Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #826
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntress View Post
I tried changing it to Code2000 in the lib file after jackie told about it, still didn't work out.
I don't read any Hebrew but assuming the attached screencap looks OK, it all seems to be working fine for me using the font and dictionary you linked to, installed as an "Extra" dictionary following the documented custom dictionary rules.

The font filename needs to be Code2000.ttf to match the internal fontname. Then reboot after sideloading.

The kobopatch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height needs to match the internal fontname exactly:
Code:
      Find:    "Georgia "
      Replace: "Code2000"
      MustMatchLength: yes
Additionally enable this patch Allow searches on Extra dictionaries in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml

The dictionary filename needs to be dicthtml-he.zip

You need to make sure that he is included as one of the languages in the ExtraLocales line in your config file .kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, e.g.
Code:
ExtraLocales=ch, cl, co, d2, he, mw, oa, oe, wb, wk, wu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Code2000_he.png
Views:	223
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	182043  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:38 PM   #827
Ntress
Ntress began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't read any Hebrew but assuming the attached screencap looks OK, it all seems to be working fine for me using the font and dictionary you linked to, installed as an "Extra" dictionary following the documented custom dictionary rules.

The font filename needs to be Code2000.ttf to match the internal fontname. Then reboot after sideloading.

The kobopatch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height needs to match the internal fontname exactly:
Code:
      Find:    "Georgia "
      Replace: "Code2000"
      MustMatchLength: yes
Additionally enable this patch Allow searches on Extra dictionaries in libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml

The dictionary filename needs to be dicthtml-he.zip

You need to make sure that he is included as one of the languages in the ExtraLocales line in your config file .kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, e.g.
Code:
ExtraLocales=ch, cl, co, d2, he, mw, oa, oe, wb, wk, wu
Thank you for the effort.
Well, I did all of this steps, the ExtraLocales line was not even exist in my KoboeReader.conf so I added it.
I see the added dictionary but I still see those characters instead of Hebrew.
I still cannot choose the Code2000 font from the [Aa] menu.

Maybe it's something with the font I have, could you upload yours?
Ntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:28 PM   #828
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you for the effort.
Well, I did all of this steps, the ExtraLocales line was not even exist in my KoboeReader.conf so I added it.
I see the added dictionary but I still see those characters instead of Hebrew.
I still cannot choose the Code2000 font from the [Aa] menu.

Maybe it's something with the font I have, could you upload yours?
I used the Code2000.ttf file from your link (renamed to match the internal fontname). If you can't see Code2000 in your [Aa] font list then it's never going to work in the dictionary. That's the problem you need to fix.

The only thing I can suggest is to delete your copy of Code2000.ttf from the /fonts directory then reboot to make sure that it's fully uninstalled.

Then copy it back again to the /fonts directory and reboot to make sure it's fully reinstalled.

If that doesn't work then try sideloading a different free font which supports Hebrew and adjust kobopatch accordingly. The font's internal fontname, external fontname and the patch MUST match exactly.

After that, I'm out of ideas. You can see what your linked Code2000 and dictionary files look like on my Forma. If that screencap looks correct then the problem is something you're doing (or not doing) and not successfully communicating in your posts.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #829
Ntress

Quote:
I used the Code2000.ttf file from your link (renamed to match the internal fontname). If you can't see Code2000 in your [Aa] font list then it's never going to work in the dictionary. That's the problem you need to fix.

The only thing I can suggest is to delete your copy of Code2000.ttf from the /fonts directory then reboot to make sure that it's fully uninstalled.

Then copy it back again to the /fonts directory and reboot to make sure it's fully reinstalled.

If that doesn't work then try sideloading a different free font which supports Hebrew and adjust kobopatch accordingly. The font's internal fontname, external fontname and the patch MUST match exactly.

After that, I'm out of ideas. You can see what your linked Code2000 and dictionary files look like on my Forma. If that screencap looks correct then the problem is something you're doing (or not doing) and not successfully communicating in your posts.
according to what your'e saying, any font inside the fonts directory should be seen in the [Aa] menu?
because I have 8 other external fonts there and none of them can be seen in that menu..
Old 09-22-2020, 11:05 AM   #830
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
according to what your'e saying, any font inside the fonts directory should be seen in the [Aa] menu?
because I have 8 other external fonts there and none of them can be seen in that menu..
Correct, if you've created the /fonts subdirectory correctly all fonts you've copied in there should be visible in the [Aa] menu after the Kobo is rebooted.

If you can't see any of them it suggests the subdirectory name is wrong (it must be fonts and case matters) or you've created it in the wrong place (it should be created in the Kobo's top level visible root directory).
Old 09-24-2020, 01:35 AM   #831
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Libra Colour & Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS apps
I've searched on this site and not found an answer, so perhaps somebody here can help me out. I'm looking for a Japanese-English dictionary for my Kobo. The Kindle doesn't ship with one either, but you can buy one for about $10. Is something like that available for the Kobo? When I search Kobo's store, I only find ebook dictionaries, not installable dictionaries.

I found this thread, but the project is 5 years old and didn't seem to work well. Maybe you know of something newer?

Thanks.

Last edited by Cootey; 09-24-2020 at 01:40 AM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:28 AM   #832
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
I've searched on this site and not found an answer, so perhaps somebody here can help me out. I'm looking for a Japanese-English dictionary for my Kobo. The Kindle doesn't ship with one either, but you can buy one for about $10. Is something like that available for the Kobo? When I search Kobo's store, I only find ebook dictionaries, not installable dictionaries.
Unfortunately, Kobo doesn't do that. It's a pity, as it would be a way to solve a lot of the complaints about the dictionaries.

But, they are updating the dictionaries at this point. I don't think that a Japanese-English dictionary is being added, but, you ask them about it. They need to know what people want. Use the Feedback that is on their store for this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #833
Owl_
Enthusiastic reader
Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Owl_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0, Kobo Clara HD,Poke2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post

I found this thread, but the project is 5 years old and didn't seem to work well. Maybe you know of something newer?

Thanks.
Hi. It was not easy at all to find and convert them. Morover the conversion with Penelope plodded. You should check and tell me the final result
(PS: delete the first number before copy them)
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1dicthtml-ja-en.zip (17.86 MB, 183 views)
File Type: zip 2dicthtml-ja-en.zip (17.72 MB, 179 views)
File Type: zip 3dicthtml-ja-en.zip (15.87 MB, 183 views)
File Type: zip 4dicthtml-ja-en.zip (13.50 MB, 176 views)

Last edited by Owl_; 09-25-2020 at 05:37 AM.
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:45 AM   #834
Ntress

Quote:
Correct, if you've created the /fonts subdirectory correctly all fonts you've copied in there should be visible in the [Aa] menu after the Kobo is rebooted.

If you can't see any of them it suggests the subdirectory name is wrong (it must be fonts and case matters) or you've created it in the wrong place (it should be created in the Kobo's top level visible root directory).
Man....
Thank you so much
Problem solved!

The issue was my fonts directory was inside the .kobo subdirectory and not on the main device directory

Thank you !!!!!
Old 09-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #835
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Man....
Thank you so much
Problem solved!

The issue was my fonts directory was inside the .kobo subdirectory and not on the main device directory

Thank you !!!!!
Well, I'm glad your sideloaded fonts problem is solved but ... you need to be aware that since this saga began Kobo have released new firmware (4.24.15676) which has greatly simplified the installation of custom dictionaries.

Once firmware 4.24.15676 has been installed:
  • kobopatch Allow searches on Extra dictionaries is no longer needed
  • you still need kobopatch Dictionary text font-family/font-size/line-height if you want to use the Code2000 font. The patch needed to be changed for 4.24.15676 so make sure you're using the matching version of libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml.
  • move .kobo/dict/dicthtml-en-he.zip to .kobo/custom-dict/dicthtml-en-he.zip
  • you no longer need to add he to ExtraLocales in the Kobo config file. In fact it's better if you do not add it because Kobo will then use the 'he' language code to look up it's user-friendly name for use in the dictionary drop-down menu.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:19 AM   #836
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I installed Webster's and Chambers dictionaries and they worked fine at first. Now when I highlight a word it says 'You don't have a Deutsch dictionary installed". Despite the fact it is still in the device itself! Did this problem get fixed?
steveparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #837
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveparry View Post
I installed Webster's and Chambers dictionaries and they worked fine at first. Now when I highlight a word it says 'You don't have a Deutsch dictionary installed". Despite the fact it is still in the device itself! Did this problem get fixed?
Do you have firmware 4.24.15676 installed? If so, dictionary stuff has changed quite a lot in preparation for the new Kobo dictionaries due to be released tomorrow Oct 1st.

You might like to consider this approach:
  • Connect Kobo to PC via USB
  • Move all your custom dictionaries out of subdirectory .kobo/dict and into subdirectory .kobo/custom-dict
  • Rename your custom Chambers dictionary to dicthtml-Chambers.zip
    Rename your custom Websters dictionary to dicthtml-Websters.zip
  • Safely disconnect Kobo and reboot. The reboot is important.

After the reboot you'll have 2 new entries in the dictionary drop-down:
- dicthtml-Chambers.zip
- dicthtml-Websters.zip
and you'll never need to worry again about your custom dictionaries being overwritten during a sync.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #838
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Do you have firmware 4.24.15676 installed? If so, dictionary stuff has changed quite a lot in preparation for the new Kobo dictionaries due to be released tomorrow Oct 1st.

You might like to consider this approach:
  • Connect Kobo to PC via USB
  • Move all your custom dictionaries out of subdirectory .kobo/dict and into subdirectory .kobo/custom-dict
  • Rename your custom Chambers dictionary to dicthtml-Chambers.zip
    Rename your custom Websters dictionary to dicthtml-Websters.zip
  • Safely disconnect Kobo and reboot. The reboot is important.
After the reboot you'll have 2 new entries in the dictionary drop-down:
- dicthtml-Chambers.zip
- dicthtml-Websters.zip
and you'll never need to worry again about your custom dictionaries being overwritten during a sync.
Thank you very much for the method. It worked well, except for one of my 22 dictionaries, the Longman, whose name reads as 3 white squares (for unknown characters I suppose), followed by (Custom). I have no idea why.
And I did reboot.

Last edited by anacreon; 09-30-2020 at 04:39 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:34 PM   #839
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Thank you very much for the method. It worked well, except for one of my 22 dictionaries, the Longman, whose name reads as 3 white squares (for unknown characters I suppose), followed by (Custom). I have no idea why.
Yes, this also happened with one of mine when I attempted to name my New Oxford American dictionary as dicthtml-NOA.zip. I think the Kobo is attempting to lookup the name from one of the international standard lists of official language codes. I think there was an "accidental hit" on "NOA" (probably Norwegian). I just kept trying new names until I found a compromise which was OK, dicthtml-OxAm.zip, in my case.

If you named yours dicthtml-Losomething.zip perhaps it looked up 'lo' and found the 'Lao' language and labelled it 'Lao' but using the Lao alphabet. I wouldn't think that Kobo's Georgia default font would contain any Lao characters - hence the 3 white squares.

Last edited by jackie_w; 09-30-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #840
rashomon
rashomon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have Kobo Aura One and I've copied "dicthtml-en-cr2.zip" to ".kobo\custom-dict\", and restart the reader. But the reader don't see copied dictionary.
Am I doing something wrong?
rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo dictionaries