Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-31-2019, 09:22 AM   #1
AliceWonder
Connoisseur
AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
metadata gotchas

Just discovered that some Android readers (e.g. Lithium) do not handle the dc:creator tags very well and will simply used the last one defined as the author, even if it actually has a meta tag that refines it to something else (like illustrator)

So the dc:creator tag for the primary author (or editor) needs to be last to avoid this bug.

Any other gotchas that people w/ more experience wish to share?

I have to say, I much prefer vorbis tags, but I guess it is what it is.
AliceWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Have you verified that the readers in question fully support epub3? If not, it's really no surprise (nor a bug) that the refines in the opf metadata wouldn't be recognized. As such, the last dc:creator entry would naturally be the one used.

I looked at Lithium, but couldn't find any definitive documentation that claimed epub3 support.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceWonder View Post
Any other gotchas that people w/ more experience wish to share?
In a word, well 3 actually, android readers suck for epub compliance/compatibility.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:33 PM   #4
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15/11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
In a word, well 3 actually, android readers suck for epub compliance/compatibility.
And that is one of the biggest reasons I'm still stuck in the iOS garden... and grumble about it all the time...
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 02:39 PM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
And that is one of the biggest reasons I'm still stuck in the iOS garden... and grumble about it all the time...
There are some that have been mentioned in these forums that are purported to be decent but I haven't tried them yet. You'd have to drive bamboo splinters under my fingernails to force me to use an Apple product.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
AliceWonder
Connoisseur
AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AliceWonder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There are some that have been mentioned in these forums that are purported to be decent but I haven't tried them yet. You'd have to drive bamboo splinters under my fingernails to force me to use an Apple product.
Most of them, the ads are so bad I can't even tell if they are worth paying for.

Other than this metadata issue, lithium is actually pretty good (and doesn't blast me with constant ads while trying to use it) - one of the few that supports woff2 fonts and also one of the few that displayed what I'm working on decently even before I started adding CSS to refine display.
Old 09-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceWonder View Post
Just discovered that some Android readers (e.g. Lithium) do not handle the dc:creator tags very well and will simply used the last one defined as the author, even if it actually has a meta tag that refines it to something else (like illustrator)

So the dc:creator tag for the primary author (or editor) needs to be last to avoid this bug.
Kobo devices do the opposite. They only take the first dc:creator tag. I use a metadata plugboard in calibre to workaround this. And similarly, with dc:identifier, they assume the first is the ISBN.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
They may be what some people like, but if they do not honor the CSS properly, then they are not decent.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 12:59 AM   #9
AliceWonder
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo devices do the opposite. They only take the first dc:creator tag. I use a metadata plugboard in calibre to workaround this. And similarly, with dc:identifier, they assume the first is the ISBN.
So use the author for the first and then for the last one...

Code:
<dc:creator id="woodpecker">Author Name</dc:creator>
<meta refines="#woodpecker" property="role" scheme="marc:relators">wde</meta>
That will cover both scenarios
Old 09-02-2019, 02:44 AM   #10
Vroni
Banned
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Even the toline epos latest formwire is only storing the last occurence of the cd:creator.

the opf:file-as is ignored as well (most readers do that) but if it detects a comma, it automatically converts the name from "B, A" to "A B"

Mantano Bookreader i guess is interpreting the most metadate, if caliber:series and dc_subject.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 05:07 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroni View Post
Even the toline epos latest formwire is only storing the last occurence of the cd:creator.

the opf:file-as is ignored as well (most readers do that) but if it detects a comma, it automatically converts the name from "B, A" to "A B"

Mantano Bookreader i guess is interpreting the most metadate, if caliber:series and dc_subject.
But a lot of Readers/software take the name that's in B, A and that's the format it stays in. So you can't win in either way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
metadata