Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old Today, 07:15 AM   #1
MJLee
Enthusiast
MJLee began at the beginning.

Device: none
Won't sort into collections

I have a strange problem. I have an ancient and well-belowed Aura One. Suddenly when sideloading from Calibre it won't import Collection metadata. I've tried doing it manually but it won't 'take' as in it shows when I add it in Calibre but then when I try to open it in my reader it's not sorted into any Collection. Most of my books are not bought from Kobo store, quite a lot of it is fanfic. I tried to remove all books without a Collection but when i import them again, same problem.

Anyone encountered a similar problem and how do I solve it? I don't want to buy a new. I love the big screen size (with my bad eyes it's a necessity).

Edit: Sometimes it will update content but it doesn't help and not sure how I can trigger that.
MJLee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJLee View Post
I have a strange problem. I have an ancient and well-belowed Aura One. Suddenly when sideloading from Calibre it won't import Collection metadata. I've tried doing it manually but it won't 'take' as in it shows when I add it in Calibre but then when I try to open it in my reader it's not sorted into any Collection. Most of my books are not bought from Kobo store, quite a lot of it is fanfic. I tried to remove all books without a Collection but when i import them again, same problem.

Anyone encountered a similar problem and how do I solve it? I don't want to buy a new. I love the big screen size (with my bad eyes it's a necessity).

Edit: Sometimes it will update content but it doesn't help and not sure how I can trigger that.
A reminder, collections aren't updated until the next time you plug in your reader with calibre running (assuming calibre is setup to handle collections).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:38 AM   #3
MJLee
Enthusiast

In desperation I made a huge mistake and did a factory reset and all the collections and books were erased. Now, even when I create Collections on the Kobo, once I plug it into the pc via usb, the collection(s) disappear. I'm googling and googling and nothing works! I've tried tweaking the Kobo plugins and Kobo Utilities. But nothing works. To add the Collection column that's always worked no longer does so.

Help, help, help?
Old Today, 11:44 AM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
On the second tab of the configuration dialog for either the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver, do you have Remove empty collections checked? And if I recall correctly, the collections created by calibre are done on the second connection.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #5
MJLee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
On the second tab of the configuration dialog for either the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver, do you have Remove empty collections checked? And if I recall correctly, the collections created by calibre are done on the second connection.
I assume this is what you mean? This is how it's configured right now

Hmm, can't seem to insert an image here

KoboTouchExtended

Tab: Collections, covers and uploads

Collections is checked.

Collection templates checked

Create collections is checked

Delete empty bookshelves is checked

There is no option Remove empty collection to check.

Last edited by MJLee; Today at 12:02 PM.
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Delete empty bookshelves is the same as Remove empty collections. I should have checked on my computer before answering from memory. In the dim recesses of time, Kobo referred to shelves which later became collections.
Old Today, 12:05 PM   #7
MJLee
Enthusiast

I have the latest calibre version and updated firmware. Should I try and downgrade since it seems to be a problem after one of the upgrades.
Old Today, 12:07 PM   #8
MJLee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Delete empty bookshelves is the same as Remove empty collections. I should have checked on my computer before answering from memory. In the dim recesses of time, Kobo referred to shelves which later became collections.
It's checked but still no go
Old Today, 12:13 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
It's checked but still no go
Try removing the checkmark. Otherwise any empty collections will be removed from your Kobo. Generally speaking, I prefer to do all collection creation and removal from calibre.

You might want to check the Kobo Shelves and Collections to make sure nothing has been damaged in your basic setup.

You could post images of your Collections, covers and uploads tab from whichever KoboTouch driver you are using. To post images, you will need to click on Go Advanced to see the paperclip icon or the Manage Attachments button.
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #10
MJLee
Enthusiast

That's the problem. Calibre will no longer export Collections to my Kobo when sending new books to the Kobo. Especially since my Collections are huge - think 1800 files in each.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-08-12 175226 1.png
Views:	6
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	210138
Old Today, 12:32 PM   #11
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
That's the problem. Calibre will no longer export Collections to my Kobo when sending new books to the Kobo. Especially since my Collections are huge - think 1800 files in each.

Attachment 210138
You don't have anything in the Collections column - there should be a column name there.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:53 PM   #12
MJLee
Enthusiast

What should I put there? The Collection names in the main library? I can only put one collection title there?
Old Today, 01:00 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
What should I put there? The Collection names in the main library? I can only put one collection title there?
The name of the column you want to base your collections on. If it's a custom column, the name should be preceded by # (for example, I have #shelves there).

I think you can put more than one column there, but I've not tried it myself.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:04 PM   #14
MJLee
Enthusiast

Gah! This is driving me crazy
Old Today, 01:06 PM   #15
MJLee
Enthusiast

And this means it will import all my collections onto the Kobo? Why, oh why, has it suddenly started misbehaving.