Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-12-2022, 01:20 AM   #1
cliffsloane555
cliffsloane555 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wikipedia quick reference searches fail

My Kindle Voyage (7th Gen, 5.13.6) suddenly stopped being able to submit lookups to Wikipedia in the quick reference section (Wikipedia, Translation and Dictionaries). On Monday it worked like normal, but on Tuesday it only produced "There was an error loading the results. Please try again." The only change I did was to clear the browser's search history.
This problem occurs regardless of wifi connection.
I saw a thread about this from 7 years ago on this forum, so I hope a solution is possible.
I also did a comparison with my Basic (10th Gen, 5.14.2). Mostly it is the same problem but the newer device works on some single words (I tried Hebron, Rushdie, Leibniz and Steven).
Wikipedia is also available through the two browsers, but they are awfully slow.

Amazon staff tried two things that did nothing: cold restart and deregister/reregister the device. They told me that nobody had called or contacted them about this. I am alone in the world, she said.
Am I alone?
cliffsloane555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:37 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It has been discussed a little in this slightly earlier thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346709

For me it does work sometimes, but get the error message quite often. Since it applies to multiple releases of firmware I suspect the issue is on the server side of things.

I think whoever you talked to at Amazon was clueless. Sadly, that is often the case. I rarely contact support any more, as they just waste my time and theirs. In this case, why can’t they just whip out a Kindle and verify the issue for themselves?

The Kindle apps don’t have this issue (iOS or Android/Fire).

Last edited by tomsem; 05-12-2022 at 01:41 AM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I'm just adding my sentiments to tomsem's reply. Amazon support really does nothing when it comes to technical problems. All they will tell you is to restart then reformat the device. If those don't work, they'll offer you a replacement, or a discount to trade your kindle in.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 03:29 PM   #4
cliffsloane555

More evidence, as though it were needed, that Amazon Kindle tech support should go back to burgers.

On this, my third call, Hermione said only "Kindle no longer supports the Voyage."

About the Basic 10th, she had me sideload the software update, even though I angrily told her it had automatically updated to the latest version already. And, of course, it was the same problem.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:48 PM   #5
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsloane555 View Post
More evidence, as though it were needed, that Amazon Kindle tech support should go back to burgers.

On this, my third call, Hermione said only "Kindle no longer supports the Voyage."

About the Basic 10th, she had me sideload the software update, even though I angrily told her it had automatically updated to the latest version already. And, of course, it was the same problem.
An agent told me to sideload an update that I already have too. It did nothing to fix the problem and the agent disconnected on me.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #6
cliffsloane555

I am much relieved to report that Amazon has fixed the problem, after 10 days. My life is too short to call and ask what they did, although I suspect it has to do with updating the security certificate.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffsloane555 View Post
I am much relieved to report that Amazon has fixed the problem, after 10 days. My life is too short to call and ask what they did, although I suspect it has to do with updating the security certificate.
The issue affected multiple firmware versions of Kindle, more likely it was a server side issue. But yes, seems to be working again.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle voyage, wikipedia