Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-20-2024, 04:28 AM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Personally I would not be interested in any feature like that. I only read fiction on my ereaders where there's no need to flip back and forth. Chapter hopping and searching are enough for me when I do want to look something up.

I imagine skimming would be useful with some nonfiction books, but I almost never read nonfiction in book form; I prefer web articles and magazines for nonfiction and I read those on paper/laptop/tablet/phone, not on my Kobos.

Last edited by Sirtel; 09-20-2024 at 04:37 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 07:22 AM   #17
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Kobos have a useful quick page turn function; long pressing on the lower corners rapidly skims forward or back and speed can be controlled by sliding your finger toward the middle.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 11:04 AM   #18
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Personally I would not be interested in any feature like that. I only read fiction on my ereaders where there's no need to flip back and forth. Chapter hopping and searching are enough for me when I do want to look something up.

I imagine skimming would be useful with some nonfiction books, but I almost never read nonfiction in book form; I prefer web articles and magazines for nonfiction and I read those on paper/laptop/tablet/phone, not on my Kobos.
I generally only use it when I have split my reading between my phone and my Kindle. Generally because I left my Kindle at home accidently or just didn't expect to have any reading time on an errand. So, I use it to catch up to what I've read on the phone.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 11:45 AM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I generally only use it when I have split my reading between my phone and my Kindle. Generally because I left my Kindle at home accidently or just didn't expect to have any reading time on an errand. So, I use it to catch up to what I've read on the phone.
I'm used to switching between my two Kobos. As all my books are sideloaded, they don't sync; usually I use chapter hopping and ordinary paging to find my place. While Kobos have the quick flipping feature, I never use it, because I can never get it to stop where I want (I've always been clumsy with touchscreens, despite having used them for more than a decade) and it's also headache-inducing for me (I find it hard to follow any quick movement with my eyes).

I remember the Page Flip from my Kindle times, but I never used it either.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 02:10 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwik View Post
When the OP said slider, I didn't imagine a mechanical one. I imagined more of a narrow touchpad type of thing with no moving parts and sealed from the elements, which you could slide your finger across quickly or slowly for page turns or tap in certain ways to get to interesting bits like saved pages or notes. But I probably got that wrong. One thing I know for sure is manufacturers don't like extra cost unless the customer is willing to pay for it, of course, and they don't like more returns / support staff.
Kobo has a slider on the left side of the screen for adjusting the front light. It's part of the touch screen.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-20-2024 at 02:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2024, 05:26 AM   #21
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
My Bluetooth keyfob has PgUp and PgDn.
If you hold the button down it will flip pages as fast as it can display them.
That's about 4-5 pages/second?
This is actually slower than auto-repeat (10/second?) does but I have it ignore page turns if it's busy.

Note that the stock Onyx software does short/long detection on these keys and will not do auto-repeat.
The patch to framework.jar is fairly simple and doesn't require signing.
But you'd have to disable dm-verity.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote