Notices

Old 10-09-2022, 07:48 AM   #1
recook
Enthusiast
recook began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Nia
[SOLVED] Cannot reduce window size on Linux

Hi,

yesterday i built Sigil from source on Debian for a Netbook, which had no issues beyond a few "deprecated" and "unused variable".

When starting, the Sigil window was not maximized, but bigger than the screen (1024x600) and resize was grey and unusable.

Here i found the thread Cannot reduce window size on macOS, which pointed me to the section mainwindow, entries maximized and fullscreen in (on this distro) the file
Quote:
~/.local/share/sigil-ebook/sigil.ini

These were both =false, but there was a line in the same section
Code:
geometry=@ByteArray(\x1\xd9\xd0\xcb\0\x3\0\0\0\0\0\x31\0\0\0\0\0\0\x4\x9a\0\0\x2\xd8\0\0\0\x32\0\0\0\x1c\0\0\x4\x99\0\0\x2\xd7\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x4\0\0\0\0\x32\0\0\0\x1c\0\0\x4\x99\0\0\x2\xd7)
which i removed on a hunch, after copying sigil.ini to a backup.

Sigil started and the problem seemed solved, i can maximize and back, also resize to my heart's content, and the screen size gets respected.

sigil.ini now had, in the mainwindow section, no more geometry or fullscreen lines, though.

Comments? Did i do this right?
--
regards,
-- recook
recook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Pretty much. The question is why was the sigil.ini file was created with impossible main window geometry to begin with. Sigil will not automatically start up the first time maximized or full screen.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've encountered corrupt/invalid Sigil geometry preferences a few times in the past. I've assumed it was due to an ini file from a pre-highdpi-aware version of Sigil/Qt being accessed by a highdpi-aware version of Sigil/Qt. Could be wrong, though.

But the mainwindow section should always have a geometry entry in my mind. Perhaps the OP simply hadn't closed Sigil yet after making the changes and relaunching?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-09-2022 at 09:13 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #4
recook
Enthusiast
recook began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Nia
Hi,

you're right, Sigil was open when i looked.
And after a restart of Sigil both fullsccreen and geometry entries have returned.

Apparently, sigil.ini was indeed created during the first start with unsuitable geometry. Sigil then ran without being maximized or fullscreen, but, as i said, not resizable.

Anyway problem solved, i'm a happy camper.
--
regards,
-- recook

Last edited by recook; 10-09-2022 at 10:56 AM. Reason: expansion
recook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
resize, screen size, sigil.ini, window