Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-03-2022, 07:10 AM   #61
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well there's obviously a lot of confusion and uncertainty here. I make epub3. Apparently that can only be read by the kepub renderer. The kepub renderer overrides margins it seems by the experiments earlier.

So I still have no idea what the bottom line is. The only way I would find out for sure is to test on a Kobo. But it's clear to me that a 0.5em margin, whether or not it can be overridden, is certainly nothing to worry about, even if some people who prefer 0.3em may be aggrieved.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:55 AM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookman156 View Post
Well there's obviously a lot of confusion and uncertainty here. I make epub3. Apparently that can only be read by the kepub renderer. The kepub renderer overrides margins it seems by the experiments earlier.

So I still have no idea what the bottom line is. The only way I would find out for sure is to test on a Kobo. But it's clear to me that a 0.5em margin, whether or not it can be overridden, is certainly nothing to worry about, even if some people who prefer 0.3em may be aggrieved.
You have it incorrect. You don't set a margin of anything but 0 margin. You don't want to impose any margin. Most ePub 3 will render well enough in the other RMSDK that Kobo uses for ePub. If you do use small-caps to display smallcaps and it's important enough that they be smallcaps and uppercase won't do, then you'll want to not use small-caps and you'll want to use a smaller font size to simulate smallcaps. .7em or 70% is too small for smallcaps. You have to take into account the older RMSDK used on Kobo and there are still some using old Sony Readers that use an older RMSDK then Kobo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 10:32 AM   #63
bookman156
Addict
bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookman156 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I only use proper small caps or nothing at all, reduced font size doesn't match the weight of the rest of the text and is pretty ugly. If true small caps are rendered in some readers that's good enough for me. I particularly like using c2sc because BCE won't become bce, 3D won't become 3d.

What is the difference between setting margin to 0 and simply not having any margin declaration on body at all?

From what I gather in my own experiments and reading here, it would seem Kobo is alone in not overriding CSS margins, yet comes with a margin anyway even if it was set to 0. Am I incorrect on that too?

Last edited by bookman156; 09-03-2022 at 10:35 AM.
bookman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 02:24 PM   #64
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I agree, usually better not to simulate small-caps with a smaller size because it looks rubbish and mostly the point of small-caps is decorative. So don't do it at all in ebooks. Only PDF and/or paper.

For ebooks simpler and plainer is best.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote