Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2020, 01:51 AM   #1
ftg
ftg began at the beginning.

Device: Aura H20
Second hand Kobo Aura won't turn on

Hello everyone,

I have bought a second hand Kobo Auro 2nd edition (I guess, I have uploaded picture of the teardown below)

https://imgur.com/a/z6Psmth

The device doesn't turn on. I have controlled voltage of the battery, it seems ok.
The LED does not even turn on. The SD card was missing, I have replaced it without any firmware, but I think that at least the LED would turn on...

First question: would someone share the firmware? thanks by advance
Second question: what kind of steps would you perform to make it alive again?

Thanks
ftg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:25 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
can you bypass or test the actual on/off switch ?.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:40 AM   #3
ftg

I tried but not sure my method is efficient, a soldering point at a time. I am not really expert at electronics...
Old 06-25-2020, 04:59 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Without the SD card, I would expect the power LED to flash a few time and then go off. But, to test, hold the power switch in the off position for about 20 seconds. This will force the device to power off. Then see what happens when you turn it on. Plugging the device into power should also trigger it to turn on after a short period of time.

And I sent the PM with the image in response to your other post. And I now understand a little bit more about what is going on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 05:40 AM   #5
ftg

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Without the SD card, I would expect the power LED to flash a few time and then go off. But, to test, hold the power switch in the off position for about 20 seconds. This will force the device to power off. Then see what happens when you turn it on. Plugging the device into power should also trigger it to turn on after a short period of time.

And I sent the PM with the image in response to your other post. And I now understand a little bit more about what is going on.
Well there is no sign of life... If battery was dead, I would have anyway some LED blinking or something when it is plugged to wall, right?
Old 06-26-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On my H2O, the LED will light up for a few seconds (reduced brightness) before turning off. This happens both without SD card as well with an empty (zeroed) one. With proper firmware SD card, the LED will go full brightness and then blink during the boot process.

However I've had also had cases where the device crashed and had to be revived by means of battery disconnect (even the reset button did not work).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo aura edition 2