Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 09-10-2024, 12:34 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is Book of Hymns?

Only Chapters (and Part) Should use H tags

Code:
<h3 class="chapno">Chapter 23</h3>
I wonder if the confusion is in terms

Headers and Footers appear on all (print) pages
A 'Heading' (H#) is a Style of text. It just so happens that Calibre and Sigil use those as markers to generate the TOC with a couple of clicks. In addition, these are normal places where a new chapter starts, so the cod also get page-break-before:always inserted.

Stupid Vellum also codes title pages with h1 title, subtitle , h2 for series, author1, author2 ... (Styling like that was so HTML 3 )
Calibre convert turns those into individual screens (pages). Sinc I do WANT that to happen for all others, I do not turn that off. I just hand fix (chang all those OTHER h's to p on the title page
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 12:45 PM   #17
Jasonc310771
Jasonc310771 began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Ok, so I have attached the word document to this post. The stories show as expected in the navigation panel. But as you can see the first titles show fine, but the last one is on a new page, not continued from the last story. All have as far as I can see the same formatting.
Attached Files
File Type: docx BUCKET 1.docx (13.9 KB, 25 views)
Jasonc310771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 01:20 PM   #18
Jasonc310771

This is the resulting epub file.
Attached Files
File Type: epub BUCKET 1 - Unknown.epub (15.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 09-10-2024, 01:30 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I use Libre Office and it (the docx) shows on a single 8.5 x 11 page
(I also do not use LO as a book source. AKA authoring)

Whatever is happening for you could be a page overflow due to the current styling for h1
You need to understand The Box Model

Margin-border-padding-text-padding-border-margin (with the exception of text, all those others can have values for Top, Bottom, Right, Left
Usually if not specified Border and padding are 0. BUT the viewer may have non-zero defaults for Margin, which makes it a good practice to specify what you really want

A box must fit or it ends up on the next screen (widows and orphans offer additional controls)

Personally, I just fix the code. The DOCX gets the document int the editor for final styling.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 01:58 PM   #20
Jasonc310771

Box Model, I understand this. But if this was the case, when I reduce the size of the text in the viewer, this should cause the problematic story title to continue under the previous story?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use Libre Office and it (the docx) shows on a single 8.5 x 11 page
(I also do not use LO as a book source. AKA authoring)

Whatever is happening for you could be a page overflow due to the current styling for h1
You need to understand The Box Model

Margin-border-padding-text-padding-border-margin (with the exception of text, all those others can have values for Top, Bottom, Right, Left
Usually if not specified Border and padding are 0. BUT the viewer may have non-zero defaults for Margin, which makes it a good practice to specify what you really want

A box must fit or it ends up on the next screen (widows and orphans offer additional controls)

Personally, I just fix the code. The DOCX gets the document int the editor for final styling.
Old 09-10-2024, 03:22 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
As far as I can tell, the docx file is using one style for the heading and one style for paragraphs. The docx file is using spaces to indent paragraphs. That is another task that should be done with a style so you need two styles. One for the non-indented paragraph and one for the indented paragraphs. As for the page break before The Book of Hymns, looking at the epub file, you have:

Code:
<div class="calibre2"></div>
with the following in the stylesheet:

Code:
.calibre2 {
  display: block;
  line-height: 1.2;
  page-break-after: always; 
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
}
I've attached a quick and dirty edit of the epub file.
Attached Files
File Type: epub BUCKET 1 - Unknown.epub (18.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 09-10-2024 at 03:24 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 03:41 PM   #22
Jasonc310771

Thank you for this.
But we really need to have all stories below the previous, even if the story continue part way through on the next page, all work corre try. It's just this one, that causes issues. I stripped all formatting and added formatting to just the titles, but this did not work. Having each story start on a new page is not what is wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I can tell, the docx file is using one style for the heading and one style for paragraphs. The docx file is using spaces to indent paragraphs. That is another task that should be done with a style so you need two styles. One for the non-indented paragraph and one for the indented paragraphs. As for the page break before The Book of Hymns, looking at the epub file, you have:

Code:
<div class="calibre2"></div>
with the following in the stylesheet:

Code:
.calibre2 {
  display: block;
  line-height: 1.2;
  page-break-after: always; 
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
}
I've attached a quick and dirty edit of the epub file.
Old 09-10-2024, 06:41 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try changing the Structure settings in Conversion to this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-09-11 083337.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	210739

My resultant BUCKET 1.EPUB with those settings is attached.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: epub BUCKET 1 - Unknown.epub (13.8 KB, 20 views)
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2024, 01:40 AM   #24
Jasonc310771

Thank you so much, think this has solved the page break issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Try changing the Structure settings in Conversion to this:

Attachment 210739

My resultant BUCKET 1.EPUB with those settings is attached.

BR
Old 09-20-2024, 03:17 PM   #25
Jasonc310771

Ok, So I spoke to soon. Without using the paragraphs to mark the start of each story which will in turn show up as chapters in the left hand colum of most readers, what other methods within word could I use to achive the same effect. But use Calibre out of the box without altering anything ?
Old 09-20-2024, 07:12 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
In Word: make sure paragraphs that have a Style of Heading 1 or Heading 2 avoid the use any of the words that trigger calibre's Conversion->Common options->Structure detection->Detect chapters at (XPath expression), which are:

Code:
chapter, book, section, part, prolog, prologue and epilogue
Or don't use Styles Heading 1 or Heading 2

In Calibre: set Conversion->Common options->Structure detection->Chapter mark: to none - either per book or in Preferences.

If it were me, I'd change the settings in Calibre, probably as needed for a particular book rather than for all books via the settings in Preferences.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 08:44 PM   #27
Jasonc310771

ok so the thing that I have found out is that when I drag the doc file to Calibre and right click select View and then View with calibre E-book viewer, it all shows fine. No unwanted page breaks above the titles. But when I right click and select convert books, then convert individually, the unwanted page gaps show up ?
It seems that the test viewer is using a different set of rules ?
Old 09-20-2024, 09:11 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes, the viewer tries to show the input document as close to its designed appearance as possible. Conversion does various transformations be default to get output as consistent as possible for a wide range of input.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2024, 09:31 PM   #29
Jasonc310771

Ok, so lets say I change all the story titles, paragraphs (heading 1) to 'Book Title' style, how do I get Calibre to know that this is where I only want to have the page breaks?
Old 09-20-2024, 09:53 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Insert the page breaks in your word style and calibre will pick them up automatically. Remeber to set the deteection setting in calibre to / so it doesnt break anywhere else.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote