Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 07-25-2003, 12:55 AM   #1
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
OK, getting the hang of it, but...

...I still have a couple of questions. I hope someone can help. What's bugging me isn't that terrible, but it is bugging me.

1) With the help of the lovely people here, I've gotten iSiloX to convert my channels on a schedule and their associated .pdb files go to a folder on my iMac (OS 10.2.6). In the morning, I put the SD card into the card reader and manually drag the new channels' .pdb's from the Mac folder to the appropriate folder on the SD card.

(This previous part's kinda tedious, but it works well. Does anyone else have a method that's more effecient?)

The part that gets to me is that when I open up iSilo, it "Synchronizes the list" and when it's done each newly iSilox'ed channel has a 1KB "shadow file."

EX: iSiloX channel "Palm Tipsheet.pdb", (57KB.) It is down in the P's alphabetically in iSilo. Every time I convert this channel, I get a "Shadow file" called "._Palm Tipsheet.pdb" (1KB). This "shadow file" , when opened, looks like a buncha ????????????????????????GldOGld1?????????????????? ????????.

What is this gibberish? Each channel has it's own "shadow file" and to top it off there's a channel called ".DS_Store" (12KB) with even more ?'s.

How do I get rid of these "shadow files?" If I send my .pdb's to destination "HotSync folder" will that allieviate the "shadow files?" It's just frustrating to have to delete these files every day. They bug me.

2) I cannot seem to open iSiloXC. I download the .zip file like the other iSilo files (ex: iSiloX,...) but it opens as a blank .exe file, even when making sure to download the Mac version of the software. This isn't such a biggie, especially since I've managed to circumvent my previous issues without a buncha Cronnix (or some such not-understandable-ness). But it'd just be nice to have it when I need it, like when everyone's talking about how to solve something with it but I can't because it doesn't open.

3) I know I've seen this topic here at Turcic forums, but it seems to have disappeared. How do I get rid of the ".pdb" suffix on my iSilo channels on the handheld?

The more I get into it, the more I can configure this iSilo stuff to my liking and the more I realize that it is a beefier program than AvantGo. I'm sorry if it appeared that I was bashing iSilo in this post.

I guess I never really had given it a chance like it deserved. I've learned my lesson now and am eternally grateful for the Turcic community's forgiveness.

Humbled.
POL9A
Old 07-25-2003, 09:50 AM   #2
emale07
Enthusiast
emale07 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Is the shadow file on the SD card? If that's where it is, it's because of our Macs habit of trying to play nice with things that are not native to their OS.

The same thing will show up if you place a W&^d*ws formatted floppy in a Mac, save something on it, and then take it back to a W&^d*ws machine. Those little shadow files, from what has been explained to me by my Mac Guru, are the Mac's way of trying to play nice.

Does that help?
Old 07-25-2003, 08:08 PM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
It does.

So it's a Mac thing and not an iSiloX thing, huh? Do you know of a way I can make it away?

I suppose I could just change the destination and have my .pdb's install to the card during HotSync, but I just felt as though it was quicker to use the card reader. I guess I'll have to benchmark it for myself.

Thanks again.
POL9A