Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 07:56 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My stock body class has widows: 1; and orphans: 1;. I also use the RMSDK Disable orphans/widows avoidance patch. I do remember years back someone mentioned using readingWidows=0 and readingOrphans=0 (or was it =1??) in the Kobo eReader.conf file but in my testing at that time, I did not find those settings having any effect. I did find that settings widows and orphans to 0 in the CSS had two different effects. Some renderers treated 0 as equivalent to 1 and others disregarded it and went with their default of 2 or 3.
I'd guess it was 1 in the conf file, not 0. I've found that together with the book css, it keeps the widows and orphans in line. The patch presumably does the same (I've not used it).
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:59 PM   #17
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosion View Post
Since I'm doing kepubs it seems there's no need for widows/orphans management.
No. I use epubs on my Libra 2, hence the need for widows/orphans management. On my Sage I too have kepubs.
Old Today, 08:04 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are you certain that you are killing it everywhere? I have one epub where the original CSS specified a padding at the end of each block in the body style, in each paragraph style and in a div style that was applied to every <expletive deleted> paragraph. The lovely part was that the padding was not consistent.
Those are fun. I've also had books with inconsistent left and right margins, inconsistent text indents, inconsistent section breaks and so on. And just now I'm editing a book that has double chapter headings. Yes, the exact same heading twice, first larger and then smaller. Makes one really wonder about people who design those books...
Old Today, 08:11 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Find isn't finding "padding". To have an extra line on the page, wouldn't I need negative padding or negative bottom margins? Or would this do it:

Code:
<a class="Footnote-Reference" epub:type="noteref" href="05_Chapter_One.xhtml#footnote-002" id="footnote-002-backlink" role="doc-noteref" title="footnote">[*1]</a>
Code:
.Footnote-Reference {
  vertical-align: 0.25em;
  line-height: 0;
  font-size: 0.8em;
}
Are you looking in the CSS stylesheets? Anything with padding or margin in a class should be given a hard look. Here's a sample from a recent purchase. Please note that you can find margin and padding in a short hand format with 2 to 4 values.

margin-bottom: 2px;
margin-bottom: 0.1em;
margin-bottom: 8px;
padding-bottom: 0.25em;
padding-bottom: 6px;

You may want to check CSS Margins and CSS Padding on the W3Schools site for more information.

Quote:
Or is it because most files are about 50KB and that's too big for pop-up footnotes?
I seem to remember the limit is 5K in the Kobo documentation. Perhaps look at splitting your footnote files.

Last edited by DNSB; Today at 08:15 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:22 PM   #20
foosion
Addict
foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.foosion is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kobo Libra 2 & Clara BW
Quote:
Are you looking in the CSS stylesheets?
The first code fragment was the from the text referencing the footnote. The second was the relevant CSS for that text. Otherwise the text was just a normal <p> ... </p>, same as the rest of the book.

I tend to kill padding CSS and change main body text margins to 0 0 0 0. Neither appear implicated here.

Quote:
I seem to remember the limit is 5K in the Kobo documentation. Perhaps look at splitting your footnote files.
You have written that before.

It's a mass market book, so they probably weren't concerned with kobo formatting.

Last edited by foosion; Today at 08:24 PM.
foosion is offline   Reply With Quote