Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2023, 12:37 PM   #1
milindg2
milindg2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Disk I/O error when getting list of books on Kobo Glo HD

I have a Kobo Glo HD and I have been using Calibre for my book management for years.

I have just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. I have two problems:

1. I am not able to install above version 5.44 as Calibre gives an "QT not present" error.

2. Calibre always gives an I/O error whenever I plugin the Kobo when the "job" getting list of books on the device. This is the error I get.

calibre, version 3.48.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

IOError: disk I/O error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 90, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 513, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1841, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 187, in get_database_version
File "c:\t\t\apsw-mc0now\apsw-3.27.2-r1\src\cursor.c", line 1019, in APSWCursor_execute.sqlite3_prepare
File "c:\t\t\apsw-mc0now\apsw-3.27.2-r1\src\statementcache.c", line 386, in sqlite3_prepare
IOError: IOError: disk I/O error

Although this has been has been happening on and off since some time time back, this is now happening consistently with all versions. I am back to version 3.48 but still the same results.

I have factory reset my Kobo but it has not helped. Moreover, even after reset, the "collections" were not deleted. They displayed 0 books, but they were all there even after 3 reset cycles!!

Please help me resolve this. Calibre has been my go to app for my ebook management but this is driving me crazy!
milindg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:30 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Is it 64bit or 32 bit Windows 10?

I think 5.44 is the last 32 bit version due to QT version in 6.x being 64 bit only.

I've Calibre 6.13 running fine on Windows 10 and only in a VM, not real PC. But it's 64 bit Pro.
I upgraded my Win7 laptop and Win7 workstation to Linux Mint and have rarely used VMs for XP, Win7 and Win10.
Recently I got a new Lenovo laptop and saved a bit buy buying it with no OS.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-03-2023 at 03:34 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 10:40 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
A disk I/O error typically means your hardware is failing. THe disk in the reader device in this case.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:33 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
To continue from what Kovid Goyal said, I would suggest taking a backup of your Glo HD's internal µSD card. You can try copying it back to a new µSd card and possibly doing a factory reset. If that doesn't help, you can request a copy of the image for the internal µSD card. To request a copy of the image, please post in the Glo HD - SD Image available yet? thread. For a guide to creating and restoring an image, see the Memory Upgrade Mod Guide (With Pictures) thread.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 02:18 AM   #5
milindg2

Thumbs up

Thanks for your inputs, Friends!

Yes, I think I will try swapping the sd card. Thanks for the links for the process.

Will post update to inform if this worked or not.

But what about the QT library error. Should I be installing this plugin from some external sources?
Old 04-04-2023, 02:20 AM   #6
milindg2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Is it 64bit or 32 bit Windows 10?

I think 5.44 is the last 32 bit version due to QT version in 6.x being 64 bit only.

I've Calibre 6.13 running fine on Windows 10 and only in a VM, not real PC. But it's 64 bit Pro.
I upgraded my Win7 laptop and Win7 workstation to Linux Mint and have rarely used VMs for XP, Win7 and Win10.
Recently I got a new Lenovo laptop and saved a bit buy buying it with no OS.
I have a 64 bit version of Windows 10 home.
Old 04-04-2023, 04:35 AM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindg2 View Post
I have a 64 bit version of Windows 10 home.
So should work.
QT can be affected by graphics card driver or 3D acceleration.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:54 AM   #8
milindg2

That may be it!!

I have an Nvidia 9400 GT video card installed along with the corresponding drivers.

This may be creating problems in latest Calibre installation.

Is there any workaround to this?
Old 04-04-2023, 08:06 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Search here. There is some environment setting. I've not needed it, so didn't pay attention.
Also look at the Acceleration settings in the Graphics setup. Temporarily turn it down.
Maybe try a different driver.

You seem to have a separate issue of a dodgy SD card. Hope you get it sorted.