Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-01-2017, 02:51 AM   #16
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Step #2, Spoiler:

"jail break survival code" != "jail break"
But many have reported to have been lost JB after a reset. As per what you say @knc1 you must be able to get back on track with just a hotfix.
But that's not the case AFAIK...
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
But many have reported to have been lost JB after a reset. As per what you say @knc1 you must be able to get back on track with just a hotfix.
But that's not the case AFAIK...
And many are not technically correct in their wording.
You have to be very careful about what non-technical people might write about a technical subject. It is mostly just magic.

The DEVICE jail break (our signature certificate) exists in the main system image and is only used during the installation of a package.
The 'reset' action does not affect the part of the main system image where the installation keys are saved.
And you will notice that those "many" people are reporting that something will not run, not that something will not install.

The 'jailbreak survival code' lives in /var/local, the hidden user area that is backed by partition #3 (the main system image lives in partition #1).
The portion of the overall file tree that is under /var/local IS affected by a reset.
In fact, that is what you are resetting, the file system contents that are stored on partition #3 and partition #4.

The 'hotfix' installs things in addition to the jail break survival code into /var/local.
Some of which is required to **run** (not to **install**) our add-ins.
Things including the application run-time keys. Those are also 'bridged' by the jailbreak survival code.
The 'reset' action includes running the de-registration process, which deletes our application keys.

When a system update is performed, it only replaces what is stored on partition #1.
(In the USA, it would be a criminal act for Amazon to delete anything in the user's data partition, /var/local/** ).

Last edited by knc1; 08-01-2017 at 08:47 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:52 AM   #18
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
And many are not technically correct in their wording.
You have to be very careful about what non-technical people might write about a technical subject. It is mostly just magic.

The DEVICE jail break (our signature certificate) exists in the main system image and is only used during the installation of a package.
The 'reset' action does not affect the part of the main system image where the installation keys are saved.
And you will notice that those "many" people are reporting that something will not run, not that something will not install.

The 'jailbreak survival code' lives in /var/local, the hidden user area that is backed by partition #3 (the main system image lives in partition #1).
The portion of the overall file tree that is under /var/local IS affected by a reset.
In fact, that is what you are resetting, the file system contents that are stored on partition #3 and partition #4.

The 'hotfix' installs things in addition to the jail break survival code into /var/local.
Some of which is required to **run** (not to **install**) our add-ins.
Things including the application run-time keys. Those are also 'bridged' by the jailbreak survival code.
The 'reset' action includes running the de-registration process, which deletes our application keys.

When a system update is performed, it only replaces what is stored on partition #1.
(In the USA, it would be a criminal act for Amazon to delete anything in the user's data partition, /var/local/** ).
Well then a hotfix can put us back on track after a reset?
So, a reset doesnt need a re-jb? @knc1
Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Well then a hotfix can put us back on track after a reset?
So, a reset doesnt need a re-jb? @knc1
If you still have a way to run MrPI to install it with.
That is another catch-22 situation that has to be dealt with.

It might be possible to come up with a software-only way to specifically recover from a 'reset' but that would require work that my old mind is no longer up to doing. All I am doing these days is parroting things that have been posted before.
"new work" has to wait for someone able and willing to do it, not me.

Last edited by knc1; 08-01-2017 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 12:54 PM   #20
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
If you still have a way to run MrPI to install it with.
That is another catch-22 situation that has to be dealt with.

It might be possible to come up with a software-only way to specifically recover from a 'reset' but that would require work that my old mind is no longer up to doing. All I am doing these days is parroting things that have been posted before.
"new work" has to wait for someone able and willing to do it, not me.
Hmm, the hotfix currently is installed without mrpi, it uses the device signing key from what I understand.

Most packages that kindletool makes for my PW3 come out as FD04, which I need to use mrpi to install, but the hotfix package is FC04, which I think can install without mrpi.

Who wants to volunteer to try it? I have serial port, so I will consider doing it, unless someone else wants to.

How confident are you that "reset" keeps the system pub dev key?
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #21
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Hmm, the hotfix currently is installed without mrpi, it uses the device signing key from what I understand.

Most packages that kindletool makes for my PW3 come out as FD04, which I need to use mrpi to install, but the hotfix package is FC04, which I think can install without mrpi.

Who wants to volunteer to try it? I have serial port, so I will consider doing it, unless someone else wants to.

How confident are you that "reset" keeps the system pub dev key?
It can be installed over the serial port.

It can be installed while running the 'diags' system (it detects this situation and mounts the 'main' system to put things in the right place (/var/local is common to 'diags' and 'main') ).
I.E: It can be run over ssh into 'diags' using RP.

But I don't know if it can be installed by putting it in the root of visible USB storage and re-booting.
Perhaps the same way that PW-1, 5.6.1.1 can be forced to install an update_*.bin

- - - -

I am very certain the key is still there.
Amazon could certainly remove it with a 'reset' - but they haven't (yet).

The 'whitelist' manifest is still on the system.
I don't know if anything still uses it.
But that would be how 'foreign' files added to the system could be detected and dealt with.

Last edited by knc1; 08-01-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #22
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It can be installed over the serial port.
It can be installed while running the 'diags' system (it detects this situation and mounts the 'main' system to put things in the right place (/var/local is common to 'diags' and 'main') ).

But I don't know if it can be installed by putting it in the root of visible USB storage and re-booting.

- - - -

I am very certain the key is still there.
Amazon could certainly remove it with a 'reset' - but they haven't (yet).

The 'whitelist' manifest is still on the system.
I don't know if anything still uses it.
But that would be how 'foreign' files added to the system could be detected and dealt with.
Yeah, right now the instructions have the hotfix installed by putting it on root of usb storage while running factory build, after installing the jailbreak key.

I remember when I tried repackaging it for an Oasis version, that the normal packages could not run scripts, only extract gzip files, the log files told me when I tried to repackage as FB package that the file names were unknown.

I might not have time this evening to run log files on 5.7.4 and test some things on 5.9.2, but I will tomorrow.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #23
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
Yeah, right now the instructions have the hotfix installed by putting it on root of usb storage while running factory build, after installing the jailbreak key.

I remember when I tried repackaging it for an Oasis version, that the normal packages could not run scripts, only extract gzip files, the log files told me when I tried to repackage as FB package that the file names were unknown.

I might not have time this evening to run log files on 5.7.4 and test some things on 5.9.2, but I will tomorrow.
I am pretty sure the 'hotfix' is only file installs.
I.E: could be created as an archive with absolute paths (like the current jb archive does).
Then everybody but MacOSx users could recover from a 'reset'.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:07 PM   #24
coplate
Guru

Quote:
I am pretty sure the 'hotfix' is only file installs.
I.E: could be created as an archive with absolute paths (like the current jb archive does).
Then everybody but MacOSx users could recover from a 'reset'.

I have confirmed that you can install the hotfix on consumer firmwares, however, not the version in the snapshots. The updates have a maximum supported version information, of some sort: note the 'target OTA'

Here is what happens when I use the hotfix on my consumer 5.9.2

Code:
D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw>kindletool.exe convert -i Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin
Checking update package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FC04 (OTA [ota])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    2443670049
Target OTA     3018920019
Code:
170801:225830 OTAController[2376]: I UserstoreScannerImpl:scanFile:filname=Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin:Parsing update file
170801:225830 OTAController[2376]: E FC04Bundle:FC04Bundle:validateSoftwareVersionFailed:Version mismatch
170801:225830 OTAController[2376]: E BundleValidator:validateBundle:valid=false,filename=/mnt/us/Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin:Removing update file

Then here is the log from the versin I have re-packaged

Code:
D:\Ninite\kndle-jb\kindletool-v1.6.4.97-mingw>kindletool.exe convert -i Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PW3_install.bin
Checking update package 'Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PW3_install.bin'.
Bundle         SP01 (Signing Envelope)
Cert number    0
Cert file      pubdevkey01.pem (Developer)
Bundle         FC04 (OTA [ota])
Bundle Type    OTA V2
Minimum OTA    0
Target OTA     18446744073709551615
Code:
170801:230027 OTAController[2376]: I UserstoreScannerImpl:scanFile:filname=Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PW3_install.bin:Parsing update file
170801:230027 OTAController[2376]: I BundleValidator:validateBundle:valid=true,filname=/mnt/us/Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.PW3_install.bin:Adding to update manager
170801:230027 OTAController[2376]: I lipc:evts:name=updateAvailable, origin=com.lab126.ota:Event sent
170801:230027 contentpackd[6116]: I def:initializeChecksum:checksum:776909d89af060e2f97f7a23d093d95a:
170801:230027 contentpackd[6116]: I def:fullscan:Checksum:776909d89af060e2f97f7a23d093d95a:Checksum verification successful
170801:230027 contentpackd[6116]: I def:handle_cp_requests:BundlePath=(null),Language=(null):Cpd installation requested restart
170801:230027 contentpackd[6116]: I def:handle_cp_requests::Waiting for cp requests

Again, this is signed with the mobileread system key, so can only be installed after the actual hotfix. I have not yet tried to install after doing a reset, this is just putting onto the usb of my already jailbroken kindle.

I am testing a reset now. and I should probably move these comments to the jailbreak thread.

Last edited by coplate; 08-01-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:19 PM   #25
coplate
Guru

I can confirm that on my consumer firmware 5.9.2 of Paperwhite 2015 ( PW3 G090 G1), that pressing the "reset" button does leave the actual jailbreak in place, and from there I was able to immediately run my custom hotfix as described in my previous post, and continue with KUAL and usbnet installs.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

It is a 'hotfix' packaging we have not had before.

So why not treat it as something new?

That is, start its own thread where you can keep the attachment to the first post current (as originator, you can edit the post). And maybe give it a different name (so people will realize it is something different to achieve an old purpose). **reset fix** ?? (your choice of course).

That would make it easier to add to the sticky index.
It would also follow the pattern of anything else we release.

Better than burying it here or in the current jailbreak thread.

Last edited by knc1; 08-01-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:14 PM   #27
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!

Finally, a way out for those who press the never touch button..
@coplate As @knc1 suggested Please start a new thread on recovery from Reset.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #28
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Hey all, may I extend the original question, I see the list provided from 5.6.5, but my pw2 is staying on 5.4.3.2. I do have slight issues with buttons refusing to activate (but react to press, just stay "pressed", also can activate several at the same time) but nothing major, updated yesterday to the latest of the "old universal fix" and latest build of everything, now wondering if there is a point of going up the firmware chain given I have way too old firmware (pretty much the same device came with)?

Thanks
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
Hey all, may I extend the original question, I see the list provided from 5.6.5, but my pw2 is staying on 5.4.3.2. I do have slight issues with buttons refusing to activate (but react to press, just stay "pressed", also can activate several at the same time) but nothing major, updated yesterday to the latest of the "old universal fix" and latest build of everything, now wondering if there is a point of going up the firmware chain given I have way too old firmware (pretty much the same device came with)?

Thanks
You do not have to 'go up the chain'.
The PW-2 has always used the 'full image' updates.
It never used the 'incremental' style updates.
Just pick the one you want to run.
Ref: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...69#post3562169

If you want to stay with a firmware version that can still be jailbroken if something goes wrong in the future, then:
Go to current jail break:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
Scroll down to Step #7 -
In section: "Amazon" -
Open spoiler -
Pick from the list for your device, I only included versions that can still be jail broken.

With everything updated as you posted, your jail break will survive (and auto-reinstall) following the Amazon update.
It will also survive an update to newer versions than the ones I list, it is just with those there is "no going back" if you change your mind.

Last edited by knc1; 08-02-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #30
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Thanks knc1, very detailed and helpful response, downloading now the last of the "breakable"
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware update, kindle, pw2