Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #1
JerryEF
JerryEF is on a distinguished road

Device: DellX51v / Amazon Kindle
Unhappy K2 Grumble #1

My new Kindle arrived yesterday and, while generally impressed with it, they did do one thing that is (for me) a step backwards. Someone on the software team decided I didn't want to keep back copies of periodicals for more than 7 days - they decided wrong. I have several months of WSJ on my K1 and find it to be very useful. I find my self frequently going back to the day before, of, or after some event to see what the writers, editorialists, letter writers... were saying. This is sometime much more interesting given the passage of time. Sufficiently useful that I promote it as a major selling point of the Kindle to my peers. The ability to do text searches of the past copies is also a big bonus.

On the new K2, one must elect to KEEP each individual periodical - 7 manipulations of the new control button - each day or risk losing the paper. While not the end of the world, the K1 was better --- do nothing and it stayed there. Perhaps a better solution would have been to let each user elect how many days to keep rather then the arbitrary 7 days.

If JB's intention is to make the Kindle invisible to the user ... this addition has added a new process to my daily routine that is completely un-necessary
JerryEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
JerryEF
JerryEF is on a distinguished road

Device: DellX51v / Amazon Kindle
I should have made more of a point of this ---- I love this thing. I had one of the first K1's and loved it. I got one of the first K2s: It is definitely a great step forward. My Grumble is really a minor nit on an otherwise great product.
JerryEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
That kind of stinks.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
yea but you got a robot voice, seems like a fair trade
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
NavyDad6
Reading is FUNdamental
NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.NavyDad6 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2
A decision prompted by the finite storage capacity of the K2.
NavyDad6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDad6 View Post
A decision prompted by the finite storage capacity of the K2.
And a poor decision at that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
When I heard about this I anticipated angry postings would show up in about oh.. seven days :-) You were a little early ;-) Is there anyway to turn off this auto-delete "feature?"
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJohnNewton View Post
When I heard about this I anticipated angry postings would show up in about oh.. seven days :-) You were a little early ;-) Is there anyway to turn off this auto-delete "feature?"
What I would do is actually give Amazon a call and talk to someone directly and if you don't get a satisfactory answer, ask to speak to a supervisor. This is your content that you paid good money for and you should have the right to decide when it gets deleted without having to keep telling your K2 to not delete it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote