Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 01:29 AM   #1006
Kaetrin
Connoisseur
Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Thank you! I ran the file and got the message that it worked. Hopefully I won't have the random unapproved auto-update issue again now.
Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #1007
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
I just had my K4Mac 1.17 update to 1.30 on my MacBook Pro with MacOS Mojave automatically when I started the app. It has been fine until now as I have the don't update box ticked. Anyone else have this happen?

EDIT: Whoops just saw the other posts before this which might answer my question....The fix only appears to work for K4PC? jhowell, could you please make a similar fix for the mac?

Inukami

Last edited by Inukami; 11-02-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:29 AM   #1008
JanCarel
JanCarel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Windows upgrading Kindle for PC automatically

Last weekend Kindle for Pc upgraded automatically. I reinstalled the 1.17 version as described in this thread.
Though I cannot prove that this happened because I accessed the Kindle program after connecting my Kindle to the USB port, I suspect that the newest Kindle firmware updates force the PC program to update itself.
I am happy enough with the current Kindle firmware (lots of comments though, which probably will not be adressed) I am not going to switch on the Wifi again.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #1009
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
Whoops just saw the other posts before this which might answer my question....The fix only appears to work for K4PC? jhowell, could you please make a similar fix for the mac?
I am not a Mac user, but I suspect that you could open a Terminal window and enter the following command to prevent updates:

chmod -w "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Kindle/updates"

Someone else with more knowledge of that platform may be able to test that or suggest a different solution.
Old 11-02-2020, 02:19 PM   #1010
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inukami View Post
I just had my K4Mac 1.17 update to 1.30 on my MacBook Pro with MacOS Mojave automatically when I started the app. It has been fine until now as I have the don't update box ticked. Anyone else have this happen?

EDIT: Whoops just saw the other posts before this which might answer my question....The fix only appears to work for K4PC? jhowell, could you please make a similar fix for the mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I am not a Mac user, but I suspect that you could open a Terminal window and enter the following command to prevent updates:

chmod -w "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Kindle/updates"

Someone else with more knowledge of that platform may be able to test that or suggest a different solution.
@jhowell — Intriguing! I will test chmod -w when I get a chance.

ETA: chmod -w works!

In the meantime, @Inukami, I replaced the "updates" folder with an empty text file also named "updates" (no extension). It seems to be working. See this post.

Last edited by odamizu; 11-26-2020 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #1011
Sial
Sial began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Thanks for those instructions.

I was using Kindle for PC version 1.17 (1.17.44183 to be precise) but a forced update later and .... Kindle for PC version 1.30 was installed.

Unfortunately, even following the steps described in your post, I'm now unable to register on Amazon (amazon.fr) with version 1.17 (1.17.44170 or 1.17.44183, doesn't matter).

I now use version 1.26 and must solve the DRM errors (back to Apprentice Alf's Blog)
Old 11-06-2020, 12:47 AM   #1012
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
After suffering the forced update to my Kindle for PC version, I found a copy of ver 1.24 and 1.23. Even after uninstalling 1.3, and then reinstalling 1.24 or 1.23, and the .bat file helpfully provided above, I was still getting the new format downloaded. I found in the beginning of this thread the tip to disable the rendered. I utilized that tip and am now able to download the older format amazon files (although now they are in folders. Maybe I'll try and go back to 1.17 and see if that fixes it).
Old 11-06-2020, 04:42 AM   #1013
Sial

jhowell, you're really a wizard.
Thank you so much.
Following, my first attempt, yesterday, I finally download Kindle for PC version 1.24 and use your solutions to disable KFX support and prevent app updates.

I just have one additional information:
the SHA-256 hash for KindleForPC-installer-1.24.51068:
c7a1a93763d102bca0fed9c16799789ae18c3322b1b3bdfbe8 c00422c32f83d7

Nota: in your different hash, there is a space, but not in mine.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:02 AM   #1014
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sial View Post
I just have one additional information:
the SHA-256 hash for KindleForPC-installer-1.24.51068:
c7a1a93763d102bca0fed9c16799789ae18c3322b1b3bdfbe8 c00422c32f83d7

Nota: in your different hash, there is a space, but not in mine.
Added to the first post. The space is an artifact of the MobileRead display system - it isn't really there.
Old 11-06-2020, 05:12 AM   #1015
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sial View Post
Thanks for those instructions.

I was using Kindle for PC version 1.17 (1.17.44183 to be precise) but a forced update later and .... Kindle for PC version 1.30 was installed.

Unfortunately, even following the steps described in your post, I'm now unable to register on Amazon (amazon.fr) with version 1.17 (1.17.44170 or 1.17.44183, doesn't matter).

I now use version 1.26 and must solve the DRM errors (back to Apprentice Alf's Blog)
I've seen someone with problems registering 1.17 say they were able to do so after installing and registering 1.30. Then they re-installed and registered 1.17 with the additional step of needing to approve the login via their phone.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #1016
Sial

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I've seen someone with problems registering 1.17 say they were able to do so after installing and registering 1.30. Then they re-installed and registered 1.17 with the additional step of needing to approve the login via their phone.
At the end of the day, it works with 1.17.
1) I installed version 1.24 and register on amazon.fr
2) I installed 1.17 and ... voilà, no more problem

Formerly, between step 1 and 2, I uninstalled amazon kindle for PC before the reinstallation.

My only (small) concern: disable k4pc download.bat doesn't seem to find the right directory, but it's no biggies.

Once again, thanks!
Old 11-07-2020, 05:59 AM   #1017
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
I too got hit with the automatic update to 1.30 on my Mac (MacBook Pro, Mojave) despite not having automatic updates turned on. I re-installed 1.23, but it's installing AZW with a voucher which is coming through to Calibre as KFX. Fortunately, DeDRM handled it and I converted it to epub.

However, I now have to redo the fix and try the new fix to prevent automatic updates. The original fix worked and I no longer have the voucher when I download. I did the new fix too, so I'll see I get nagged about updates again along with stealth upgrades.

Last edited by maddz; 11-07-2020 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #1018
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I removed all permissions from the Update folder (windows 10 os). Any reason why this shouldn't work?
Old 11-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #1019
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I removed all permissions from the Update folder (windows 10 os). Any reason why this shouldn't work?
It seems likely that it should work, but we won't know for certain until someone tests it. Please report back on your experience.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #1020
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
Just today I watched helplessly as my kindle 4 pc 1.17 updated itself right before my eyes! Now I am searching all over for the version that I had...1.17. The link provided at the beginning of this thread does not work at least for me. I am on windows 10. I am not sure if it would do me any good to try starting over with 1.17 since it appears that others here have tried only to have theirs update over and over again. Nothing ventured nothing gained...could somebody help with a download to 1.17? I didn't think that Amazon would do this to us all, but guess I was wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc