Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-30-2022, 12:14 PM   #1
franksisco
franksisco began at the beginning.

Device: Moto G6 Plus
FBReader start screen/ introduction

This is my first time posting here and the question is a bit ridiculous: does anyone have any idea how to disable the damn "start screen" or "introduction" page that pops up every single time FBReader is started? It would be nice to start the app directly from the library page like all the others....
I have FBReader Pro, latest version. Searched everywhere. Unable to remove it.
Thanks...
franksisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:07 AM   #2
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
I don't use it but I just had a very quick tinker, I installed the FBReader Bookshelf plugin separately from the PlayStore. It installs as a separate app so you have to launch from that instead of the regular FBReader but it will open up into a more familiar grid library view and there are a few customisation settings. It seemed to automatically pick up books in my internal Books folder (which I use for Moon+) but there's access to Internal and External SD by the looks.

It's a bit annoying it's got a little bar at the bottom permanently asking you to upgrade to Pro but hey, it's free I guess.

It's not a perfect solution because from there it doesn't look like you can access network stuff like in the main app (you know, add your own OPDS, FeedBooks etc). It also doesn't appear to allow you to access Tags in the side menu unlike the main app. See what others have to say I gotta go I got stuff to do but I have a little gut feeling they probably want you to upgrade to pro to get to Tags and/or enable thumbnail (i.e. Bookshelf) view in the main app without the plugin because there is a setting option in the Bookshelf plugin to never open the introduction book, but FBReader doesn't respect that. I suspect it would respect that when it gets properly integrated into FBReader when you buy the Pro version.

Some launchers let you hide apps (NovaLauncher does) so if both sitting in your app draw bug you, you could try just hiding FBReader.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 05-02-2022 at 02:27 AM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
franksisco

Thanks for the advice bazookajoe but my hope was to continue using Fbreader (I have the Pro version) just without that damn annoying, useless, nonsensical and inconvenient start page.... I think it's a bit ridiculous to have to install another app to do the same thing Fbreader does after closing... that damn start screen....
Anyway, I agree with you.... Much better Moon+ Reader in every single aspect. I'll switch to it. The only thing it lacks compared to Fbreader is a desktop application that can be synchronized with the one on the device.
Not a small thing...

P.S. I don't understand why you need the FBReader Bookshelf if you use Moon+ which already has its own ...
Old 05-02-2022, 12:55 PM   #4
bazookajoe
Connoisseur
bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.bazookajoe invented the internet.

Device: Onyx Leaf, excessive amount of Android devices
You're right. I decided to buy Pro because curiosity got the better of me (this whole thing is just an exercise of curiosity I don't use FBReader I've never liked it). Even the Pro version does not respect the setting in it's own dang interface to never show the introduction book...which in and of itself is convoluted and hard to find because you can't access Settings in other views, it has to be thumbnail which is a horrific Frankenstein's monster of mushing in the Material design Bookshelf plugin into the outdated older FBReader design (still leaving out easy access to Tags and Network as I said with the FBReader free version with the Bookshelf plugin). I'm not sure I can tell what the benefits of Pro are? You just don't have to have separate plugins?

I'd suggest contacting the developer to see if there's a solution, something we're missing. The book that we can't get rid of at the start has a contact link by the looks. My personal feeling is it's a bug because we're both on Pro now and I know where the setting is and it doesn't do anything.

I personally use Moon+ for everything it's been my staple for years, I use Calibre on Windows to manage my collection and Calibre Companion and/or Calibre Sync on Android to sync and manage my books. I like to compartmentalise. One thing to organise, one thing to read.

Last edited by bazookajoe; 05-02-2022 at 12:59 PM.
bazookajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 01:02 PM   #5
franksisco

Yes it's true, the setting to disable the start screen is there but it doesn't work.... Anyway I've been using Moon+ Reader Pro for a while now and seriously, it's 1000 times better.
The thing I really miss is the ability to sync annotations and highlights with Calibre or a desktop version of it.
Yes Moon+ Pro can export notes and that's something, but seeing them directly on the page even on a pc monitor would be much better..

Tags
fbreader