Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 05:15 AM   #1
Missoni
Missoni began at the beginning.

Device: Clara BW, PW3, Kindle Basic
Kobo Clara BW ergonomics

New to the forum — hello —

I recently moved from a Kindle PW (gen 3) to a Clara BW after the PW screen developed a bright spot. I purchased the PW after ordering and trying all of the kindles at the time, including an Oasis and a refurbished Voyager, before returning them and keeping the PW. What I learned about my preferences then is that what appears to be small design differences can be a deal breaker in use. Yes the Voyager had the sharpest, clearest screen by a country mile, even to my newbie eyes at the time, but the small raised lip around the edge of the screen I found distracting whilst holding and the Oasis not comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

I enjoyed using the PW and found the rubberised back made it easy to hold. After the screen gave up, I jumped into purchasing the Clara BW, and thanks to the great resources on this forum, downloaded and quickly learned the ins and outs of Calibre, converted my books, added a few plugins and downloaded a new book from the Kobo store without any issues.

The BW screen is a tad sharper but with less contrast than the PW. The warm light makes a big difference to clarity and comfort for me, even during the day and being outside of the big rivers walled garden gives a feeling of being more sovereign. It is a superb e-ink screen. The Kobo dictionary also works better and is a joy to use, not sure I can articulate clearly why I find that the case. Any difference in speed though is not noticeable to me in use.

That said, the PW menu fonts, size, contrast and clarity appear much clearer than the BW under all light settings and even with large print enabled. I miss the clarity of the menu system but not the functionality or incessant recommendations.

The main difference though is holding the two devices. I read using the bare device and store in a felt sleeve when not in use or travelling. The BW is slippery and the narrower bezels make it less ergonomic, I'm talking degrees here, it is still perfectly useable but not ideal. The textured back of the BW is more for aesthetics I think and adds little to grip.

I am thinking of purchasing a Kobo clear case in the hope that it will provide more grip, can anyone confirm?. I have passed on spraying the back with a textured coating and my OCD would probably struggle with sticking a pop-socket on the back. Also considering the Kobo flip case if the clear case does not provide more grip or as a last resort trying a Libra 2 for ergonomics. Any other suggestions would be great.
Missoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:01 AM   #2
foosion
Addict
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
The Libra 2 is a bit less slippery than the Clara BW, but for me it's the difference between a secure grip and an almost secure grip when I hold the device approximately vertical (or I need to hold with more pressure).

I'm considering getting a clear case. I'm annoyed that the OEM version is much more expensive than generic versions. Many generic version are made for the Clara 2E so the charging hole is a bit off and all generics I've seen have reinforced corners which I dislike. At least the OEM is marketed as anti-slip rather than protective.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:20 AM   #3
Missoni

Yes...I noted the feedback on the generic clear cases was not good and over 4 months from the BW's release the generic manufacturers do not appear to have tooled up yet. The Kobo BW case price is painful for what it is! I did not realise the clear case was marketed as 'anti-slip' - thank you.

Last edited by Missoni; Today at 07:24 AM.
Old Today, 08:08 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The clear case would be a issue. It would mean I could no longer take my Kobo out and about with me as the screen would not have any protection wile in my bag. Also, IMHO, the clear case is not ergonomic at all.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:44 AM   #5
Missoni

I have purchased today; will give it a go and report back...
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #6
foosion
Addict
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Also, IMHO, the clear case is not ergonomic at all.
How so?

OP and I believe that making the Clara a bit grippier would make it easier and more comfortable to hold, that is, for us, more ergonomic. Obviously if you're looking for screen protection something else would be appropriate.

I suppose the question, at least for me, is whether the clear case would in fact make the Clara easier to hold without adding noticeable size or weight.
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #7
foosion
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missoni View Post
I have purchased today; will give it a go and report back...
Looking forward to your report. Let's hope it lives up to "Slim & Lightweight Design | Anti-Slip"
Old Today, 01:08 PM   #8
Missoni

Thank you. I also ordered the Moko hand strap from Aliexpress, not an elegant solution, but I'll see which one works best.