Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #526
FireFrog
Enthusiast
FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.FireFrog reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle 2019, Kobo Libra 2
With some days, weeks past and a couple of charge cycles - how's everyone's battery life looking? What's your usage pattern and how long does a single charge last for you?

I've charged mine 3x now since getting it ~3.5 weeks ago. Reading for about 4-5 hours a day with 18% brightness, no WiFi or sync. A charge lasts for 5-6 days with 15%-21% battery left. Drains 1% battery when sleeping.
FireFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:53 PM   #527
Numnumnum
Numnumnum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
I find highlighting very easy to accidentally do because I tap for page turns, and if I'm off the tap spot so to speak then highlighting happens quite quickly.

And yes, when I purposefully want to highlight it's very responsive

I can't compare to your clara hd but i can say it's very responsive.
Great, thank you for your reply regarding the highlighting. Really the annotating/highlighting challenges are the only thing keeping me from moving all my non-fiction reading to an e-reader. But if the newer models (eg Libra 2) are more responsive maybe I can do that and get all these paper books out of my small apartment.

My Libra 2 is in the mail so looking forward to reporting back.
Numnumnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:33 PM   #528
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFrog View Post
With some days, weeks past and a couple of charge cycles - how's everyone's battery life looking? What's your usage pattern and how long does a single charge last for you?

I've charged mine 3x now since getting it ~3.5 weeks ago. Reading for about 4-5 hours a day with 18% brightness, no WiFi or sync. A charge lasts for 5-6 days with 15%-21% battery left. Drains 1% battery when sleeping.
Maybe you want to make libra 2 battery stats a new thread

So far, my ereader is 4 reading days old:
18.4 hours of reading
29% battery left (after the first full charge)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #529
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numnumnum View Post
Great, thank you for your reply regarding the highlighting. Really the annotating/highlighting challenges are the only thing keeping me from moving all my non-fiction reading to an e-reader. But if the newer models (eg Libra 2) are more responsive maybe I can do that and get all these paper books out of my small apartment.

My Libra 2 is in the mail so looking forward to reporting back.
I also read non fiction, but I also put them on a tablet, because of maps and charts, and photos etc etc

So whilst it's great to be able to highlight and annotate the ebooks whilst reading on an ereader, it really is great to be able to see the photos and maps etc in colour on the tablet. Which you can do simultaneously

The ereader screen is still the best screen to read for any period of time, imo, but doesn't do photos or maps etc well

Whereas the tablet (any brand you like) does, and in colour

Edit
Irrespective, keeping your non fiction collection on calibre ensures its longevity

Edit 2
Oh and don't forget pinch to zoom on a tablet, and other stuff, so much easier

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-27-2021 at 04:57 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #530
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Of course you're joking, but I'm finally experiencing battery failure - when it's showing 30-45 percent or so of battery life remaining. (I get the dreaded exclamation point inside an image of an empty battery. I don't think batteries can be shipped internationally. However, it's perfectly fine when charged; that is, until it gets to those percentage marks.)

I do have my wonderful Oasis 3 (that I love), and my perfectly performing Kobo Aura One (that I'm somewhat tired of).

About that drawer where I should put my Kindle Voyage: What if it also contains my underwear and socks? I need some advice, Jon....
Easy, anything in that drawer will just sit unused. If you socks and underwear are in that drawer, then you go without socks and underwear. Just be very careful zipping.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 06:27 PM   #531
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I ended up buying a Libra 2 for this generation. The improvements to text and image contrast is *very* noticeable, and when compared side by side, really puts the older models to shame.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:18 PM   #532
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Easy, anything in that drawer will just sit unused. If you socks and underwear are in that drawer, then you go without socks and underwear. Just be very careful zipping.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:30 PM   #533
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

I'm very OCD about the battery life of my ereaders so I never let it get lower than 65% or so, but I have my Libra 2 attached to my computer every few days to upload books and then I leave it for like half an hour. Usually that let's it stay between 70 and 100% at all times.

So honestly I'm not sure about the battery life. I have noticed it drains a lot quicker than any of my Kindles ever did, but it's not bothering me at all.

If I had to guess hoe much it drains I would say like 4 to 5% an hour when I'm reading?

PS, I've also had the device freeze for like 3 times in the first few days where I had to push the power button for a long time to restart it, but nothing after that.

Last edited by SusanReads; 11-27-2021 at 11:36 PM.
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:58 AM   #534
polymerwitch
polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.polymerwitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I'm getting to the end of my second full cycling of the battery. I wanted to get pretty good stats. Of course, this is for my use case: wifi off, frontlight 5-15%, KOReader exclusively (which I think gets just slightly less battery life than the standard Nickle reader).

My average across the two charges is 2 weeks total, 32 hours of screen time on, and all other times in sleep mode.

After this cycle, I'm going to start just plugging it in when I finish a book or two. So, probably close to every 300-500 pages instead of every 1000ish as I feel like I have an expectation of how long the battery lasts for my use case now.
polymerwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 02:18 AM   #535
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My Libra 2 is still on its first charge, because I haven't read anything on it yet (I've been reading on my Sage). I do intend to try the Libra out in the near future, as soon as I take the time to load some books on it. Perhaps tonight.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:16 AM   #536
martinot
Swedish Kobo User
martinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and gracemartinot herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo Forma, Kindle Paperwhite 11, iPad mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I do have my wonderful Oasis 3 (that I love), and my perfectly performing Kobo Aura One (that I'm somewhat tired of).
Get a Forma. It is like Oasis 3 in the Kobo ecosystem, and in many regards even better. Aura One is still a good and absolutely fine e-reader, but the Forma is a great upgrade over it.
martinot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:45 AM   #537
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
Get a Forma. It is like Oasis 3 in the Kobo ecosystem, and in many regards even better. Aura One is still a good and absolutely fine e-reader, but the Forma is a great upgrade over it.
For me the Sage and the Libra 2 are upgrades over the Forma (which I was never attracted to for some reason). That's because of the improved contrast of the Carta 1200 screens (which are better than the Oasis 3) and the faster processor of the Sage, plus the stylus option (my Surface Pen works perfectly with the Sage). The shorter battery life is a minor annoyance for me, not a dealbreaker.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #538
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinot View Post
I have no need for a Forma and the 'Wedge of Woe' light issue that accompanies it, in addition to the problematic power button. If I did get an additional Kobo (just recently purchased the Kobo Libra 2), it would be the Sage with it's new features and better screen than the Forma.

I find the Oasis 3 to be a great ebook reader. The Kobo Libra 2 should be a wonderful addition to my arsenal of ereaders.

(When the Forma drops to $100 - or below - I might possibly buy one.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-28-2021 at 09:32 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #539
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My Libra 2 is still on its first charge, because I haven't read anything on it yet (I've been reading on my Sage). I do intend to try the Libra out in the near future, as soon as I take the time to load some books on it. Perhaps tonight.
I have no idea how the battery on my Libra 2 is because I've been constant fiddling with it, installing and tweaking stuff, so I have it plugged into my PC a few minutes a day which is enough to keep it above 90%. It seems fine compared to my very old Kindle voyage 😃

BTW USB C is the bomb. I'm so done with taking 2, 3 tries to plug in stuff.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:06 PM   #540
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does anyone have the original Aura H2O and the Libra 2? If so,can you do a comparison of the screens. I know the H2O has a lower resolution screen. Thanks.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote