Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old Today, 01:34 PM   #1
Macblaze
Macblaze began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
Defaults won't stick

Something weird happened since I last used Sigil and I can't figure it out.

Opening a file in Sigil opens in a default view that I can't alter i.e. the clip toolbar is closed, the preview window is tiny. No matter what I try I can't seem to get my preferred view to stick. Is there a preferences file that might have gone corrupt?

I can change the size of the toolbar and that seems to stick as to other thing set using the preferences.

Actually I can't seem to find an reference to how I set my preference in the first place. Is it just supposed to remember the last used settings? Am I just missing something obvious? It is monday after all...

OSX 13.6.7
Sigil 2.2.1
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:46 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
No, this is a result of Apple's Gatekeeper changes. It does not trust Sigil (any new version being installed) and will not allow Sigil to save it's changes because it thinks incorrectly that Sigil is up to something.

The trick is to convince the macOS that you can see Sigil's MainWindow by simply resizing the MainWindow first. Then once resized you can update things and Sigil will be allowed to write to its own ini file.

For our next release, I will actually try to get Apple to notarize Sigil so all this nonsense goes away. But deep inside I am very upset because that gives Apple complete control and say about a totally free OpenSource software that is not released through their Mac App store. They literally convince people it may be a danger/malware even though Sigil collects absolutely no information from any user, and has ever single line of source code open to the public to review if they so desire (or build their own).

The next OS version of macOS will even prevent the right-click and use Open twice to launch Sigil. Apple just keeps closing down their desktops making them into silly appliances and taking a real nanny approach to what you can do on your own machine and share with others. Sad really.

If I do not notarize Sigil, then we would have to make source code only releases for MacOS and macOS users would have to build their own (just like Linux).

Last edited by KevinH; Today at 02:04 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:52 PM   #3
Macblaze
Macblaze began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One
Doh!

That is incredibly idiotic (on Apple's part). I thought I was going nuts.

Thanks a million!

I have my auto updates turned off except for security updates so they must have slipped some thing in the backdoor that way. It really is insane that I have to deliberately ignore updates to prevent them from wrecking my workflow...
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #4
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Here's the updated add_cover.xhtml file. Wish I could have contributed more, but even this relatively simple chapter challenged my modest Sigil skills

(I had to zip the single file. For some reason you can't upload a single .xhtml file to MobileRead???)
Attached Files
File Type: zip add_cover.xhtml.zip (2.0 KB, 5 views)
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:02 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Here's the updated add_cover.xhtml file. Wish I could have contributed more, but even this relatively simple chapter challenged my modest Sigil skills

(I had to zip the single file. For some reason you can't upload a single .xhtml file to MobileRead???)
Thank you, I grabbed it. You probably meant to post this in the Looking for Volunteers thread and not this one, but either way I have it.

Thank you!
Old Today, 03:04 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... The next OS version of macOS will even prevent the right-click and use Open twice to launch Sigil ...
I read somewhere (MacRumors maybe?) that we will still be able to go to Settings > Privacy & Security to click Open on unnotarized apps. Hopefully this will be the case ...

ETA: Here's the MacRumors post:

Quote:
Apple is eliminating the option to Control-click to open Mac software that is not correctly signed or notarized in *macOS Sequoia*. To install apps that Gatekeeper blocks, users will need to open up System Settings and go to the Privacy and Security section to "review security information" before being able to run the software.

Last edited by odamizu; Today at 03:09 PM.
Old Today, 03:05 PM   #7
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Thank you, I grabbed it. You probably meant to post this in the Looking for Volunteers thread and not this one, but either way I have it.

Thank you!
Yes, I had both threads open and posted to the wrong one
Old Today, 03:27 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, but how many new users of Sigil on macOS would be willing to "review the security information" (ie. get told is is most likely malware) and then decide to try it anyway.

And even if they did, the errors like the one in this post come up.
Old Today, 04:14 PM   #9
odamizu
just an egg

Okay, I get it. But reviewing the security information is pretty minor. You go to Settings > Privacy & Security and it says "Sigil was blocked from use because it is not from an identified developer" then you click the "Open Anyway" button.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	5
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	210143

All I'm saying that if you are unable to notarize Sigil, please, I hope you will continue to provide macOS releases as long as users can open it by going into Settings and clicking the "Open Anyway" button.

Quote:
Yes, but how many new users of Sigil on macOS would be willing to "review the security information" (ie. get told is is most likely malware) and then decide to try it anyway.

And even if they did, the errors like the one in this post come up.
Old Today, 04:19 PM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer

The worst part is that for the last 10 years I have been spending $100 per year to be a Apple Identified Developer, and Sigil still gets that nonsense.

If worst comes to worse, I will show you how to take a CI build we make and sign it yourself (no Apple Developer ID needed) so you can run it on your own box.