Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-07-2022, 01:27 PM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have a go at Finnegan’s Wake. If that fails, you can have a go at Ulysses.
I anticipated your suggestions.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=345036
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 01:47 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Been there done that and posted a list of some truly awful books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Been there done that and posted a list of some truly awful books.
Yep. A good list, in fact. But a book has to be more than just awful. I’ve responded to you there.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:34 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
One of the obscure things I like better about ebooks (or ereaders, I guess) is that I can turn off any and all progress indicators. Feeling/seeing how close I am to the end of a book is actually a bit of a spoiler for me. There are easy assumptions about the outcome of plot threads I can make when I know I'm near the end that I can't make when I don't. Not knowing my position in a book/chapter is an ignorant bliss I've come to cherish quite a lot.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-07-2022 at 06:07 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #50
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
One of the obscure things I like better about ebooks (or ereaders, I guess) is that I can turn off any and all progress indicators. Feeling/seeing how close I am to the end of a book is a actually a bit of a spoiler for me. There are easy assumptions about the outcome of plot threads I can make when I know I'm near the end that I can't make when I don't. Not knowing my position in a book/chapter is an ignorant bliss I've come to cherish quite a lot.
Yeah, it can be a bit spolerish when it seems things are resolving...oh wait, we're only 60% through the book?
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:35 AM   #51
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
I think, beyond the convenience factor, the dictionary lookup tool is what makes ebooks awesome. Makes the classics a lot more accessible.

That and being able to export book quotes to shove onto unsuspecting group chats.

The biggest downside is avoiding that itch to buy the newest tech. I fell for it once and hope to avoid it the next go-round.

EDIT: I forgot the real reason I love ebooks- I can lay in bed and read without killing some part of my body. Trying to lay on your side and read a paper book in bed is nigh impossible.

Last edited by spacepope; 02-08-2022 at 04:03 AM.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:42 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
EDIT: I forgot the real reason I love ebooks- I can lay in bed and read without killing some part of my body. Trying to lay on your side and read a paper book in bed is nigh impossible.
I can read in bed without needing the lamp on. So I do not bother my wife.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:01 AM   #53
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think the answer can be summed up by simply saying these three words:

"War and Peace"

"War and Peace" is indeed the iconic example of the long book. (IMO not too long ). Looking in my Calibre library most of the books that are longer are omnibusses. But several "single" books are longer. As examples "The Count of Monte Christo" and "Shogun".
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote