Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
See the new hidpi settings in the UI appearance preferences. Depending on your actual screen dimensions, you may be better off turning qt's highdpi support off entirely. "Detect" will honor any system Qt highdpi environment variable you may have set, "On" will turn on Qt's highdpi scaling regardless, and "off" will turn it off regardless of any system environment variables related to Qt highdpi scaling.

The "incomprehensible sizes" you mentioned (though I can't imagine what's incomprehensible about simple pixel dimensions) are a result of Qt (and Windows) trying to automatically scale things on its own. If that's not working correctly for your particular setup, turn it off in the settings. The extra granularity for the variety of setups/resolutions out there is precisely why the new settings were added.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-07-2020 at 10:58 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #17
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
To be safest, make a copy of your sigil.ini files (and any other .ini files in the Sigil Preferences directory). That way if there are any settings related issues, you can always deal with them. There should not be any issues going from Sigil 1.1 to Sigil 0.9.10 and back. But you can never be too safe.

Yes you can always uninstall and reinstall from the release packages always available on our Releases page. On macOS I regularly install/replace right over top of the previous release with no issues. In Windows I am unsure. Maybe someone else could comment on that.

I simply turn on Preview to see what I am getting while editing in CodeView. When it comes time for Final proofing, I load up the opf in the main tab of Sigil, and launch PageEdit via the external Xhtml editor settings.

I then use Preview in Edit mode to make very small fixes when proofing, and then change to Preview mode in PageEdit to test links and things, while using PageEdits navigation icons to read the xhtml in spine order.

Any changes will show up in Sigil after saving and closing out of PageEdit.

Then I make any final changes in Sigil (create a ncx, update epub3 manifest, etc) and do a final save.

Of course that is just my workflow. I am sure there are many other flows just as valid.

Hope this helps.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
I never did edit in BookView, but I did use it to view what book pages would look like. I always edit in code view. Maybe I don't need PageEdit.

Mainly I just want to find out whether I can safely uninstall the new Sigil and return to my old version should I not get along with the new?

I'm in my 60s, so change doesn't always go easy, but I'm usually pretty adaptable. As I haven't worked on my digitization hobby for a bit, I thought I might as well go with 'new and improved' in hopes of liking the new Sigil even better!

Last edited by KevinH; 02-07-2020 at 12:12 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #18
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Thank you, Kevin! I figured it was probably safe enough, but just wanted to be sure before proceeding. Have everything downloaded, will explore over the weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes you can always uninstall and reinstall from the release packages always available on our Releases page. On macOS I regularly install/replace right over top of the previous release with no issues. In Windows I am unsure. Maybe someone else could comment on that.
I've never uninstalled Sigil before installing a new version. This has worked over several generations of Windows.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Except for those couple of versions that were corrupting ini files (the utf-8 issue that made inis incompatible with other Sigil versions), there should be no problem. We pulled those versions of Sigil, so very few people should be running into that issue any more. I install over top of the old version all the time.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:45 AM   #21
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Pocketbook Era, Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Except for those couple of versions that were corrupting ini files (the utf-8 issue that made inis incompatible with other Sigil versions), there should be no problem. We pulled those versions of Sigil, so very few people should be running into that issue any more. I install over top of the old version all the time.
It seems to have installed just fine!

I've been playing with some changes to my base ebook template and all seems to be working. I don't think I'll need PageEdit. I like the Previewer!

Looking great to me so far! So much so I immediately hit the donate button, only to find it is not available at this time. All I can say about that is keep us posted if it becomes available!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #22
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just re-opened yesterday's project and got 'Sigil has encountered a problem, Sigil may need to close'.

Closed the error box and it seems I can continue as normal. But I closed Sigil anyway. No error shown on re-loading the same book.

Of interest?

Error info: Critical: ARB::createContext: wglCreateContextAttribsARB() failed (GL error code: 0x0) for format: QSurfaceFormat(version 2.0, options QFlags<QSurfaceFormat::FormatOption>(), depthBufferSize 24, redBufferSize -1, greenBufferSize -1, blueBufferSize -1, alphaBufferSize -1, stencilBufferSize 8, samples 0, swapBehavior QSurfaceFormat::DefaultSwapBehavior, swapInterval 1, colorSpace QSurfaceFormat::DefaultColorSpace, profile QSurfaceFormat::NoProfile), shared context: 0x30000 (The operation completed successfully.)
Sigil version: 1.1.0
Runtime Qt: 5.12.6
Compiled Qt: 5.12.6
System: Windows 10 (10.0)
Architecture: x86_64

Last edited by theducks; 02-08-2020 at 01:11 PM.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Weird. Was Sigil open/running that entire time (yesterday's project). Or was Sigil being launched again as well?
Old 02-08-2020, 12:46 PM   #24
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Cold boot. I just dropped the e-pub file onto Sigil's desktop icon.

Seems to be ok now.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

QSurfaceFormat is bit of a giveaway for me, here.

@KevinH, do you think that the info provided here: https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtwebengine-platform-notes.html

Quote:
Default QSurfaceFormat OpenGL Profile Support

If a new default QSurfaceFormat with a modified OpenGL profile has to be set, it should be set before the application instance is declared, to make sure that all created OpenGL contexts use the same OpenGL profile.

On macOS, if the default QSurfaceFormat is set after the application instance, the application will exit with qFatal(), and print a message that the default QSurfaceFormat should be set before the application instance.
coupled with Kovid's enabling of Qt.AA_ShareOpenGLContexts in calibre's source (https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...init__.py#L885) is relevent to this message?

Maybe we should enable Qt.AA_ShareOpenGLContexts early on as well??
Old 02-08-2020, 01:53 PM   #26
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds like a reasonable thing to do just to be ultra safe, although I thought it was only needed for QQuick widgets, but perhaps QtWebEngine uses those internally.

So something along the lines of

Code:
QGuiApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts);

just before invoking MainApplication in main.cpp?

Last edited by KevinH; 02-08-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:02 PM   #27
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Should do, yes. Though I think we're using QCoreApplication in main.cpp.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-08-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:16 PM   #28
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Please push that when you get a chance as my build of Qt5.12.7 is eating up my build machine currently.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #29
KevinH
Sigil Developer

QGuiApplication inherits from QCoreApplication; and QApplication inherits from QGuiApplication. And our MainApplication inherits from QApplication.

But I think that QCoreApplication does not support gui like opengl but I could be wrong.

These should be static routines otherwise they could not be invoked before creation as is required here.

So unless I am all wet (and I could easily be!) then doing a QGuiApplication::setAttribute call right before MainApplication is created should be allowed.

Last edited by KevinH; 02-08-2020 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:37 PM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'll find out and push it.