Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-17-2023, 01:04 PM   #1
mikhail_fil
Enthusiast
mikhail_fil began at the beginning.

Device: PC / ipad air
Automatic Tagging based on Automatic Full Text Search

I have a large library, consisting mainly of books and research papers, that's frequently updated. In this library, I've added a "Full_Text_Search_Tags" column to help tag items by specific search strings. This system is especially useful for finding interdisciplinary text.

The challenge:

Every new item isn't automatically tagged. So, in case I add new 20-30 papers or books from different disciplines, I find myself with un-xrayed content and having to do a manual "update" which is pretty tedious, given the constant addition of new content and growth of tags.

For each of the 30 (and growing) full_text_search tags:
  1. Copy the search string.
  2. Ensure no files are marked or selected in the main window.
  3. Conduct the search.
  4. Mark the relevant results.
  5. Switch to the Calibre main window.
  6. Select all files
  7. Bulk Tag these files with Tag matching the Search String.
  8. Save
  9. Unmark All Files
  10. Copy the next Full-Text Search string
  11. Return to full-text search window to conduct a new search
Therefore, I'm exploring whether a solution is possible: creating an Automatic Full-Text-Search function. Ideally, it would allow to run either manually or automatically a "refresh" search, where calibre would run full-text search of all books using a set of existing Full_text_search tags, and ensure that the tags are applied to any new books in which the text is found.

The proposed functionality should be tag-based, not virtual library-based. Tags offer flexibility and precision. By having the software automatically run the full-text search and tag results, it would simplify the categorization of books and research papers, making the system more efficient than using virtual libraries.

Last edited by mikhail_fil; 08-17-2023 at 04:27 PM.
mikhail_fil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
automatic adding tags, full text search, tagging