Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-17-2016, 07:01 PM   #241
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojofo View Post
I would appreciate it if Kobo could open up more possibilities for dictionaries in future, particularly allowing several dictionaries for each language. I can't beleive that this would be so complicated.
Without having access code, there is no real way to tell how complicated it is. But, it probably isn't that hard allow other dictionaries to be used. Unfortunately, that is only part of the problem.

The bigger issue is making sure that the random dictionary that someone added works and doesn't break anything else. That will probably be a lot more effort. Then there are the support calls for problems this causes. Overall, the costs (development, support, reputation) probably outweigh the benefits.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #242
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
I briefly read the previous posts since my last one.

Four comments:

1. penelope can merge several input dictionaries into a single dictionary. This function can be used to merge (say) several Spanish->Spanish dictionaries into a single dicthtml-es.zip file for Kobo. An example can be found in the usage message: https://github.com/pettarin/penelope#usage

2. I spent time to write this (I believe, complete) explanation about how to install Kobo dictionaries on Kobo devices, please read it: https://github.com/pettarin/penelope#kobo-devices

3. Yes, dictionary names like "dicthtml-tr-en.zip" only helps identifying the languages involved. To have them working on a Kobo device, you need to rename them to one of the "official" Kobo file names, listed (surprise surprise!) here: https://github.com/pettarin/penelope#kobo-devices

4. Rumors are spreading that penelope v3.x is not working properly. As I said previously, it might be buggy on Windows, but I am sure it works on Linux (Debian). In fact, so far I have been unable to reproduce on my Debian laptop the issues reported by a couple of (Windows) users. Since I do not own a Windows machine, I cannot investigate the issue further. Anyway, feel free to use the v2.x if it works for you.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:54 PM   #243
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(Has this thread moved from Kobo Developer's Corner sub-sub-forum to the generic Kobo sub-forum?)
Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #244
Laure-Anne
Laure-Anne began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi everyone! I saw that page on dictionnary for Kobo Aura reader and I'm glad I found it !! But I am french and I can't understand all the description to create one...
I'm looking for a Russian-French. Do you already have one ? Or can someone help me ?
Thanks so much, waiting for your answer! Have a nice day.
Laure-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:43 AM   #245
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Hi, if the dictionary you are looking for is not listed in the first post of this thread, then around there is no Kobo version already converted.

You might be able to find a StarDict Russian-French dictionary, and then you can use Penelope to convert it for Kobo, or ask someone to convert it for you.

EDIT: you might also want to look in the subforum on Kobo in French: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=261

Last edited by AlPe; 04-06-2016 at 03:48 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:08 PM   #246
Laure-Anne

Hi, thanks for your answer, is it a file like this one you are talking about ?

EDIT : From what I read (and understand) it might be the good file. But I can't find a similar post on french forum...
Could someone takes time and help me Please ?
Sorry to ask that much, I really don't understand everything to do it on my on ... :/
Have a nice day.

EDIT N2 : I tried to read a russian file and it' sur not working, no cyrillic alphabet.... What do I have to do? I read about font but I can't find one yet ><
EDIT N3 : I just figured it out and the cyrillic font (finally) works !! (So glad!!)
Just missing that helpful dico, pleaaaaaaaaaase someone helps me
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 stardict-RF-LingvoUniversal-2.4.2.tar.bz2 (3.32 MB, 270 views)

Last edited by Laure-Anne; 04-07-2016 at 03:17 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:22 AM   #247
rmreader
rmreader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi Laure-Anne,

I converted the stardict dictionary for you using penelope. Please check that it works and report back so that Alberto can add it to the list.

Note that you may need to rename it if Russian is a language not supported by Kobo (something like dicthtml-it-fr.zip). Stupid of Kobo, but we have to live with it.

Kind regards,
Ruud
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-ru-fr.zip (3.56 MB, 3297 views)
rmreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #248
Laure-Anne

Thank you so much, you're AWESOME !!!!!
It seems to work!! You can add it to the list (But I don't know if the translation is correct, this is for my mum and I don't read russian! Not leaving with here but as soon she tries it I will tell you)
Thanks again, I really appreciate ! You made my day
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #249
Robik
Robik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud ofRobik has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmreader View Post
Note that you may need to rename it if Russian is a language not supported by Kobo (something like dicthtml-it-fr.zip). Stupid of Kobo, but we have to live with it...
If you need Russian...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272762
Robik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:43 AM   #250
Laure-Anne

Thank you for your post, I Will try it on my mum's Kobo because if I try on mine I will be totally lost x)
Have a nice day !
Old 05-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #251
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

@rmreader: thank you, added to the first post.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:38 AM   #252
San Zamoyski
Enthusiast
San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.San Zamoyski is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G
Polish dictionary:
http://xn--zabaaganionemiejsce-8fd.pl/cc-sjp/

based on Wiktionary and SJP.pl
San Zamoyski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #253
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Added, thank you.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:00 AM   #254
kobofan99
kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.kobofan99 calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Does anyone have the english wiktionary?
kobofan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:27 AM   #255
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobofan99 View Post
Does anyone have the english wiktionary?

Edit vertion here.

Edit vertion 2 here.

Edit vertion by kobofan99 here.

540,925 words (\n is new line), Sample:
Spoiler:

Code:
adonitol	n. \nribitol.
adonize	vb. \nTo make something or someone (especially a man) more beautiful
adonized	vb. \n(en-past of: adonize)
adonizes	vb. \n(en-third-person singular of: adonize)
adonizing	vb. \n(present participle of adonize English)
adoors	adv. \nAt the door; of the door.
adopt	vb. \n1 (context transitive with relationship specified English) To take by choice into relationship, (non-gloss definition: as, ) child, heir, friend, citizen, etc. \n2 (context transitive with relationship implied by context English) To take voluntarily (a child of other parents) to be in the place of, or as, one's own child. \n3 (context transitive with relationship implied by context English) To obtain (a pet) from a shelter or the wild. \n4 (context transitive with relationship implied by context English) To take by choice into the scope of one's responsibility. \n5 (context transitive English) To take or receive as one's own what is not so naturally. (rfex)\n6 (context transitive English) To select and take or approve.
adopt out	vb. \n1 To expel a son or daughter from a family by placing for adoption. \n2 To send a son or daughter away to live in another country. (Used with ''to''').
adoptabilities	n. \n(plural of adoptability English)
adoptability	n. \nThe property of being adoptable.
adoptable	a. \n1 Able to be adopted. \n2 Desirable to adopt.
adoptance	n. \n(context rare English) adoption
adopted	vb. \n(en-past of: adopt)
adoptedly	adv. \nIn a manner of something adopted.
adoptee	n. \n1 An adopted son or daughter. \n2 A person who was adopted as a child.
adoptees	n. \n(plural of adoptee English)
adopter	n. \none who adopts
adopters	n. \n(plural of adopter English)
adoptest	vb. \n(context archaic English) (en-archaic second-person singular of: adopt)
adopteth	vb. \n(en-archaic third-person singular of: adopt)
adopting	vb. \n(present participle of adopt English)
adoption	n. \nThe act of adopting, or state of being adopted; voluntary acceptance of a child of other parents to be the same as one's own child.
adoptionism	n. \n(context Christianity English) A form of Christianity which maintains that Jesus is divine only in the sense that God the Father adopted him, either at Jesus' birth, or at his death, as opposed to the orthodox understanding of the nature of the Trinity.
adoptionist	a. \nOf or pertaining to adoptionism. \nn. \n1 (context Christianity English) One who believes in or supports adoptionism. \n2 (context uncommon English) One who supports adoption.
adoptionists	n. \n(plural of adoptionist English)
adoptions	n. \n(plural of adoption English)
adoptious	a. \n(context obsolete English) adopted.
adoptive	a. \nRelated through adoption; more generally, relating to adoption.
adoptive father	n. \nA man who has adopted a child, as opposed to a biological father.
adoptive fathers	n. \n(plural of adoptive father English)
adoptive mother	n. \nA woman who has adopted a child, as opposed to a biological mother.
adoptive mothers	n. \n(plural of adoptive mother English)
adoptive sibling	n. \nA person who is not one's biological sibling, but was legally and socially raised as if they were.
adoptive siblings	n. \n(plural of adoptive sibling English)
adoptively	adv. \nIn a adoptive manner; by adoption.
adoptor	n. \n(alternative form of adopter English)
adoptors	n. \n(plural of adoptor English)
adopts	vb. \n(en-third-person singular of: adopt)
adorability	n. \nThe property of being adorable.  adorableness.
adorable	a. \nbefitting of being adored; cute or loveable.
adorableness	n. \nThe state or quality of being adorable or attractive.
adorably	adv. \nIn an adorable manner.
adorabubble	a. \n(context slang rare English) cute; lovable
adoral	a. \nLocated near the mouth
adorally	adv. \nIn an adoral way; near to the mouth.
adorant	a. \n(context poetic English) adore.
adorate	vb. \nTo worship, to adore.
adorated	vb. \n(en-past of: adorate)
adorates	vb. \n(en-third-person singular of: adorate)
adorating	vb. \n(present participle of adorate English)
adoration	n. \n1 (context countable English) An act of religious worship. \n2 (context uncountable English) admiration or esteem. \n3 (context uncountable English) The act of adoring; loving devotion or fascination.
adorations	n. \n(plural of adoration English)
adorative	a. \nPertaining to adoration.(plural of birdwing English)
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml.zip (18.88 MB, 669 views)

Last edited by oren64; 01-13-2017 at 06:59 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo dictionaries