Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Today, 11:09 AM   #76
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
In Windows, it certainly remembers the maximized window.
I specifically deleted all .ini files to make the test more realistic.

Setting "maximized=true/false" is written and read correctly.
On my single-monitor computer, the fullscreen option always accepts "false".
If I manually change it to "true" it is also stored correctly.
A worse issue is the return to "fullscreen=false" state, because in fullscreen mode there is no visible title bar, so there is nothing left to do but to remove the "geometry" line completely.
I know that the state is recorded in the ini file, I was hoping that the calls to showMaximized and showFullScreen in ReadSettings in MainWindow.cpp can be commented out as that could prevent future race issues.

If you did try after commenting out that line, please let me know.

I just tried commented out those lines in Manjaro Linux and both fullscreen and maxmimized restoring still worked just fine.

So if it did work ok on Windows, I am going to comment them out in master to help prevent future race related bugs.

As for getting out of FullScreen mode, especially in Linux can be a real bear as well.

In macOS you just move the cursor up to the top left cursor of the screen and it will popup the titlebar buttons.

In Manjaro Linux, that did not work, neither did right clicking on where the menu bar might be, nor did using esc. I finally googled it and found that Alt-F3 makes a small menu pop-up that allows you to leave FullScreen mode. Leaving Maximized tate is much easier since the titlebar is always available.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #77
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yes. Of course, I did the tests AFTER commenting out two lines in the MainWindow.cpp file.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:14 AM   #78
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Both Windows and Linux versions of Sigil can remember its maximized Window with those lines commented out, but I don't know the first thing about fullscreen. None of the methods or shortcuts for entering fullscreen mode have ever worked for Sigil for me on Linux or Windows. Ever. I'm not complaining, mind you. I despise fullscreen mode.

I'm pretty sure we'd have to do some sort of coding to fully support fullscreen mode for Sigil on Windows or Linux.

EDIT: the incredible shrinking stacked dockwidget from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=99 still persists, I'm afraid (with or without these recently commented lines)
Okay I will comment them out in master.

As for the incredible shrinking dockwidget bug, it must be platform specific. Something is adjusting the sizes using some sort of algorithm or maybe monitor scaling impacts this and we are seeing multiple instances of rounding down?

I am going to run that test on Linux to see if I can recreate it there.

Update:

Just tested things by putting the Table of Contents on top over the BookBrowser then repeatedly open the same file and the Table of Contents never shrunk one pixel (as I had aligned it at the bottom of an text line).

So I can not recreate this on Linux or macOS. So the bug must be in Qt code someplace.

Last edited by KevinH; Today at 11:25 AM.
Old Today, 11:19 AM   #79
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Linux on Cinnamon DOES in fact remember its fullscreen state after closing and relaunching. *Someone* apparently unassigned the keyboard shortcut to toggle fullscreen on and off! I can't imagine who would do such a thing.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:30 AM   #80
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Yes. Of course, I did the tests AFTER commenting out two lines in the MainWindow.cpp file.
Thanks! I just pushed that change to master. Using comments allows the base.ts to still have the right line numbers! For a future release, I will just remove that code completely.
Old Today, 12:09 PM   #81
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
In Manjaro Linux, that did not work, neither did right clicking on where the menu bar might be, nor did using esc. I finally googled it and found that Alt-F3 makes a small menu pop-up that allows you to leave FullScreen mode. Leaving Maximized tate is much easier since the titlebar is always available.
There's a workaround in Windows, too, as long as some other application hasn't taken over this system shortcut (e.g. PowerToys).
Alt+Space brings up the application's pop-up menu, where we can select "Resize," zoom out Sigil a bit and safely exit full-screen mode.
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #82
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's a workaround in Windows, too, as long as some other application hasn't taken over this system shortcut (e.g. PowerToys).
Alt+Space brings up the application's pop-up menu, where we can select "Resize," zoom out Sigil a bit and safely exit full-screen mode.
But how are you getting Sigil INTO fullscreen mode on Windows? Neither F11, nor alt+Enter have any effect on any of the 3 Windows 10 machines (2 physical and one virtual), that I've tried it on.
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
After building the latest version, seems to be working happily.

On Windows 11, I have the taskbar set to autohide so setting Sigil to maximized uses the full screen.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:48 PM   #84
BeckyEbook
Guru

Quote:
But how are you getting Sigil INTO fullscreen mode on Windows? Neither F11, nor alt+Enter have any effect on any of the 3 Windows 10 machines (2 physical and one virtual), that I've tried it on.
Well...
Sometimes I write too briefly.

For testing, I use two ways:
1. I edit sigil_v6.ini and type:
Code:
maximized=false
fullscreen=true
I run the released version 2.3.0 and close it.
Then the geometry is set to fullscreen.
Version 2.3.1 recognizes that the geometry points to fullscreen and I can test.

2. Donate button is often used for me to test, so I plugged myself the code:

Code:
void MainWindow::Donate()
{
    if (isFullScreen()) {
        showNormal();
    } else {
    showFullScreen();
    }
}

It works perfectly. Clicking on the heart icon turns the full screen on/off.

I privately use this icon for a different purpose CreateHTMLTOC(); but for full-screen testing this was the easiest solution for me.
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #85
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

OK Thanks! So there's no way to use Windows itself to make Sigil go fullscreen like using F11 with browsers and other Windows apps (and similar built-in toggles on Linux and macOS)? How odd. We may have to make our own official fullscreen toggling button for this like you did.

Last edited by DiapDealer; Today at 06:06 PM.
Old Today, 05:16 PM   #86
mrprobert
Enthusiast
mrprobert began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
But since the Sigil we ship has been fully stripped of debug symbols none of the Sigil calls in the stack trace can be deciphered.

If you build your own, you can always prevent the symbols from being stripped and then the call stack trace shows you so much more.
The build instructions say, "It is not possible at this time build a Debug version of Sigil with Visual Studio." What development environment is needed to build the Debug version?
mrprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:45 PM   #87
BeckyEbook
Guru

Quote:
We may have to make our own official fullscreen toggling button for this like you did.
If indeed such a decision is made in the future, I am enclosing an icon pack for all sets.
It may come in handy whether it is a new command in the menu with the assigned keyboard shortcut F11, or additionally located somewhere on one of the toolbars.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil-updated-icons-for-fullscreen.zip (4.8 KB, 1 views)
Old Today, 06:16 PM   #88
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprobert View Post
The build instructions say, "It is not possible at this time build a Debug version of Sigil with Visual Studio." What development environment is needed to build the Debug version?
A Windows debug build of Sigil is quite involved. Perhaps it's changed since I last gave up, but it used to require having a debug build of Qt and a debug build of Python. The latter may have changed. I haven't tried in a long, long while.
Old Today, 06:24 PM   #89
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
If indeed such a decision is made in the future, I am enclosing an icon pack for all sets.
It may come in handy whether it is a new command in the menu with the assigned keyboard shortcut F11, or additionally located somewhere on one of the toolbars.
Thank you! If the other OSes can do it, there's no reason to leave Windows out if the only thing missing is a toggle mechanism. It's not something I need, but fullscreen clearly exists because some like it.
Old Today, 06:50 PM   #90
mrprobert
Enthusiast
mrprobert began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
A Windows debug build of Sigil is quite involved. Perhaps it's changed since I last gave up, but it used to require having a debug build of Qt and a debug build of Python. The latter may have changed. I haven't tried in a long, long while.
Oh, well. Thanks DiapDealer.
mrprobert is offline   Reply With Quote