Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 01-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
well if you are updating the file outside calibre, calibre has no way to know the file was updated. In such a case your best is to export the file from calibre, edit it and then re-add it by drag and drop onto the book details panel.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:28 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

well, to amend my previous statement a little, I can have the server check the actual file's mtime and size to try to detect external edits as well.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:30 AM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Oh and just FYI, you can use the reload book button in the server viewer to force the server to re-read the book regardless.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:48 AM   #19
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
well if you are updating the file outside calibre, calibre has no way to know the file was updated. In such a case your best is to export the file from calibre, edit it and then re-add it by drag and drop onto the book details panel.
not really outside of.... the book is in the calibre library , and nowhere else.- I double click the entry in main calibre window and it opens with sigil as my default epub app - then I edit and save.
as I said though - i could re-test with sigil out of the loop.i.e. use the calibre editor instead. I'd like to know what logging I can enable first though, if possible

it's all about having a slick way to spot, then correct, then check any typos or format issues. My current method is get the book onto a reading device, proof read it there, go back to calibre PC to edit as needed ( with sigil just because that is the editor I am used to ), then get the book back to the device to re-inspect it. going via content server each time

Last edited by stumped; 01-30-2019 at 04:52 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:50 AM   #20
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

When you modify a file with a non-calibre program you are modifying it outside of calibre. In anycase, just wait for th enext calibre release, it should have a workaround for your issue, unles your edits result in identical sized files with identical last modified timestamps.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
When you modify a file with a non-calibre program you are modifying it outside of calibre. In anycase, just wait for th enext calibre release, it should have a workaround for your issue, unles your edits result in identical sized files with identical last modified timestamps.
I think you may have answered the WHY of when I make a minor fix (eg typo) with Sigil via Open With; and send it via USB to my reader and the change was not there.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote