Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-20-2024, 07:29 PM   #226
Jacques Q.
Zealot
Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Hello.
I have a problem that I hope can be remedied.
I have a new computer (with Windows 11, which can't be helped...) and made the exact same installation as on the one I used before, where it worked perfectly, i.e. Calibre 7.18, DeDRM 10.0.9, KFX Input (as well as KFX Output), and Kindle for PC 2.4.70904, all other plugins same as the ones I had in my previous Calibre installation.
Just as a test, I tried to upload a book from Kindle for PC (one I had already successfully handled before), but this time all I got was a KFX-ZIP file that cannot be handled/converted at all.
I do not think it has to do with the file itself, since it's been there for a few days and, as I said, was handled correctly on my previous computer.
So I have no idea what is going wrong - the fact that the ebook is already in Calibre in its converted version maybe? (but it seems a remote hypothesis). Does anyone have a suggestion ? (I certainly hope so...)
Thanks a lot in advance for much needed help.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 01:19 AM   #227
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
@Jacques Q. — I think you need to ask your question on GitHub as the answer probably strays too far into details than MobileRead allows. Including an error log when you post your question on GitHub is also always a good idea.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 02:00 AM   #228
Gatesway
Gatesway began at the beginning.

Device: Mac/iOs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can't deDRM with the Fire. If you managed to do this before, then those books probably had no DRM at all.

If you have no eink Kindle, then you'll have to use Method 2 in the first post. Method 1 doesn't work with a Fire.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not sure why all of my other books downloaded - but I did follow Method 2 just now and it worked on the new books I purchased.

Thank you!
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 04:48 AM   #229
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
@Jacques Q.
The book you tried was a fresh download from the new installation of Kindle for PC? And you are sure that Kindle for PC hasn't updated from 2.4.0?
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 05:23 AM   #230
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Hello.
I have a problem that I hope can be remedied.
I have a new computer (with Windows 11, which can't be helped...) and made the exact same installation as on the one I used before, where it worked perfectly, i.e. Calibre 7.18, DeDRM 10.0.9, KFX Input (as well as KFX Output), and Kindle for PC 2.4.70904, all other plugins same as the ones I had in my previous Calibre installation.
Just as a test, I tried to upload a book from Kindle for PC (one I had already successfully handled before), but this time all I got was a KFX-ZIP file that cannot be handled/converted at all.
I do not think it has to do with the file itself, since it's been there for a few days and, as I said, was handled correctly on my previous computer.
So I have no idea what is going wrong - the fact that the ebook is already in Calibre in its converted version maybe? (but it seems a remote hypothesis). Does anyone have a suggestion ? (I certainly hope so...)
Thanks a lot in advance for much needed help.
Did you export the keys for DeDRM from the old install and import them in the new install? What version of KindleforPC are you using? The new version won't work. You need an older version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 07:08 AM   #231
Jacques Q.
Zealot
Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Jacques Q. once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
@Jacques Q.
The book you tried was a fresh download from the new installation of Kindle for PC? And you are sure that Kindle for PC hasn't updated from 2.4.0?
It was a book that I've had for about a week and had successfully converted on my old computer.
Kindle for PC has not updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you export the keys for DeDRM from the old install and import them in the new install? What version of KindleforPC are you using? The new version won't work. You need an older version.
I use the correct K4PC 2.4.0, and I don't think I ever needed any keys, since I only use "method 2" (ie "Kindle for PC"), that doesn't require any - as opposed to "method 1" (USB).
Neverthelesss I've added the serial #s of my Kindles to the extension customization just in case.

As a sidenote : I also read on GitHub that KFX Input has to be customized to allow import of KFX files (although only for importing from Kindles, not from a computer). I checked it just in case.

But only THEN did I realise that DeDRM had somehow been deactivated / deactivated itself (or needs to be (re)activated when installing Calibre anew ? - I can't remember having to do it in previous instances).
So ANYWAY I... brmm... reactivated it and things are back to normal.
Sorry for having made a big fool of myself and made those who were kind enough to answer waste a bit of time...
Have a nice week-end.
Old 09-21-2024, 06:47 PM   #232
Ma'am-I-Am
Preferred pronouns: We/Us
Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ma'am-I-Am ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2
@JacquesQ
It was not a waste of time. When I upgrade to Win11, I may have the same problem and, lo, here is it is already solved.
Ma'am-I-Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2024, 10:57 PM   #233
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
But only THEN did I realise that DeDRM had somehow been deactivated / deactivated itself (or needs to be (re)activated when installing Calibre anew ? - I can't remember having to do it in previous instances).
So ANYWAY I... brmm... reactivated it and things are back to normal.
Sorry for having made a big fool of myself and made those who were kind enough to answer waste a bit of time...
Have a nice week-end.
DeDRM is not part of a calibre install and would need to be re-installed in a new calibre install. For legal reasons, it is not part of the calibre plugin structure so you can't browse to it to install it.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2024, 07:43 AM   #234
Jacques Q.
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
DeDRM is not part of a calibre install and would need to be re-installed in a new calibre install. For legal reasons, it is not part of the calibre plugin structure so you can't browse to it to install it.
I know that since it is explained very clearly in the excellent first post, and I had re-installed it all right. Only, for some reason, it was not activated (or de-activated?). Whether it is an additional step now needed to "fully" install it and make it do what it is expected to do, or whether I had by some strange mistake dumbly de-activated it just after installing it, I cannot be certain, but in any case I will now know that one should pay attention to this detail (more than a detail actually!).
Old 09-22-2024, 04:56 PM   #235
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know that since it is explained very clearly in the excellent first post, and I had re-installed it all right. Only, for some reason, it was not activated (or de-activated?). Whether it is an additional step now needed to "fully" install it and make it do what it is expected to do, or whether I had by some strange mistake dumbly de-activated it just after installing it, I cannot be certain, but in any case I will now know that one should pay attention to this detail (more than a detail actually!).
In that case, I'd suspect that you missed configuring serial numbers, etc. needed for DeDRM to work.
Old 09-23-2024, 07:15 PM   #236
Wonder-Woman
Wonder-Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Frustrated and Embarrassed!

Hello,

I have been posting on Reddit about my problem and wanted to also post here to see what other answers I might get. I must be doing something wrong. I'm an IT Help Desk Analyst in the Corp. sector for 25+ years and I am having trouble making things work where I am reading here that others are being successful. This has me embarrassed and frustrated and confused....

I have followed all the steps discussed here. I have installed Kindle for PC version 2.3.70840 (also referred to as a 2.3.5 on this forum) and I have installed the DeDRM version 10.0.9 and created a new key and I have also installed both the KFX Input and KFX Output plugins.

I am on a Win 11 Pro desktop PC and I have imported the library using the option "Add books from folders and sub-folders" and then said "Yes" to the "Multi-file books" message that asks, "Assume all e-book files in a single folder are multiple formats of the same book?" and that lead me to getting all the books imported in the condition in the below pic, but Calibre is not reading them. They all show up with the generic information and generic book cover illustration. It also cannot read the books and it cannot convert them either. Here's a pic of my library:

When I try to open a book this is the error message I get:

Here is a link to a text file of the full details of the "Failed to open the book" error:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AkP...ew?usp=sharing

I also have a large library of ebooks that I have amassed for years. I prefer to read things in PDF so back in the "good ol' days" I was able to easily deal with the whole DRM/AZW/KFX nonsense and convert them to that format. I maintained my library by catagorizing everything and don't know how to get it all imported into Calibre or even get any old Calibre libraries imported....But for right now, first things being first I need to get things functional with the whole Kindle importing thing. I will tackle the library importing secondary after that first issue is complete.

Sorry to be so long in my explanation, but as a tech I have always been detailed in my notes on troubleshooting because the "devil is in the details".

Sincerely,

Wonder-Woman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Library.png
Views:	21
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	210971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre Book Read Error.png
Views:	20
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	210972  
Attached Files
File Type: txt Calibre Book Read Error Details.txt (4.1 KB, 6 views)
Wonder-Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 09:25 PM   #237
DNSB
Bibliophagist

One item to double check is that if you have not blocked Kindle for PC from updating, it will have updated to 2.4.1 in the background. You will have to manually download K4PC 2.4.0 or earlier and re-install it over the current install. The Amazon link for 2.4.0 (2.4.70904) still works: https://kindleforpc.s3.amazonaws.com...-2.4.70904.exe

There is a batch file that will create a file in the Kindle directory to block K4PC's ability to update. See message #84 in this thread.

You might also check that you have installed the latest alpha release of NoDRM's fork of DeDRM found at Autoreleases.
Old 09-23-2024, 10:31 PM   #238
Jintor
Jintor began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Onyx
Hi friends, found that Kindle for PC had rudely auto-updated to a new version despite me telling it not to and was now only spitting out unconvertable KFX-ZIPs. I've jumped back a few versions to 2.4.0 but now it won't sync with my Kindle library. Is this a known issue? I'm fairly sure my Calibre pipeline from here is correctly set up, just need to get the dang AXW files on my PC again so I can do the rest.

Unfortunately I can't content library from Amazon directly as I do not have a Kindle tablet registered to this account (I have one on hand which I could conceivably unregister and reregister if that's a thing you could do...)

Also if I do get this working, how do I run the .bat file linked above - is it simply a case of running it once and that will block updates for the conceivable future?
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 10:40 PM   #239
Jintor
Jintor began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Onyx
I'm not sure why but I can't edit my above post but I figured out the issue - I was logged into the wrong region of Amazon (as I stupidly use the same username across regions). Fixed now. I ran the .bat file to block updates so hopefully this doesn't occur again, now to test the rest of the pipeline again...
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 11:26 PM   #240
DNSB
Bibliophagist

In response to an PM I received about the logic of the disable_k4pc_download.bat file attached to message #84, a few comments about the batch file.
  1. No, it does not actually block the download of the update. You will find a file with a name such as temp_%1%2 in the Kindle directory. The updates file prevents the creation of an updates directory where that file would be unpacked prior to installation.
  2. The two locations for the K4PC executable are needed since the one in %LocalAppData%\Amazon\Kindle is the standard install but if you install with administrator rights, the executable would be installed in %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Amazon\Kindle making it available to all users.
  3. In either case, the program data including updates is stored in %LocalAppData%\Amazon\Kindle which is where the updates file is created after deleting the updates directory. So if you have multiple user logins, each user would have to run the batch file under their login.
  4. %LocalAppData%\ is shorthand for the location of the Local subdirectory of the AppData directory for the current user.
  5. %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\ is shorthand for the location of the Program Files (x86) directory.
Using those two variables generalizes the batch file so it does not need to be customized.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-23-2024 at 11:31 PM.