Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-13-2022, 12:27 AM   #1
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Default window size for Sigil?

Is there a way to set a default width for the Sigil window and the table of contents on the right side, so that no adjusting is needed each time the .ePub file is opened?
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:22 AM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Not that I know of…. But you can set it manually once and Sigil will remember your settings when you run it again.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes, Sigil remembers all of its Window sizes on close, and will try to reestablish them when Sigil is launched next time. It stores the geometry in its sigil.ini preferences file. If you are not seeing this behaviour then something may have corrupted the sigil.ini file or something may be deleting it or preventing it from being updated.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:56 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Also keep in mind that if you have multiple instances of Sigil open at the same time and are tweaking the geometries of all of them, the geometry of the last instance of Sigil that is closed will be what is saved to the prefs file.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:47 AM   #5
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Does that apply to Sigil version 0.9.14 as well? Or just the newest version of Sigil?
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:50 PM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It should hold or closely hold for even a Sigil that old. Make sure that the Find and Replace dialog is fully closed before exiting out of Sigil as having that dialog opened in older Sigil versions caused the MainWindow to resize itself improperly.
Old 03-13-2023, 12:43 AM   #7
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I recently got a larger monitor. I opened Sigil and set up my preferred new window size and configuration, and Sigil remembered this with newly created epubs going forward. All good.

But when I opened an old epub that I had opened in the past on the smaller monitor, the Sigil window configuration shrank, as if it remembered that this epub had been opened on a smaller monitor in the past. Is this possible?? After some experimenting, Sigil would sometimes remember the new configuration and sometimes unexpectedly shrink.

Hope I'm explaining this clearly. Any thoughts or suggestions?

On further experimentation, ignore the second paragraph. This has nothing to do with epubs previously opened on a smaller monitor.

It appears that when I open an epub that is not well formed and get the "This EPUB has HTML files that are not well formed ... Do you want to automatically fix the files?" pop-up, then the epub opens with a small window configuration (regardless of whether I answer with Yes or No).

I can change the window configuration to what I prefer, and it will "stick" for every well-formed epub that I open. But as soon as I open a not-well-formed epub, I get the small window configuration again.

I should also note that I have a dual-monitor setup.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by odamizu; 03-13-2023 at 01:54 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:05 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Thoughts? Suggestions?
That certainly sounds like a bug to me. That warning dialog shouldn't be changing/resetting Sigil's main window geometry.

EDIT: though I haven't been able to duplicate it on the Windows machine I'm on right now.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-13-2023 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:22 AM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

It wll as the dockwidget sizes are only restored after the main app window is and properly sized. The first top-level modal dialog (hopefully the MainWindow) with a 0 parent will trigger this workaround. But if first top level widget is not the MainWindow, the workaound fails. Therefore the "do you want to fix these errors dialog" will mess things up if it pops up before main window.

Not sure how to workaround this behaviour.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:04 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Ahhh.. I think I see. When double-clicking a badly formed epub (rather than opening Sigil and then opening the epub), the warning dialog will show before the Main Window. I thought that might be the problem. But I still can't seem to duplicate the issue on Windows (and the dialog is definitely popping up before MainWindow). Might it be a Mac-only thing?
Old 03-13-2023, 11:09 AM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Could easily be macOS only. Same with the damn Find and Replace dialog as well on macOS.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:09 PM   #12
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Thanks for info! Glad it's not just me. Funny I never noticed it before.

ETA: Workaround for me is to turn off Mend on Open and run Mend manually after I open the epub.

Last edited by odamizu; 03-14-2023 at 12:23 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote