Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-24-2023, 03:51 PM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
FWIW, display:none has been standard css even for epub2, so everything should support it. Not sure what type of display engine they are using in your Desktop reader. All current epub readers should not have an issue with it. Even my very very old Sony reader handled it quite well.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-24-2023 at 04:03 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:03 PM   #17
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
An interesting observation. The "visibility:hidden" did not help either.

I copied the very same ebook onto my tablet and it works fine.... no visible second title..... using FBReader... ostensibly the same program I am using on this desktop.

So I installed Calibre on the desktop, and it works fine in Calibre as well.

I guess something is definitely FUBAR with a couple of my readers.
Sorry if you mentioned it earlier - but I'm not sure what reader you are trying this on. Some readers pretty much ignore the css in an ebook (like moon+)...I would check to see if you need to select "publisher settings", or something similar, to use the css YOU wrote, rather than the device/app's default.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:17 PM   #18
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am running the Mageia 8 Linux OS on my desktop.

On the desktop I am using FBReader and Okular. Okular is the standard ebook and pdf reader in the Mageia distro. Both of them seem to be ignoring the CSS in the book.

I am also running FBReader on my tablet, and that works fine.

I looked at the settings for FBReader on the desktop and didn't see anything that looked appropriate to the problem. The settings parameters on the desktop program and the mobile app are different. Very strange.

Same with the Okular settings.... nothing looked relevant.

And... as I said, Calibre on the desktop shows the book as desired.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:50 PM   #19
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My guess is that neither FBReader nor Okular on the Desktop are native epub reading programs. They probably natively read some other format and convert an epub to it on the fly. This conversion probably does not understand basic css like display: none.

Versions of those programs for Android probably use the Android built in blink/chrome browser widget which natively understands css making epubs work properly.

But this is only a guess.

Update: based on this discussion
https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...ular_and_epub/

I was right and okular's epub support is quite broken and uses obsolete conversion tools to try to read epubs.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-25-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 03:03 PM   #20
KevinH
Sigil Developer

You might want to try an e-reader that was designed and built to support epubs.

The best (most spec compliant) desktop one I have found is Thorium. According to this link they have a Linux version.

https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader/

I use the macOS version and it handles just about everything correctly. One of the better epub3 readers around.

And the desktop FBReader site says a new free version 2.0 was released in December of 2022 but it is *not* open source nor is it a rewrite of the android version which makes me really wonder what it is doing behind the scenes.

Last edited by KevinH; 01-25-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:55 PM   #21
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
Okular does some really strange things, which is why I switched to FBReader. I use FBReader as my main reader on my Android tablet, so I figured it would be good on the desktop. Nah.

I will look into installing Thorium, but the only viable installation on this platform appears to be Appimage, and I will have to learn how to do that.

In the interim, I found Foliate in the Mageia repositories, and that application seems to work properly with regard to the CSS in the book.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote