AM   #751
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If I had to guess it will likely be that *some* GR servers have an invalid certificate and some do not. Depending on which you connect to, you get working or not. Hopefully they will fix it.
It happened with Fantastic Fiction too, and Amazon and Kobo returned 503 error, so something strange happened in my computer.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 05:14 AM   #752
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Might be worth noting that the GR author notes plugin is working fine here, probably because it bundles a lot of dependencies or whatever it's called
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2024, 05:34 AM   #753
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Might be worth noting that the GR author notes plugin is working fine here, probably because it bundles a lot of dependencies or whatever it's called
Not only that. My previous situation (certificate failing), goodreads_sync plugin:
  • Look for a title: works
  • Switch edition: Fails with certificated failure

As I say, something in my system (no idea what).
Old 09-27-2024, 06:13 AM   #754
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Phew! Here's how I solved it on my Windows machine, using Waterfox (the same steps should apply to Firefox):

Went to Goodreads website -> pressed Ctrl+I to open More Info dialog > selected "Security" -> clicked View Certificate -> then on Miscellaneous section: downloaded PEM cert. (there are three inner "tabs" in that about:certificate page: www.goodreads.com, Amazon RSA 2048 M03 and Amazon Root CA 1. I used www.goodreads.com.)

Then I imported the certs following these instructions
Code:
certutil –addstore -enterprise –f "Root" c:\cert\www-goodreads-com-chain.pem
certutil –addstore -enterprise –f "Root" c:\cert\www-goodreads-com.pem
Tried downloading metadata. No good. Restarted computer. Tried again... no good!

Then I ran certmgr.msc (winkey + r), went to Trusted Root Certification Authorities -> Certificates -> double clicked the last one on the list www.goodreads.com, and after that I tried again and it worked!!
Old 09-27-2024, 06:20 AM   #755
Comfy.n

And I guess I found out why GR Author Notes plugin was working fine even when I was getting the _ssl.c:1006 error on metadata downloads: it comes with its own bundle of certificates located in \plugins\gr_author_notes-libs-py3.11\certifi\cacert.pem
Old 09-27-2024, 06:49 AM   #756
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Phew! Here's how I solved it on my Windows machine, using Waterfox (the same steps should apply to Firefox):

Went to Goodreads website -> pressed Ctrl+I to open More Info dialog > selected "Security" -> clicked View Certificate -> then on Miscellaneous section: downloaded PEM cert. (there are three inner "tabs" in that about:certificate page: www.goodreads.com, Amazon RSA 2048 M03 and Amazon Root CA 1. I used www.goodreads.com.)

Code:
Tried downloading metadata. No good. Restarted computer. Tried again... no good!

Then I ran certmgr.msc (winkey + r), went to Trusted Root Certification Authorities -> Certificates -> double clicked the last one on the list www.goodreads.com, and after that I tried again and it worked!!
Puff, I'll have to save this just in case.
Old 09-28-2024, 06:12 PM   #757
jeannetten2012
jeannetten2012 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle App
Goodread metadata problem

I'm not getting any metadata from goodread. Anyone having this issue?
jeannetten2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2024, 08:34 PM   #758
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For me. opening goodreads.com in Edge seemed to have updated the certificate store so the plugin is fetching metadata again. At least, I now show Amazon Root Ca 1 in Trusted Root Certification Authorities (expiry 2038) & Amazon RSA 2048 M03 Intermediate Certification Authorities (expiry 2030) respectively. Since Firefox manages it's own certificate store, opening the site in Firefox and it's cousins doesn't help with the system certificate store.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2024, 08:45 PM   #759
Comfy.n

I guess the Edge fix should be enough for most users. In my system I pretty much disable all Edge built-in related stuff and use only a portable Edge version on occasion.
Old 09-28-2024, 09:06 PM   #760
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since Firefox is my goto web browser, I could probably disable Edge as a web browser but I use it for testing so will leave it for now.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2024, 10:12 PM   #761
Eskarina
Zealot
Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.Eskarina goes to eleven.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle 4
I too am having trouble getting metadata from Goodreads. I noticed this about 2-3 days ago. I use edge browser and the edge "fix" mentioned above (using edge to go to goodreads.com) doesn't work for me. I'm on Windows 10 machine and just downloaded calibre 7.19. Still no luck.

One (hopefully temporary) workaround is to change the metadata source to Amazon and Google metadata and that seems to work fine but however, I find that Goodreads as a source is superior.
Eskarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2024, 06:48 AM   #762
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I haven't seen a single issue personally, I did a bunch of metadata downloads today with Goodreads and they all worked flawlessly. So while I sympathise with some people having issues I can't fix what isn't broken for me
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2024, 07:49 AM   #763
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Code:

As I use more than one computer, I had the same problem in another one today. The thing that solved it was curl a goodreads address, that's all.
Old 09-29-2024, 08:29 AM   #764
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Currently, I'm getting "ssl.SSLCertVerificationError: [SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED] certificate verify failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (_ssl.c:1006) " every time I try to download data from goodreads. And I'm authorized in the website as I've connected to it in Chrome. Same is happening with FatasticFiction plugin, so I don't know if it's somthing which has been messed in my installation.
Shouldn't you be authorized in Edge as that's what Windows uses?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2024, 08:33 AM   #765
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
B&N works but I miss the ratings and votes from GR.
You have to be very careful with ratings and votes on GR. They can be so very wrong is the book is new enough because the staff allow crap with new books even before they are released. It takes quite a while to get rid of the crap because the people who out in the crap have to read the book and then overwrite the crap with a real review and a real rating.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
goodreads, metadata